MLB labor unrest

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB labor unrest

This topic contains 224 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott, a lot of the commenters on Twitter are calling it that. That’s all.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not the last we’ve heard of the matter…

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This is beyond disgusting. No wonder the Cardinals (and numerous other teams) have changed their stance on arbitration to ‘File and Trial’ instead of trying to work out a deal up to the arbitration hearing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Are “File and Trial” teams more immune from criticism than the others? After reading that article, I am not sure about that at all. It talks about teams working together to set recommendations for player arbitration negotiations.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not sure how it can be collusion if the players have the option of an arbitrator if they dont like the offer. What are the teams colluding to do? – offer salaries lower than they should so they get beat in arbitration?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is much more to preparing and presenting a case than selecting a raw number. I know some/many do not subscribe to The Athletic, but the article seemed pretty clear to me. But, it was based on information from unnamed sources. So there is that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The raw numbers are a large amount but does that really tell the entire story? That is why I posted the Bob Nightengale story about their being no middle class in baseball. Sure the big stars are getting paid. We already knew that. But what is happening to the mid tier players?

If Bill Gates and I added our net worths together and divided by two the average would be a big number but that doesn’t make me any richer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In an email, I was asked this by a reader:

“I was reading your article about how the change to allow a 26th player starting next season and then only to be able to add two more players in September, instead of up to 40 (which you posited could be detrimental to prospects), and it occurred to me that MLB teams were allowed for a number of seasons in my following things (say 1960 until some time in the 80’s) to have 28 players for the 1st month of the season and then cut down to 25 around May 15th (when the season started later in April). I tried to find a discussion on one of the forums on your site that addressed your article so I could ask the question in the forum, but did not see a forum discussion of that article. Do you remember such a period when teams were allowed to start the season with 28 players for the first month? If so, do you know when that was?”

The answer is from 1957 through 1967, teams could open with 28 players but had to cut to 25 by 30 days later. In 1968, they began the rules still used today.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Long article..$subscription required.

Here is one excerpt:

The clubs can argue that the approximately $4 billion they just spent on free-agent deals and extensions is proof the system is not broken, an over-simplification, but one that many fans — and perhaps even some players — will fail to grasp.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The good news is that whether or not the public thinks the system is broken doesn’t really matter. Tony Clark will be in control to pick his battles on behalf of the players in the next CBA negotiations. My big question is whether he cares about his own middle and lower classes or focuses on the high-end guys. We already know he doesn’t give a hoot about minor leaguers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

$ubscription Required.

Jim Bowden says that Kimbrel and Keuchel not being signed is their own fault, and their agents fault. I thought you would like this Brian.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I read somewhere about one of the side effects of all the extensions being handed out is that it could make more players less inclined to strike once this CBA expires.

On another note, Ozzie Albers signed the worst contract extension I’ve ever seen for a young player.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I hate to see good players unsigned as it is bad for the game overall. I don’t know what insider info Bowden has (if he has any), but these situations are almost never one side’s fault completely. And of course, we only know what info people decide to share.

I did not follow all of their details closely as reported in the press, but IMO, Kimbrel shot himself in the foot early asking for six years at age 30. That may have been hard to overcome. I recall that Keuchel’s underlying metrics were down, increasing his risk. If their demands did not reflect reality, it could at least partly explain why they are still looking.

BHC, I heard that same logic about a strike, too, but I don’t get it. If they strike, they won’t get paid, anyway. But something had to cause this stampede to sign. I consider it a widespread lack of confidence in their union leader that the next deal he negotiates for the players will be better than the one in place now.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Albies deal was just terrible from a player standpoint. The Braves could build themselves something if they continue to use their money wisely and get team friendly contracts like Acuna’s e Albies’.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This story got a lot of attention, but considering their Union head already said there will not be a strike, the players threats seem like a lot of puffery. Two-plus more years of rhetoric ahead…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s hard to feel all that sorry for young men who are making 10x what the average person makes at minimum. The system needs tweaking, to be sure, and I’m certain it will be, but none of them are sitting in the poor house unless they’re simply wasting their money. Maybe they agree to one less year before free agency or maybe they start arbitration a year earlier. A strike would be a huge mistake on both sides so I hope they’re smart enough to avoid it.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

if the guys at the top striked for the guys in the minors…then i would be impressed…. but their words about fairness and caring about those who came before them and all that fall pretty shallow if they arent FIRST talking about the minor league fairness in pay

they all want through it (for the most part) and yet they only seem to care about the guys at the top (themselves)

I think a lot of what they say is very valid, but i dont care about protecting the millionaires when the kids who shared busses with them for years cant afford to not have a second job to play professionally

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I rarely agree with Jon Heyman, but my sense (albeit from a long distance) was similar to his. The Players Association letting their top lawyer go seems an odd move. Tony Clark was a good player, but I am still amazed he was given an extension as the union leader.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This includes accusations from some that Boras is now in control of the Players Union…

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Millionaire League Baseball strike? You gotta be kidding. The last strike took years to recover from and this one could be even worse. During the last strike the average pay was not 4 MILLION for a MLB ballplayer. Hard to have sympathy for even those at minimum major league pay which is well over one half million per season. Working stiffs support this game and working stiffs have a hard time with tears and whines from multi-millionaires.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Working stiffs used to support this game. I imagine a huge majority of season ticket sales are corporate types. This “labor unrest” is a game of millionaires vs billionaires. The rest of us are just bystanders.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The last strike nearly killed the game. It’s millionaires versus billionaires, so very difficult to side with either.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The noise over Boras influencing the Players Association was loud enough that both sides issued formal denials.

No way would Boras get one over on Tony Clark! 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years