Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like I said…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would not think a guy could be contractually held to a commitment on a particular cap insignia on his HOF plaque. I really have no idea on this, but doesn’t the Hall have some say on that?

I am sure organizations lobby guys for their team to be represented when either or two or three clubs are a possibility. But I doubt it can be contractually stipulated.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless the rules change again, the Hall makes the cap logo decision with input from the player. More and more Hall of Famers are going in with no logo at all. Perhaps that will be Albert’s preference. Who can predict?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Albert’s preference is to go into the Hall as an Angel, then he’s definitely getting slipped some major coin on the sly by the Angels organization. What Albert accomplished in California wouldn’t get him within a country mile of being inducted into the Angel HoF, let alone the one in Cooperstown. And what’s with inductees going in logo-less? EVERY one of these guys know where their hearts reside.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of “coin”, what will be telling is Albert’s decision when he retires as to whether or not he will accept the 10-year. $10 million personal services contract with the Angels. Has he made enough money already to leave that cash on the table? Would the Cardinals try to hire him instead? Would he prefer to just stay at home?

While his relationship with the Angels is not what it once was, we also don’t yet know how his Cardinals story will conclude, either.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BW, that’s a very good point. Doing promos, commercials, etc in the STL area, could he make $1M a year?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert will decline the one million per year opportunity with the Angels once he retires, unless his duties were to be so slight that it wouldn’t make sense to leave it on the table. One million per year is chicken feed to a guy in Albert’s financial situation. Now days, one million is the new $100,000…….and falling quickly, compliments of each and every governmental money printing session.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So I can raise the subscription price, then? Hasn’t changed since 2005. 😉

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Pujols, or anybody else for that matter, can selectively decide which parts of his contract he must honor and which parts he can ignore.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pujols will hit about .227 this year with 8 homeruns and 26 runs batted in. Then everyone will say because he has a fWIR of 2.8 and a BWIPT of 8.34 and a WRG+ of 4.87 that he was so good and so valuable.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree Rat, and the BS+ will be off the chart.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Regarding Pujols contract with the Angels, besides financial considerations there is the concept of honoring one’s word.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Só we signed Nelson Cruz (Platoon of Pujols and Dickerson) for $7.5 million?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

So is he really slimmer? Haven’t seen him in uniform yet. Did anyone catch audio of the game to give their impression of his at bats?

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I feel like he wouldn’t want to honor that 10-year commitment just because of the way he left. If Albert really was insulted by the contract he was offered from the Cardinals before leaving, I don’t see how he would want to commit to the Angels after how they parted ways.

I remember an interview Albert did a few years where he said he would go into the Hall of Fame like Larussa did with no cap, but this was before the Angels kicked him out the door. Albert seems to be a man of principle or at least that is how he is portrayed.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joe Maddon and the Angels did kick Albert out the door. There must be a reason for that, other than wanting to give somebody else a chance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Johan Quezada cleared waivers and remains in the organization.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty slick toss in of that subscription raise Brian.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

-1.9 rWAR over 2,138 PA’s the last five seasons is reason enough.
    Occam’s razor.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What does everyone think the odds are that at some point mid-way through the 2022 season the Cards are forced to release Pujols?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

N

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I haven’t figured out how to reply to individual posters, the reply button doesn’t seem to work:

‘What does everyone think the odds are that at some point mid-way through the 2022 season the Cards are forced to release Pujols?’

Since this is his final year and a good bye tour, I believe if he was really that bad they would just play him less. On the other hand, they played Matt Carpenter even when he was costing the Cardinals wins. Mo even put him in the 3 and 4 hole in which I was incredulous.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They aren’t going to release pujols. It’s possible at bats could diminish but that’s it. Personally I think pujols will be fine. My hope is he gets his 21 homers to make 700, stays healthy as can be all year, cards maybe even make the playoffs, him and molina and probably waino all wave their goodbyes, not a bad year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think if it came to that it would be done as a DL thing not a release.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.