Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

With Seager out for a few weeks and the D’Backs in town I am wondering if we might see Pujols at 1stbase for tonight’s game? With Taylor moving to shortstop and Muncy over to 2nd?

I will be tuning in……

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is just another reason to not like the Dodgers… I’ll be going for the D’Backs to take the next three. Pujols 1 for 4 and got his average UP to .200.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jay Jaffe, FanGraphs: “In the end, I don’t think the Dodgers-Pujols experiment will endure. Bellinger could go on a rehab assignment this week, and while first base isn’t his primary position anymore, he could still be in the mix. The injuries of Pollock and Seager, annoying as they are, aren’t season-enders, and unless Pujols is producing, at some point the roster reckoning will come. I still think he winds up taking his final cuts in September as a Cardinal, which will look a whole lot more familiar than what we’re about to witness.”

I doubt if Albert plays for the Cardinals this year although there is a remote chance they sign him to a one year deal in 2022 if the NL has the DH.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see it this year either. But next year carpenter will surely be gone so it opens the door. Especially if we have the dh.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Wow. Truely impressive body of work.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It sounds like the Dodgers are getting their money’s worth.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea I think it’s been a big win for the dodgers. Good for pujols

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pujols has had a wonderful career, but his LAD results are nothing to get excited about. His OPS is .748 – about the same as Harrison Bader for the Cardinals this season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Dodgers are getting more OPS bang for the buck with their min wage guy.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Although I would rather see someone other than the Dodgers win the NL pennant, it would be a nice ending to Albert’s career if they win, and he retires.

Not sure if that 10 year service agreement with the other LA club would kick in then, or if that changed when Albert was released.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well that 748 would put him third on our team based on stats I saw. So in comparison, not too bad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve been seeing two themes of discussion about 2022 that seem to be in conflict.

Assuming a DH next season, some are talking about Gorman and Yepez getting a better chance to play.

The nostalgia crowd wants the team to sign Albert Pujols to DH next season. Just the kind of lower-budget move that puts people in seats. Whether it would mean the best lineup is another question entirely.

What do you think?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d go with Gorman or “Pez”. But could you imagine Albert struggling offensively in a Cards uni….at any age. Could playing in St. Louis be Albert’s fountain of youth? If Albert could pull off one more big year and do it with the Cardinals……and then NOT attempt to come back for yet one more year in ’23, oh what an ending to a great career it would be.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What do you think?

I’d rather be covered with bees.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Pujols is a legitimate option for one season. His numbers since joining the Dodgers are .258/303/460/763. He has 15HR’s for the entire season. Would Gorman or Yepez put up better numbers at the big league level as a rookie? That is debatable. When you factor in the marketing aspect I would think, at a minimum, the Cardinal front office would consider it.

Of course there are other options. You could have Pujols, Gorman, and Yepez all on the same roster. Gorman at 2B and Yepez as 4th OF. If DeJong is traded Edman or Sosa would be the everyday SS probably. Another option would be do none of the above and go get someone like Schwarber to be DH or bring back Brad Miller as a cheaper alternative.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Pujols at what price?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I guess it would depend on what we want to do next year and how many of this year’s players are still around. If we want to win next season, I say go with the veteran if price is reasonable which is pujols. His numbers especially against lefties are pretty good. If we want to get the young guys some action and winning isn’t number one priority, then go young guys. If we lose carpenter, maybe we can do both.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dude still can hit lefties. And what is so bad about that as a bench piece? In a DH world especially?
    Him combined with Gorman make a pretty nice 1-2 left hand right punch from the bench.

And the value on his mentorship is not something that can be quantified but you’d better believe it would be huge.

He won’t be expensive he, seems to be fine with his role with the Dodgers so i can’t imagine he wouldnt’t do it for StL.

He has some big incentive to hit well chasing 700 and all. He will sell some more tickets.

I just don’t see why it’s kids OR Albert.

With a full time DH there is plenty of ABs to go around and platoon, even with a Seager or big SS addition. Probably means moving DeJong or Sosa but that’s ok. DeJong as a bench player might be a better role now and let him play around the field more. And with his and Edman’s versatility everything is covered for depth.

DH-Pujols/Gorman
    bench-Pujols/Gorman, Knizner, DeJong/Sosa, Nootbaar
    (or you could go with 8 relievers and have a 5 man bench)

I like loading up with swing starters going more innings putting less stress on 1 inning guys….LeBlanc, Ponce, Kim….with Hicks, Genesis, Gallegos, Garcia, Helsley/McFarland…not bad and gives us more punch for the bench

Pujols can still play the occasional day at 1b…and while he can’t run, so what, a hit against a big lefty or his prowess against lefties being able to get the other team to change pitchers is a fine weapon to have

Let’s also not forget that StL seems to bring out the best in Pujols…whether understandable and anecdotal or not…when he came for the first time after the trade he absolutely raked…despite not being very good on the season… he knows the park and the backdrop so well..

with him Waino and Yadi we’d get an upgrade to the coaching as well

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Albert is a Hall of Famer because of his skills hitting a baseball, but why would we assume he is and would be a good coach? They are very different.

On the either/or question, any time decisions have to be made for a finite sized roster, there are winners and losers.

P.S. I am not stating an opinion for or against Albert. I just don’t think I agree with all of the supporting points being offered.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’d stand a good chance of seeing a 9-3 ground out.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw a guy ground into an 8-6-3 DP in a minors game one time. Both runners had stumbled, but still, think Yadi on first, it could happen.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Being a coach is different than being a mentor. A mentor can provide a lot more inspiration than a coach. I wouldn’t think of Willie being a good coach but he has a lot of knowledge and can help younger players especially. So no reason Albert can’t step into that role and play part time as well.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

That 8-6-3 dp must have been a sight. I think sean casey went 7-3 once- in fact he def did. In fairness hesitated bc he wasnt sure if ss caught ball.

I think obviously pujols takes a minor league invite from the cards if given- i just dont think they will offer it to him. Sept seems more likely to me – although albert wants 700(doubt he gets there) and yes prob even to pass babe ruth im rbis.

Baker and walker need more season- maybe lukken baker mid year if he continues to hit for power

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pujols at what price?

I would say 1 year $5M.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 415 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years