Buyers or sellers?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Buyers or sellers?

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Despite how bad this team has looked at times I still believe if Martinez hadn’t got injured (he was on a real roll) and Reyes hadn’t gotten reinjured that this team would be leadung the division.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC, I’m not sure about division leading but I do think it would have made a huge difference. It was so disappointing to lose both those guys, especially with how insane Reyes was looking coming up.

Participant

Free

I don’t know about leading the division with all the defensive lapses and offensive issues, but we would definitely be in our normal, “acquire a reliever” and hope for the best mode rather than selling Norris and JMart

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

It appears that unless something has happened that I don’t know of or it happens in the next 15 hours or so, that once again, Slow MO and his band of bumbling fools is going to do nothing again.

Participant

Free

They’ve got to keep up their appearances that they are still trying to win to draw those 3 million+ fans

Participant

Paid - Annual

The foolish front office isn’t fooling anyone anymore. Hey DeWitt, we’re not in the midst of the chase…. sabe. Your trustworthy operations guy has fed you a line of bull and he cost you a lot of money for NOTHING in return. Actually, some of his acquisitions have cost us more than money…. wasted roster spots and the general depressed psyche of the team.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Let’s see, we traded a starting position player, and did not get any major-league ready players in return. It looks like we can officially say we fall on the “sellers” side of this trade deadline.

Management did not go all-out on selling, so it’s not like they completely gave up on 2018. The club looked at the situation with a realistic eye, knowing they likely will not go to the post season this year, so let’s see what we have that could help us next year and beyond.

And who knows, maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and surge in August and September?

Participant

Free

But then to have Mo and others say that they felt like we were still a playoff team this year…kind of have the fo now talking out of both sides of their mouths…still am scared that Mo and his group will run the team into the ground before they get the axe…

Participant

Free

bicyclemike:

They completely gave up on 2018 and for good reason. This roster has no chance of doing anything. They only acquired one guy who might help this year. The rest are prospects so there eyes are on the future. Its’ time to start preparing for 2019. They know that. There is always a time to raise the white flag, to throw in the towel, to tap out or to just say I quit.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who.did they acquire that will help them in 2019?

Participant

Free

Who.did they acquire that will help them in 2019?

Nate said this year, which is 2018. I will assume he is talking about Shreve

Participant

Free

I would say that the Cardinals were soft sellers. They didn’t trade anything that was important to this season but also didn’t acquire anything that I would consider to be important. The only thing they seemed to accomplish was to free up playing time for some prospects.

I wish they would have tried to acquire someone with a higher upside than what they did. Hopefully, they will make a trade or 2 over the winter that will thin out areas of surplus and acquire someone with a high ceiling.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fortunately or unfortunately, they still have some very talented guys at AAA that they may not want to block.

Participant

Free

I meant Shreve who could help this year. The rest are for the future.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is clear to me that the Cardinals are totally dedicated to build from within. The Pirates gave up a pair of good players with upside to get Archer. The Brewers went big to get Schoop and Mous and the Cubs picked up Hammels and a pair of solid relief pitchers. Those are solid pickups to help in a pennant run. We picked up a guy that was about fifth option in the Yankees bullpen and a passel of minor league players.

I am glad that we cleared some of the logjam that was blocking out minor league guys. I am looking forward to O’Niel and Bader in the outfield. Who will replace Fowler while he is on the DL? Do we bring up someone or do we use Munoz as the 4th outfielder since Wong will be activated. But someday I wish Mo would give up some of his precious minor league prospects for an impact player. He did for Ozuna but that has at best mixed results this season.

I hope we go all out for Arenado in 2020. That is the kind of impact player who can make a big difference on both offense and defense. Even better a trade for him in 2019 along with a long term contract.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Arenado would be a great addition, but he wants to play with a team that looks to have a chance to consistently go to the post season. It be that the Rockies are a better bet than the Cardinals, sort of like the Cubs were a better bet when Jason Heyward chose them over St. Louis. So far Heyward has been right on the money (so to speak) in his decision.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d rather aim to sign Arenado than trade prospects and then pay the money too. He’s gonna be costly both ways.

That said, the Rockies look better now but probably are not the better team, in actuality, and likely don’t have the better future. The Cardinals’ pitching base should have them turn around quickly if they can find a star hitter to go with the young guys they have. That’s why I’m all aboard the Machado train this offseason even if the cost is very high. Your best hope is that he opts out about the time that a Gorman or Montero or one of the next couple draft picks becomes a superstar himself.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So with the Cardinals new-look outfield the revamped bullpen with the younger look and the younger arms in the starting roles, including Reyes, this team might start to look like a contender again in ’19. Maybe Arendado will see it that way also. I would put him ahead of Trout and Harper on a fantasy wish list.

That’s funny about the highly overrated Heywad… now he’s part of an aging CHC team.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are not really an aging team, other than their starting rotation. They still will get a lot of good years from Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Almora, and Contreras. I thought Addison Russell would be a better player than he has shown, but he has never taken that next step to stardom.

They have some decent pitching prospects, but might want to deal Contreas or Amaya for younger pitching in the next year or two.

Participant

Free

I think that it’s more about the Cubs about whether they can actually pay all of those players enough to keep them long term, all of those players will likely want big raises with their next contracts…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good point LA.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Pham with the Rays and Fowler on the DL, the logjam is broken and there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Now the OF is no longer a problem for us.

A rumor had it that Fowler was being shopped for a PTBNN… player to be named never. There were no takers.

Participant

Free

They didn’t trade anything that was important to this season but also didn’t acquire anything that I would consider to be important. The only thing they seemed to accomplish was to free up playing time for some prospects.

I wish they would have tried to acquire someone with a higher upside than what they did.

Totally agree with these three statements.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe they tried and had to settle for less.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fwiw, a player to be named later comes from a predetermined list agreed to by both sides at the time of the transaction.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years