Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The ice should be broken up a little and with THE meetings starting up manana things will begin bubbling up more interest. Go get ’em Moz. but don’t give away the ranch!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A no-win situation, likely. No matter what the Cards do, some will be unhappy. Gave up too much, didn’t get enough, spent too much money, gave too many years, etc.

Participant

Free

Well you have to wonder, if say Mo was to make a big deal and then we miss the playoffs and he loses his job I’d have to have a deal Mo made this year tie the hands of the next guy…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Nightengale this morning:

The #STLCards and #Rockies are aggressively pursuing #Rays closer Alex Colome in trade talks

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/940202793972961281

Participant

Paid - Annual

Where would Colome prefer to pitch ? Homerun haven Colorado or Busch?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Colome has any say over where he is traded, but I imagine he has his preferences.

Participant

Free

Bernie had this to say

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would like to see a Colome pickup but Longoria? No thanks. I’ll take Jedd Gyorko over him, and especially for the $$.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

love that we are talking Archer too

I’d think Longoria is of interest as a way to save the Rays money…he is useful but is far from our big bat we’d want

but a trade of Longoria, Colome, Archer goes a long way into making a big splash

Archer, Colome, Longoria
    for?
    Reyes, Hudson, Alcantara, Tuivalala, Gyorko, Sierra, Grichuk

then

Abreu
    for?
    Kelly, Fernandez

then

Ryan Dull (A’s RP)
    for
    Piscotty

Pham, Abreu, Longoria, Fowler, DeJong, Wong, Bader
    Archer,CMart,Wacha,Waino/Weaver/Mikolos(2)
    Colome, Gregerson, Dull, Cecil, Lyons, Brebbia, Bowman
    FA catcher, JMart, Garcia, BAder, Carp
    we add:
    15million ish for Abreu (arb) (here until 2020)
    13.5 for Longoria (here until 2023)
    6.4 for Archer (here until at least 2021)
    Colome…i dunno it’s his 1st year in arb…5mil?

get back:
    1.3 for PIscotty
    6.5 for Gyorko

that makes for addition salary total of around 32million
    to add to
    Mikolos 7.25
    Gregerson 5.5

equalling about 45 million added before arbs of our own (taking off Grichuk)

Not a bad looking team and not bad use of money….we lose some major prospect depth but we get back parts that are young and affordable even beyond the 2 years of Abreu…
    rotation is strengthened, lineup is helped and given much more consistent middle order guys, gives room in the outfield for younger guys to move up and into the lineup if need be (Bader,ONeill, AdGarcia, Azorarena, Mercado), defense is helped, Carp is moved to a super utility role which may not be a great use of him….

im babbling again… sorry

Participant

Free

Jager:

Interesting ideas but in what Universe would Junior add 45 million dollars to the payroll?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

this one… when the talent coming back would be as i outlined (or different)….he steps up and offers big money… whether we ended up second or not…when we have identified big time players we have offered up big time money… Price, Pujols, Stanton…

Junior was willing to add on 25million a year for one player up until last week…if they deem players whether for trade or FAs they will do so…if the players arent what they want…they tend to get conservative…

they loved Holiday after trading for him…and then went out and re-signed him to the biggest contract ever for the Cardinals…

adding 45million isnt the issue…but in this scenario if yo ucan add
    a Cy Young level SP, an MVP level hitter in Abreu, a GG defender and solid 25HRish guy at 3b…and a young shut down closer….all for them easily amount of 45million…how do you NOT see that as a good investment and good opportunity…barely over 11million per player

yes we lose prospects…and Reyes and Kelly could be REALLY special…but we’d be getting REALLY special players back who arent prospects but have already performed

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I can’t give up Reyes, Hudson and Alcantara in a deal for Archer and Colome. Way too much future potential ace material going the other way. Tell the Rays to pick one of the three, and we throw in a lesser prospect and lets talk.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For me, Reyes is not on the table. Besides that, I’m not sure his trade value is that high considering that he has not yet demonstrated that his TJ surgery was a success and that he is back to his original form.

Participant

Free

Sorry, Jager, can’t buy Junior adding any major amount to the payroll let alone parting with his precious prospects. I hope he proves me wrong.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold is “reading between the lines” on Twitter, suggesting that starter Chris Archer could be a target along with Colome from the Rays.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, I see what Goold was referring to, from Marc Topkin, Rays beat writer.

The Rays also are getting a predictable high volume of interest in starting RHP Chris Archer, who is under control for four years at a very reasonable $34 million, with the Braves, Brewers and Twins joining the Cards, Cubs and others. As one competing exec said when asked how many teams were in on Archer, “Who wouldn’t be.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/Winter-meetings-journal-Rays-closer-Alex-Colome-drawing-interest_163507904

Participant

So Colome is the “flavor of the week”. Some good comments and reasons for the Cards to jump but this team winds up taking a scoop out of another carton at the end of the case (Baskin-Robbins). Mozeliak marches to the cadence of another drum. (I use Moz here because I keep forgetting the other guy’s name). Mostly, the FO likes to surprise us.

Participant

Free
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should the Cardinals gamble that Longoria would be more productive than Gyorko with a change of scenery? He was once considered elite both offensively and defensively, and 32 years old might be a shade past prime for a baseball player, but he’s definitely not over the hill. Whichever team is willing to take on Longoria’s contract, might get Colome, and maybe more, for a relatively cheap cost in prospects.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rays beat writer talking about the viability of Colume and Longoria to the Cards.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/Market-starting-to-set-itself-as-Rays-trade-talks-intensify_163561757

Participant

Free

The way I look at it is that Longoria is very likely to produce at least as well as Gyorko did last year, while that is probably Gyorko’s peak.

Participant

Free

OK – but what about the next five years? Do you want Longoria taking up roster space for 5 years if he is already in decline?

Participant

Free

I don’t think he is in decline and I also think he will have a rather graceful fall as well.

Plus, we will likely move DeJong to 3B at some point. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be blocking anyone.

Participant

Free

We gave Wainwright that 5th year knowing that it would come when he is 36 years old and it hasn’t hampered us from making moves to better the team.

Participant

Free

If Longoria and Gyorko could be expected to provide more or less the same production, why not just forget Longoria and save five million or so and gain a few years in the age department?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years