Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Longoria would most likely be a step down from Gyorko. Per BR, both had a 3.6 WAR last year, and both hit 20 homers – but Longoria had almost 200 more ABs that Jedd. Longoria’s OPS+ was 100, or exactly average. Jedd was 112, or 12% better than average.

Then you add the age difference into the mix, Jedd at 29 and Evan at 32, and you have to think Jedd will most likely be as good or better than Evan over the next 2-3 years.

Longoria is a guy that we should only bring in if we have to take him as part of a deal that overall makes us stronger, despite the negative impact at third base. Or obviously if Gyorko has not gone anywhere and we turn Longoria around to someone else in another deal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m really doubting we do the one year rentals on Donaldson or Machado. I would bet it is more likely we get something done with the Rays. If we do the blockbuster for Longoria, Colome, and Archer how much would we part with?

I would offer Gyorko, Grichuk, Wacha, Kelly, Flaherty, and Hicks. I suspect the Rays would want a different package but that offer would be my preference. We really need to trade our arb eligible guys if possible. That would free up enough enough payroll space to go after Darvish.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tampa Bay Times reporting Longoria has been traded to the Giants.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Giants get Longoria and cash for Christian Arroyo, Denard Span, Matt Krook and Stephen Woods, according to Passan and Rosenthal.

Participant

Good.

Participant

That’s the SFG #1 #25 and #29… and Span. Seems a lot.

Participant

Paid - Annual

To me this is a dumb trade. The Giants take a big risk and move even closer to the luxury tax threshold. I don’t see how that makes sense because now they have even less money to spend to improve their team. And the Rays get a shortstop who’s been around since 2013, has had only one really good year offensively, and has so far shown only marginal power. And, BTW, the Rays already have three other prospects in their Top 10 who are shortstops, Willy Adames (#2), Wander Franco (#6), and Lucius Fox (#7). The Rays, also get two pitching prospects who are almost complete unknowns plus Denard Span who is 33 years old, brings a -1.1 WAR, and is owed almost as much money as Longoria will get in the next two years. And to top it all off, the Rays will give money to the Giants as part of this deal.

Just speculating, but maybe the Cardinals indicated that they were not interested in acquiring Longoria, and the Rays felt they had to act fast in order to get his salary off their books.

Participant

Free

A few years back I talked with a junior giants exec randomly. Their philosophy is to go after veterans who produce. It is what it is. Longoria is probably better than their alternatives and if he bounced back they should be able to flip him at the deadline.

Their farm is effectively worthless. Flipping that into a guy who might get real talent in july isnt the worst idea I’ve ever seen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Luxury tax impact lessened for Giants with Span going the other way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then it almost had to be a salary dump by the Rays. After all those years of the Rays telling everybody that Longoria is untouchable, now this.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a salary dump by the Rays.

As for the Giants they seem to be spinning into that death spiral that the Phillies, Tigers, and Yankees went into a few years ago. Keep adding aging costly veterans because they are too proud for a rebuild or even a reboot. The Yankees got smart and came out of it but this won’t end well for the Giants.

Participant

Free

I just hope that Gyorko plays well this year or we’ll really be in trouble as then we’d have to just try to make a guy fit at 3B…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Its to early to give up on Donaldson.

Participant

Donaldson is not a good fit. He is 32. He is a righty. He will cost prospects and then a long term contract. Tap the free agent market now. Hosmer and to lesser extent Moustakas are much better fits.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I remember around 2007 when you could have had Beltre for free just to take on his contract. If Longorie has a similar comback the Giants could hit the jackpot.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yikes… Longoria’s contract wasnt that bad….i kind of wish we would have talked to the Giants about a Gyorko Arroyo swap

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Whitey always said you should trade three good players for one great one. Longoria isn’t great, but Donaldson is. I would give Gyorko, Wacha, Grichuk, and a pitcher like Artie Reyes for Donaldson without hesitation. This would improve the Blue Jays and Cards right now. That group might not produce 7 war, but they would be close. It takes the years of control down from the 18 Mo lamented to a more palatable 8 or 9 not counting Reyes.

Participant

Donaldson will need a contract extension. He is 32, how many years and how much money after 2018 would you give him? We need a lefty hitter not a righty. I rather have Hosmer or Moustakas if 3B is your preference. Both younger than Donaldson and lefties. Will only cost the contract and you won’t be paying Donaldson from 33 on for more money.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cut out the we need a lefty hitter when it comes to Donaldson. Donaldson hits righty pitching much better than the lefty batting Moustakas and equally good as the lefty hitting Hosmer.

Participant

What about the rest? 33 on how much are you paying him? and you can make your point without being condescending is annoying.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont know. What about the rest?

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I pay him to be the next Hall of Fame bound Cardinal. I give him 4 @ 124 million.

Participant

CC what is the contract extension you give Mr. Donaldson at age 33?

Participant

31 M per year age 33-36.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I certainly would prefer Donaldson at $30mm a year than Hosmer at $20mm+ per year.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years