Baseball America 2019 prospect rankings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Baseball America 2019 prospect rankings

This topic contains 84 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar mudville 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs generally seem to be considered in the bottom tier of farm systems in MLB.

(The Red Sox and Yankees were also shut out of this new top 100.)

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Yankees always seem to have prospects that teams want even when their players are not ranked that highly.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not that MLB rankings are very credible but…. San Diego has 10 in the first 92 of their top prospects, 4 of the top 10 LHPs. So the rumors of them looking at Machado and Harper may have some merit. Even if half of their top 10 work out with some success or more, it looks they may need a headliner for their rebuilding very young team.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just to clarify, BA first announced this same top 30 on January 1 (see page 1 of this thread), but perhaps non-subscribers could only see the top 10. I am not sure about that, though.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1019/st-louis-cardinals/organizational/?year=2019

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe they just announced the top 10 on Jan. 1. BA made the top 30 available online for the first time today.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just received my BA Prospect handbook yesterday. It’s about the 8th or 9th year in a row I have one. Sometimes it is interesting to go back and see a player you missed, or was a late bloomer. For example, I think I looked up Mikolas when he was with the Rangers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I have each year’s BA Prospect Handbook in my bookcase, too, for reference. Though I use them much less than I used to. (I don’t ever buy the BP Annual, though.)

Derek, thank you for the clarification and the full list. I don’t have a major concern with it. I do have the outfielders in the 11-20 range in a different order from them. They are not high on Baker, but we shall see…

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Milb ranks Cards farm system 12th. Perhaps a little higher than most analysts.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/farm-system-rankings-overall-20-11/c-304727346

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(Please move the discussion just above to the MiLB ranking thread. Thanks.)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Baseball America updated its top 100. Hudson has graduated. Gorman jumped from no. 69 to 47, but Montero slides five places from no. 75 to 80.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One pitcher that I have been taking note of is Kodi Whitley who earned his 6th and 7th save for Springfield at Amarillo the last two nights. The Sod Poodles scoreboard show him throwing 97-98 fastballs with a breaker in the high 80’s. Those guns are often a bit fast but when I look at his career he has been consistently good.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Whitley is for real. It looks to me as though he has two breaking pitches and a reasonable change. His fastball is different than Helsley’s in that it jumps out of his hand and he can spot it. Helsley’s 100 mph heater was usually high and setting up his other pitches. Whitley works off the heater and doesn’t allow much hard contact.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley was singled out last year by his manager in an article here as a guy with big league chops. He’s a guy who may be pretty valuable in a year or two.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

He is a major trade chip right now if we are really delving into the second and third tier of the relief market. A Barraclaugh for Mujica-type trade could include Whitley if we wanted to hold on to Junior Fernandez.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Honestly, that’s a really good sign given that we graduated three of our best players from the list in Reyes, O’Neill, and Hudson.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Certainly that is one view, but another is that the guys replacing them are not of the same caliber. The less positive angle is that no. 16 is the Cards’ lowest rating by BA since 2011. Still, it is mid-tier, not all that far from their usual place.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I thought they would drop to under 20 even after the graduations. I didn’t expect the guys ‘replacing’ them so to speak to shoot up the rankings by mid-season, like Carlson.

Especially if we had all our eggs in just a couple baskets like Montero, Cabrera, and Gorman. But it seems to have worked out for now. I can see us really coming back heavy in the overall rankings by this time next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman #31 and Carlson #52.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals system dropped from 16th last month to 17th in BA’s newest organization rankings. Probably more about other systems’ prospects moving at the deadline.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-mlb-organization-talent-rankings/

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baseball America once said that Forrest Whitley was the best pitching prospect in all of baseball. Then, Whitley got busted for steroids. He hasn’t pitched well since. In fact, he’s pitched so poorly that you can hardly call him a prospect based on his current stats. Yet, BA ranks him 8th in their Top 100. I think sports media, written and spoken, are basically contributing to the problem by effectively ignoring it, particularly at the major league level.

MLB is always trying to do something to make the game more attractive to fans. I think the answer is right out in front, staring MLB right in the face. It’s steroids at the MLB level. Get rid of steroids. Even if it continues to be, for the most part unspoken, people still sense that something is wrong and it turns them off. Competition is supposed to be about bringing out the best in an athlete, or anyone else for that matter. It’s not supposed to be about dominating the other team and its players, although admittedly, it sure is fun being in First Place with room to spare.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

New top 100 rankings came out:

17- Carlson
    39- Gorman
    76- Montero

And IMO Rondon will be on that list next year.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years