Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But what about Dexter Fowler?

Participant

Free

I’ve heard of over-rating the farm, but to think all these guys are all-stars that are somehow blocked by the likes of a guy like Archer. What?

Participant

I know I am missing something but I can’t understand the fascination with Archer. What I do know is that he is not an ace.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Archer racks up a lot of strikeouts. Maybe that’s what gets the fascination going. Too bad he can’t find a way to get more WINS.

I think the biggest upside with Archer is that he pitches 200 innings. Those 200 innings would go a long way to keeping the bullpen from getting overused especially when we’re trying to ease these young pitchers like Weaver and Flaherty into the major leagues. I don’t know what a fair price would be for Archer, but I would not trade Reyes or Flaherty for him.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i guess i am the guy… wins are a terrible indicator of a good player…especially one on a team that is in the AL East…. TOR, BAL, BOSOX, NYY all have been and are pretty intimidating,,, veen when TB had a few good years Archer still held his own

200 innings nad over 200 K’s in the AL east… AND has an amazing contract…and the guy isnt that old…

Archer plus Colome mega deal..to shore up pitching for not just this year

then spend some cash on a hitter taking advantage of the low salary cost of Archer and Colome
    Hosmer works… though his price range and years is getting a bit troubling…though SD and KC arent exactly primed for long term success.. StL has that ability…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m getting the impression the Cards may be done with trades for the winter. It may be free agency or bust the rest of the way. The asking price for prospects is just not to their liking especially after giving up some for Ozuna.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The trade I’d love to see happen is Donaldson and Asuna from the Blue Jays. Seems unlikely, but so does Colome and Archer from the Rays. After the beating that the Cardinals took over signing Peralta after his steroid bust, I can’t get enthusiastic about a trade for Colome. MO’s comment that ‘We are not the morality police’ is something of a cop out, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cards took much of beating over signing Peralta, especially when he played above expectations in 2014 and 2015. Let’s not forget, the team employed Mark McGwire and Ryan Franklin for years. The steroid stigma is primarily a matter from the past.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Id be fine with a trade of Stroman and Osuna…. or a trade for Osuna and a trade for Archer separately

Participant

Paid - Annual

It was only four years ago that the Cardinals were getting criticized for signing Peralta. That’s when MO had to defend himself by saying ‘We are not the morality police’, which I still think was a cop out. If ‘we’ are not he morality police, then who are the morality police?

I feel confident that steroids are pretty much out of the minor league experience. I’m equally confident that steroids are still being used internationally. Re: Delvin Perez

As far as the major leagues are concerned, there is still evidence that steroids are still being used.
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/05/05/ped-suspensions-steroids-dee-gordon-turinabol
    The question that remains partially open is ‘Have some major league ballplayers found a way to circumvent the protocol that is supposed to eliminate steroid use from the major leagues?’ I think that some players have, in fact, found a way to beat the system. I thought that some of the MLB channel’s hosts were hinting that steroids were still being used when they were comparing a couple of players who were hitting a lot of HR’s last season to players from the steroid era that hit a lot of HR’s i.e. Bonds, McGwire

I’ll say this. If Major League Baseball is enabling players and organizations to use steroids, it runs the risk of a backlash from fans, especially fans who think they have been deprived by cheaters of their right to be in the postseason.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All well and good, but tell me specifically how the Cards signing Peralta did any measurable damage. OK, some people complained. The “backlash” was talk and nothing more. Did they stop going to games? Watching on TV? Posting on message boards? I think not.

If they get Colome, his history will not matter one bit.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derrick Goold tweet:

During an interview on @MLBNetwork this morning, All-Star 3B Evan Longoria was describing the trade to #SFGiants and said “it came down to a few, and really the last two were the #Cardinals and the Giants.”

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/951844151229861888

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

very interesting…it felt like that was a deal that was close to happening…

makes me still feel hopeful for an ARcher and Colome..or just Archer or Colome deal still happening…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of. Per Nightengale:

Alex Colome, who is on the trade block and coveted by the #STLCards, gets $5.3 million from #Rays

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/951874750120312834

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not just sign Addison Reed and keep your prospects and players?That just makes more sense to me.Rumors say Reed wants 3-4 years 8-9 million yearly.If thats the case then sign him MO/Girsch instead of haggling for every nickel.Reed is the young good bullpen guy available and has been a closeer.Sign him MO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree BW. Reed seems to be the logical choice.

Even Goold took some time away from puns and anecdotes to talk some actual baseball.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/goold-will-cardinals-create-another-closer/article_dc505827-ba5b-5971-ae56-f5b049802a2d.html

Participant

Sign Reed and keep the kids… the numbers sound about right.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they should sign Reed as long as his demands do not exceed his value based on the organization’s analytics. IMO, signing any player, based on fear of what might happen to you if you don’t, is a mistake.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they should sign Reed as long as his demands do not exceed his value based on the organization’s analytics. IMO, signing any player, based on fear of what might happen to you if you don’t, is a mistake.

True, but not signing a player based on fear of what might happen if you do, can be a mistake also. Eventually you have to have someone take the field.

It isn’t much consolation to finish in second place but be able to say ” at least we didn’t spend too much on our players”. Who cares?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold’s earlier note that the Cards asked the Rays about Archer was tacked onto the end of a Morosi story about Darvish today. Those on Twitter who hadn’t seen it before are all excited as if it is fresh.

https://www.mlb.com/news/several-teams-still-circling-yu-darvish/c-265053892

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because he is staying in touch with his GM, Archer is pretty confident he is not being traded.

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/01/24/chris-archer-confident-he-wont-be-traded-by-tampa-bay-rays-anytime-soon/

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

saw that…. though you never know, could just be a ploy

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course. You could make the exact same post about every rumor that is reported all winter long. Nothing is 100 percent until it is done, but in this case, the source is the player himself, talking about his conversations with his GM. It is clearly one mark in the column for not trading him.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree…though maybe the GM spoke to him on purpose 🙂

It wouldnt be the first time a player was wrong about their situations or roles or whatever

And this line of thinking is all temporal…i mean the Rays GM talked to him at that point in time…maybe that was the idea then…but it seems like it wasnt so up until that time, so what got him to be so sure at that point? Probably discussions on trades (we know the Cardinals talked with them right?) have either halted or not gone the way they wanted…so right now Archer is staying put…of course he is, i mean unless the situation changes… which could happen at any time… and a little ploy of telling a player he isnt going anywhere in hopes of said player being put into a situation where he is asked about his situation will say what he just heard which might just buy the extra leverage the GM is wanting to get in getting talks started back up or getting a better offer

If he had been adamant about not being moved from day one of the offseason, and there was no chatter about us being in contact with them about Archer…then sure…

I mean didnt Verlander say he wasnt going to the Stros up until minutes before he finally agreed?

IMO…after reading that…i think Archer isnt going anywhere until the trade deadline…i think he WILL be moved this year though…my opinion of course

However, that still wont stop me from wanting them to change the situation and change the GMs mind right now thus making Archer’s sureness words not false but only temporal to a different situation

Team Archer!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tampa seems to be getting serious about shedding payroll. I’m wondering if we could entice them to finally trade Archer and/or Colome if we also take on Span to be our 4th OF. I imagine getting rid of Span’s money would be very tempting for the Rays. Maybe Flaherty, Kelly, Tuivaliala, Hicks, and Wisdom for Archer, Colome, and Span.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years