Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Colome trade thread + Longoria + Archer?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jon Morosi says the Cards and Rays have been talking about the reliever.

“Sources: #STLCards and #Rays have discussed Alex Colome in trade talks.”

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/930869531316277259

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Update from Morosi:

Sources: Evan Longoria’s name not seriously involved — yet — in ongoing #STLCards/#Rays talks centered on Alex Colome. But Cardinals could look to add bat at 3B if they fail to land Giancarlo Stanton. Stay tuned.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/936621196308877312

Participant

Free

Yeah no thanks, a few years ago maybe but Longoria isn’t going to really help the Cards right now..

Participant

Free

Longoria hit 36 homeruns just last year (2016) and still plays above-average defense. He hit below-average last year though (as his BB% rate dropped over the last few years and his BABIP fell as well.

Here’s his contract info: 18:$13.5M, 19:$14.5M, 20:$15M, 21:$18.5M, 22:$19.5M, 23:$13M club option ($5M buyout)

So he’s actually not making a lot in 2018. It’s just $17.2M over 5 years, which is probably market value. So from Tampa’s POV, he probably won’t bring any prospect talent back. I could see us adding Diaz to a trade though.

Participant

Free

If they’re going low hanging fruit and second tier players then forget it.

Just chuck the season and play Carpenter at third and Martinez at first.

Participant

Free

He’s owed 86 million and is a declining oft injured 32 year old. No thank you as this would qualify as a bad contract they claim to want to avoid. This should upset everyone if this is what they do in place of Stanton. There would have to be another bat or two invloved in other deals to even consider it and even then I’m not sure the payroll can handle that. Again no thank you to EL.

Participant

Free

Longoria and Colome are not low-hanging fruit.

Participant

Free

Why does it have to be “instead” of Stanton?

Participant

Free

Longoria could be an excellent Troy Glaus / Scott Rolen to Stanton’s Pujols.

Participant

Free

If he is in addition to Stanton then it’s different or if he is part of a larger deal as salary relief and lesser prospects in return as part of an Archer deal then fine. But him by himself as a MOTOB is not good and I think most know it.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shoot for the moon and get Archer too…add Stanton separately and deal with the salary and prospect fallout as it comes…just be sure not to give up one of Weaver/Reyes/Flaherty as we will need at least one of those for the rotation next year

but you’d add:
    -a legit #1/2 SP
    -a legit shut down closer
    -a legit albeit a little older 3b who has a good glove and power in the bat enough to help protect anyone
    -an MVP level scary bat

that revamps the team and addresses all the issues we have. We may lose a huge chunk of our best young talent and probably some decent MLBers too, but we’d get back the type of players who don’t require us to NEED that level of prospect talent. It would be pushing a lot of chips in, but the talent you;;d get back would be worth it

250million + Flaherty + Gomber + Grichuk + Wong
    for
    Stanton + Gordon

Reyes + Kelly + Bader + Alcantara + Diaz + Gyorko + GGarcia + Seijas
    for
    Archer + Colome + Longoria

CMart,Archer,Weaver,Wacha,Waino/Hudson/Lyons/FA
    Gordon,Pham,Stanton,Longoria,Fowler,DeJong,Yadi,Carp
    FA catcher,Sierra,Meija,JMart,Piscotty
    Colome,Lyons,Brebbia,Cecil,Bowman,Tuivalala,Sherriff/AAA/FA

Colome + Longoria would be ok with me too…but i’d hope we’d find a way to get another bat like Abreu

Participant

Free

TexasCard

If he is in addition to Stanton then it’s different or if he is part of a larger deal as salary relief and lesser prospects in return as part of an Archer deal then fine. But him by himself as a MOTOB is not good and I think most know it.

I don’t think anyone has suggested otherwise. It reminds me of when we pursued Lance Berkman.

Acquiring Longoria would likely mean giving up Wong in return.

Participant

Free

Pads I’ve read other boards where some were speculating he was it. Not arguing anything you said before on this topic.

Participant

Free

Jager:

When have they ever shot for the moon?

Junior and his juniorettes do NOT shoot for the moon.

They’re low hanging fruit and slug kind of guys.

They’ll add players from the outside but don’t hold your breath for anyone who is actually good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, I love your enthusiasm but most of your trade proposals would lead to a $350M payroll.

Participant

The “horse” could fill an important spot in the BP. Colome is the “give me the ball” type and may make Matheny less jittery when calling in a reliever in a tight spot Or just assign him an inning, he’ll be ready.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of going after Colome and Archer, not sure about Longoria though. If so we would still need another big bat.

Participant

Free

We should only really go after Longoria if we get Stanton first, otherwise he’d cost to much for the number of years that he’d play and all of that…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, I’d like to see us get Colome and Archer then sign Cozart for SS and move DeJong to 3B.

Participant

Free

Our problem is that we don’t really have a 3B guy coming up through the system that just needs a year or two to be ready, or really many infield guys ready to lock down any of their positions of the infield…

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GscottAr

It doesn’t add up to 350million

Participant

Free

Ever since the Alex Colome rumors first started circulating, I have thought that TB was trying to package Longoria with Colome (and maybe Odorizzi or Archer) in a deal where they can dump all (or nearly all) of Longoria’s guaranteed salary.

I’m sure that TB and StL both know (or believe or suspect) that Longoria’s best days may be behind him (as most everyone here seems to think) , which makes him much less valuable than even 1 year ago.

I honestly think that TB will have to eat some of that contract in order to dump him, or sweeten the deal by adding something extra to the deal (Archer vs Odorizzi ??) or demanding less in return (Zac Gallen vs Alcantara ??).

I don’t think there is any doubt that the Cards have talent that TB would love to have, but it would be risky for the Cardinals to take on Longoria’s contract.

The question I have is: “Would StL take Longoria under any circumstances at this point? I personally don’t think he qualifies as the “big bat” we need, but if we could land Colome and Archer (or Odorizzi), I wouldn’t hate taking Longoria’s contract off their hands, if the prospects/players going to TB are reasonable.

I would like to reiterate that I don’t think he would satisfy the goal of adding a “big bat”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You are correct he is not the big bat but if we have to take him in order to get Archer and Colome then I would do it in a heartbeat. The other big bat could be Cozart for SS (move DeJong to 2B), Cargo for RF, or Hosmer for 1B.

Participant

Free

With the Stanton pursuit over, this Rays rumor could become the top story for the Cards during the Winter Meetings.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes (to me).

I have no idea how unreasonable the Rays demands are for Colome and/or Archer/Odorizzi, but I have a feeling that they are so motivated to dump Longoria’s contract that their demands will be more reasonable than ever. A deal between the Cardinals and Rays could come down to who blinks first.

I also like the idea of signing Cozart. I would make him the everyday SS and make DeJong a super-sub. Before anyone screams “DeJong is our SS”, consider that Albert Pujols started at several positions in his first 2 years. The Cards can still get DeJong 500+ AB’s.

An infield of:
    1B – Carp/Gyorko/Hosmer (1 of 3) If Hosmer can be signed, trade Carp (and maybe Gyorko too).
    2B – Kolten Wong (I would not trade him)
    SS – Zack Cozart
    3B – Evan Longoria

Backup 2B – DeJong
    Backup SS – DeJong
    Backup 3B – DeJong
    Bench INF – G Garcia (if not traded)
    Bench INF – Gyorko (if not traded)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tampa’s beat reporter explains the Rays trade motivation and ranks players most likely to be dealt away. Colome is #1, Longoria #3.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/Winter-Meetings-Preview-Ranking-the-Rays-most-likely-to-be-dealt_163416166

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years