Baseball America Cardinals prospect rankings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Baseball America Cardinals prospect rankings

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is still 16 prospects better than Carlson?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In all of baseball? Yes.

Participant

Free

I’m a little shocked Montero is still in the top 100. I’m not an expert like some of you, but as far as the top 100 goes in my humbled opinion…..

– Carlson in the 15-30 range
    – Gorman – 20-35 range
    – Rondon – 45-55
    – Knizner – 75-100
    – Herrera – 80-120 (most under valued guy in the system)
    – Montero, Lane Thomas, Arozarena, Torres and Nunez in the 95-150 range
    – Justin Williams, Junior F, Cabrera, Whitley and Thompson between 150-250

For what FA relievers go for these days, the Junior F. and Whitley types are often passed over on top prospect lists, but can be just as important and valuable to a ML club. Cabrera has electric stuff and could be a great lefty to add to that young duo if he can figure out how to throw strikes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondon and Arozarena are the most undervalued IMO. I could see Rondon breaking camp in 2020 as our fifth starter, but likely will be sent to Memphis. Since he excelled in the notoriously hitter friendly Texas League he is near ready. Arozarena has impressed me with his opposite field hitting, which was his big improvement in 2019. I think he can hit .300 plus with 20 homer potential.

Participant

Paid - Annual

C27, Interesting projections on Randy. I hope you are right. How do you think he compares to Oscar Mercado?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Arozarena will hit better and have more power than Mercado. But Mercado is the better fielder, and is a natural center fielder, where Arozarena is more of a corner guy who can play center.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For me, Mercado has the profile of a Kevin Pillar-type. Arozarena is a flashier version of Gerardo Parra. Arozarena doesn’t have plus power, but he will run into 10 or more homers with plus on-base ability. He can steal 15-20 bags and play solid defense wherever. He’s a spark-plug type.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With a profile like that for Arozarena, that’s why I was hoping he would get more playing time when he originally came up. I would like to see a lineup where we have a few spark plug type players to go along with the mashers. Make the lineup more balanced.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who are you going to sit?

Participant

Paid - Annual

For those of us who haven’t seen much of Arozarena yet, it’s hard to sum him up. But if he is really a spark plug like you say, Schildt will definitely find a place for next year. Players that play hungry are the most fun to watch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Baseball America has their top 10 Cards prospects this Wednesday. BA also has a chat which is pretty cool too.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1 Carlson
    2 Gorman
    3 Cabrera
    4 Helsley
    5 Herrera
    6 Thompson
    7 Knizner
    8 Thomas
    9 Montero
    10 Arozarena

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2020-st-louis-cardinals-top-mlb-prospects/

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry it is today. The chat is interesting as well. Which should be this afternoon.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Interesting that Helsley and Thomas were eligible for Baseball America’s,
    but not The Cardinal Nation’s prospect list.

Participant

Free

Even with Helsley, Cabrera and Thomas eligible, Herrera would be my #3. All he has done is hit and held his own at 19 in A+ and the AFL. If pedigree was not such an important piece and production was a bigger one, he would be in the top 100 easily.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

flood21 said:

Interesting that Helsley and Thomas were eligible for Baseball America’s,
    but not The Cardinal Nation’s prospect list.

In past years, I would try to set the eligibility list in advance. The challenge is trying to calculate time in the majors, not at-bats or innings pitched.

This year, our community began its voting right after Labor Day and they decided together who was eligible and who was not. (You can review the voting thread to see the details.) Once they decided, then Derek and I needed to follow the same rules since our three lists are combined into one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Whatever status they are, I am excited to see Helsley and Cabrera in 2020. I very much liked their improvement they showed by the end of 2019. I am not in favor of trading CMart, but if the 2 kids continue getting better, they may force the issue. Also, they are good insurance in case Waino gets hurt.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do most scouting sites use MLB service time, or at bats/ innings? Service time seems very inaccurate to me. Just look at Lane Thomas’ situation.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

We used to not worry about service time to be consistent with BA because they were the standard and actually few other places did real prospect rankings. BA is no longer the standard (mostly because they put their rankings behind a paywall). MLB pipeline is now the most referenced (probably because many uninformed think that there is actual input from the teams) so it makes some sense to now align with them and use rookie status – though I contend personally that service time does nothing in a player not being classified as a prospect.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps the most interesting thing to note from the Cards’ prospect chat wasn’t anything about a Cards prospect at all…but that BA’s data indicates that there are about 110 future all stars in the minor leagues every year. That number is a bit mind blowing. I wonder how many are in the Dominican and GCL where it would be hard to predict such future success?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/st-louis-cardinals-2020-top-10-mlb-prospects-chat/

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just want to mention that Baseball America had Jurickson Profar as the best prospect in all of baseball at one time.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just want to mention that Baseball America had Jurickson Profar as the best prospect in all of baseball at one time.

I can recall many fans proposing a hypothetical trade of Oscar Taveras for Jurickson Profar when both were still in the minors. Of course the tragedy of Taveras then happened, not that the the trade would have ever happened anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a footnote. Derrick Goold has made it clear that BA’s Kyle Glaser did the Cardinals top 10, not him.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder how close Zach Thompson is to the show.

Participant

Free

Gamecard, I’m far from an expert, but I would guess mid 2021 at the absolute earliest. Mainly due to the starting options ahead of him. JF, Mikolas, Hudson, Waino (2020), Ponce, Gomber, Woodford, Helsley, Cabrera, Reyes, Rondon, Oviedo, etc (I’m sure I’m missing someone) are all ahead of him currently on the depth chart, things can chance fast of course but my prediction is May 5, 2022 is his first call up.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years