MLB labor unrest

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB labor unrest

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Manfred that this is not the way to negotiate. I don’t know why Wainwright would do that. I guess he feels he can say what he wants since he has already made his millions. How convenient.

On the other hand after hearing comments from Wainwright, Bauer, Verlander, and others, if there are any owners out there with their heads in the sand thinking everything is “hunky dory” they can now think otherwise.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Serve and volley…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joel Sherman is all over it. Click on other tweets to see the entire thread.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If baseball disappeared, most of the billionaires would simply reallocate their investments, while most of the the millionaires would have to settle for jobs of exponentially decreased pay. Wainwright needs to re-focus on tweaking his arm slot, release point, or some other body mechanic so he can cut his ERA in half this year.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t help but wonder if Boras is at the bottom of all this ‘labor unrest’. He is a master at using the media to reach his own objectives.

Surely, Harper and Machado have been offered at least $200M.
    But they say ‘No. You’re being unfair to me. You have to give me $300M, or I’m not going to be on your team’.

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Harper is a Boras client, but Machado is not. Boras does represent a number of other top remaining free agents.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One of the national writers suggested that Boras and Dan Lozano (Machado’s agent) do not like each other therefore this has become a competition between the two. Neither wants to be the first to sign believing that the last one standing will have more teams bidding on them.

I don’t know if that is true or not, and after four months of offseason, I don’t really care anymore. Both of these players are going to get big contracts within the next week or two. It is the mid-tier free agents who are facing more uncertainty.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It amazes me how many people do not seem to understand this, apparently even some players.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wish a writer (Brian? 🙂 ) had the tenacity to ask Wainwright what specific player demand would need to be addressed to squash talk of a mid season walkout. Is there one on the table? I dont think so.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems pretty clear that Wainwright went too far with his mid-season strike comment. He likely would not admit it publicly, but his actions afterward (Twitter engagement with fans, bringing kids into the facility to sign autographs in a photo op the next morning) smell like damage control to me. Unfortunately, by the time I get to camp (when minor league games start), this story will be old news. Bottom line: The idea of a mid-season strike is ridiculous. That is emotion talking, not a clear head.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

But my point remains, the players are complaining but as far as they know the union has made no specific proposal as to what they want to see changed.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Brian be the brave reporter who stirs the pot? Guess we will see in the member articles when he gets there!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cc, we all already know the answer. There is no proposal on the table. In this case, Manfred was right.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A voice of reason?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Miller is already skilled the The Cardinal Way, I see. 😎

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because he knows he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am guessing the author started on this article before Clark affirmed there will be no strike now, but it is still worth reading to see the players articulate their issues. The faulty (and sad) assumption being made is that a strike will be necessary after 2021 because negotiations will fail. Way to go into it with a positive outlook, players. A real vote of confidence in their leader, Tony Clark!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s keep an open mind please. This has to be the most pro management board out there. Good grief.

Tony Clark has to muzzle 750 players so there will always be some loose cannons spouting off. Manfred only has to speak for 30 owners so it is probably easier for him to keep them out of the media, except for the Ricketts emails.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If Arrieta is representative of the thinking of other players then there is going to be a problem. To win at labor negotiations you have to understand what is important to the other side. Arrieta thinks the objective of the owners is to win? WRONG. It is to make money. Unless the players understand that fundamental issue it is going to be difficult.

It is also hard to make the argument “tanking” is bad for the game given how revenues habe risen in the age of tanking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I cannot speak for others, but I am all for the players exercising their right to negotiate for what they deem most important. I’ve also written that they have every right to strike in 2022 if they cannot come to terms – after good faith negotiations by both sides.

One big problem as I see it is that the players are terrible at everything about negotiating and then complain when it doesn’t go their way. As a result, I am not very sympathetic about the mess they got themselves in.

If you want to preach on “open minds”, tell the players who are spouting off about being 100% sure of a strike in three years from now. Those are the minds that matter and they don’t sound very open to me. And they are veterans who should be more aware, not less.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cc, to your points, we also have the exhibits of the Cubs and Astros who tanked the way to World Series titles. I am not saying they shouldn’t adjust the game’s economics, but the talk about “burning the whole system down” shows me how naive some are.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

About the only players I ever see defended on here are minor league players.

I certainly don’t see the MLBPA as a shining example of a stellar organization. Hardly. But there is no doubt in my mind there are numerous owners who put economics as a much higher priority than winning which is a real shame for the fans. My point is that there are rotten apples on BOTH sides so blaming everything on the players and Boras doesn’t seem balanced.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We clearly see things differently. I haven’t seen anyone here “blaming everything on the players and Boras”.

In fact, partially because the subject is so sensitive to you, I’ve gone out of my way to compliment Boras for being very good at his job. I am very sincere about that. He is really adept at using the system to try to get the most for his clients, which are the only people who should matter to him. My issue is with those who blame the owners for a slow market without also acknowledging that making an early offer to Boras is usually a total waste. The system that is in place does not encourage early offers and signings. Owners wait for prices to go down and agents wait until teams are desperate enough to increase their bids. Whether or not you like it, an inordinate percentage of the top tier of the remaining unsigned free agents are Boras clients. That is not assessing blame – it is stating fact.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.