MLB labor unrest

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB labor unrest

This topic contains 224 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here are the specifics for 2019 and 2020.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One of the more important functions of a union is to provide job security for its members. In some cases the union will require that the employer hire back employees who have been laid off prior to allowing new personnel to be hired. Sometimes the union will limit the number of job applicants that will be accepted into the union. I don’t see how this can work with baseball. I don’t see how you can guarantee a job to a 32 year old player just because his stats are just as good, or better, than a lower paid prospect. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Bad day for LOOGYs and a good day for backup catchers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I don’t mind most of the changes though there are a few I don’t like. I don’t like them limiting the September call ups, doesn’t make sense to me. cutting trades off at july 31, im not a big fan of though it doesn’t really bother me that much. I do like that they moved the injured list back to 15 days. teams were exploiting the ten day list too much. you cant give teams anything without them doing that.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I hate the 3 batter min for pitchers just a STUPID change IMHO, sometimes you can tell a pitcher doesn’t have it and now you let the other team get to pound him for 3 hitters just STUPID!!!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like these proposals……subscription required.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The main takeaway I have from this is that there needs to be a payroll floor. I would propose $100M.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ben Frederickson states this very eloquently in his P-D chat today:

Question:
    Future of big FA winter signings has come to an end it seems. I think that is a good news for baseball in general. It was never fair for teams in a small market to give into owners with deep pockets. I am sure big market teams will continue to try to sign big FA when they become available . It was nice to see how teams are starting to lock up young and old star players to long term contracts. I think this will lead to teams continuing to develop their young players and locking them up for long terms. Yours comments is appreciated . Thank you

Answer:
    It’s good news for the owners. And it’s definitely good news for the Cardinals, considering one area they have struggled in (free agency) is becoming less appealing to talented players. And, if a player gets an extension he’s happy with, it’s good news for him, in that sense. I think, overall, the players are going to need to examine ways to make free agency valuable again, for players beyond the in-their-prime superstars. The extensions being handed out are team friendly if the players who are getting them continue to perform. I know that sounds crazy to think about with Trout, but he likely would have made more in a free-agent setting. Now, that might not be the most important thing to him. He was happy. Now he as security. Good for him. I’d do the exact same thing. But what players must also realize is that all salaries stack off of previous salaries. So, if Trout makes X per season over the course of the extension, that number will be a ceiling for other players. It’s business. The owners tend to have the upper hand. The players get their only real leverage when free-agency occurs, and it’s never been such a turn-off. Another interesting note is that the big-market teams are also turning a cold shoulder toward free agency. That’s how the Padres get Machado, for example.

BenFred

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont agree. The salary a guy signs 1-2 years in advance of free agency doesnt set the ceiling for FAs. Everyone understands that their is a discount if for no other reason then the team takes on a couple of years of performance and injury risk. Owners know it. Agents know it. The union knows it. Informed players know it.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trout has already banked $80M…. and ‘now he has security’. I don’t get what causes a guy to say something that dumb.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought everyone knew this was to keep prospect service time down. I never thought of it in any other terms.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, you are more knowledgeable than many fans.

The owners motives are clear, but they couldn’t have done it without MLBPA support. What bothers me the most is that the union again sells prospects out for their own members’ benefit.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Good lord the MLBPA is either completely incompetent or they lack any kind of code of ethics to keep supporting rules that penalize players.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

BHC – they hope it will help veterans. That is who they care about.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s why we have a DH too right?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great article Brian. And just when we thought the owners weren’t cheapskates?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it makes sense to require teams to
    win with the players that got them to where they are rather than with a whole slew of players that the average fan never heard of.

Using round numbers that say a major league ball player gets about $100K per month, then the cost of adding a player for the season would be $600K, add to that 2 months @ $100K for the two players brought up for September, and the total cost for the changes is $800K. Of course, if the cost for that 26th player was greater than $100K per month, the total cost would be greater than $800K. If a team would increase their roster by 10 for September, that would cost $1,000,000.

The benefit for the union is that they get another one of their members on the clock,
    plus they keep 8 or more minor league prospects who are looking for a major league job out of sight and out of mind until next spring.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar mudville.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How do you define collusion?

NJ315
    Participant

Is not collusion is one of the side effects of capitalism

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who said anything about collusion?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years