MLB labor unrest

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB labor unrest

This topic contains 231 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 226 through 232 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An MLB proposal to push signings sooner is shot down by the Union. Of course, Boras has his own ideas…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree with the owners on this one. Having these signings drag out until February or March or later is absurd. I didn’t read the article because I didn’t renew my subscription to The Athletic so I don’t know what the proposed deadline was. I would think December 31 or January 15 would be reasonable.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As it said above (thought worded clumsily), the deadline in the proposal was the Winter Meetings, which is the second week in December. Maybe MLB hoped the players would compromise with end of year or January 15, but they flatly rejected the idea.

Of course, ownership motivation is to force players to take lower offers on multiyear deals or settle for one-year contracts.

My opinion is that I don’t care about a deadline. If free agents want to wait to sign, why stop them? Who does it hurt more than them?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this idea could have been negotiated in a way that is best for players and for teams. Some players,
    and some teams, have been getting hurt by not coming to terms until sometime in March or later. Setting up some kind of deadline, would prevent agents from holding up a signing while they wait for comps on other players as they are signed. Players would have to decide how much they should hold out for, and teams would have less time to to make up their minds about if they want to go with a relatively sure thing in a veteran player, or take a chance on an unproven player. It would bring more order into the whole free agent process. There could be a signing deadline of, say, December 21. And then open things up for unsigned players again on March 15. Free agency has changed. I think the MLBPA has made a mistake by not opening up to change.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If free agents want to wait to sign, why stop them? Who does it hurt more than them?

I think bunching all of the signings into a smaller time frame would generate huge fan interest, which is what the NBA does in late June/early July. The winter meetings could become a huge event instead of just watching the same broadcasters trying to find something interesting to talk about for four days.

Some may argue that stretching the signings out over the entire winter keeps fans engaged but I would say those are mostly the hard core fans.

Of course I am assuming the owners and players even care about fan interest in these signings which may be a very naive assumption.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather see more pay go to the minor league players than looking for how to make billionaires out of the multi-millionaires. At least pay them for spring training.

And wasn’t it sad that Washington lost Bryce Harper to free agency after offering him 300 million.

Harper and Machado holding out as long as they did caused a lot of the late signings.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Heck of a time to stop doing this.

Viewing 7 posts - 226 through 232 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years