AFL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Walker
    Winn
    Hence
    Thomas
    Pages
    Leahy
    Loutos

1982 willie
    Participant

Too bad ESPN doesn’t bother showing stuff like this. Too busy showing NBA d league games.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what priority statuses these players have, as that could get you more playing time. I think Hence, Winn, and a Walker should start most regularly. I think Graceffo might have been included, but he has reached his innings limit. Leahy is a surprise given his highERA, but seems to be a FO favorite.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Either the tv people don’t think AFL games would get enough eyeballs or MLB / MiLB won’t cut anybody a ‘reasonable’ deal for the broadcast rights vs. what advertisers will pay for spots.

‘Content’ is almost anything these days so it does make you wonder why it’s not shown…

bccran
    Participant

I was surprised by Leahy too. But then saw that he struck out 9 in 6 innings of work yesterday.

Another one that surprised me was Loutos over Pacheco. Or was Pacheco in the AFL last year?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

I wonder how Deluzio and Antico compare both offensively and defensively.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pretty sure ali the Cardinals that were in the AFL last year players in the majors in 2022. That is not the Norm.

bccran
    Participant

Pretty much so, CC. Last year it was –

Thompson
    Hicks
    Pallante
    Walsh
    Donovan
    Gorman
    Yepez
    Nootbaar

PadsFS
    Participant

Love they are giving Hence a spotlight.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I used to love the AFL as a kid!! Billy Cannon, Lenny Dawson, Clem Daniels – how about Wahoo McDaniel!!?

Oops, wrong AFL. Sorry guys. 🙂

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am a big Antico fan but would like tô see him removed from the AFL team. He already hás 560+ plate appearances this year which is a ton for a minorleaguer. He may be exausted as shown by his .505 OPS in September. I realize he will be the táxi squad guy but I think he needs a break tô recharge.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No Herrera?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As Antico is a taxi squad player, by rule he can appear in no more than two games per week. The experience, albeit limited, should be good for him. The Cardinals trainers and medical staff assess him and would object if he is not ok to continue.

I bet he wants to play and he should still have three months after the AFL to recharge.

Herrera was already in the AFL in 2019. He could end up playing winter ball. TBA.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

How much is the medical staff trained tô evaluate the psychological aspect? Even trained would rely much on the player admitting he is burnt out which a player who loves tô play might be reluctant tô do or mta bit himself realize. I dont Mena tô say he wouldnt be physically capable of playing and yes he can rest later but if exausted he may not get any positive groeth from the experience (and possibly could have negative consequences such as falling into nas habits)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The last time I made it out to Phoenix for AFL the Rafters were playing out of Surprise all the way across town. I guess they shift things around.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My AFL experience was 20+ years ago but there are 3 things I clearly remember. 1. Player access. Before nas after games was the easiest player access I ever encountered. Even easier than minor league games. 2. I was sitting 2 rows up from the GM (Jockety). If I had wanted tô I could have easily directo asked him a questiono. 3. Foul balls. I could have easily had 20 foul balls. There were probably less than 500 people at the games and few kids.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. CC. The only place better for foul balls is Palm Beach. I have found that over the years, AFL games have become better attended. One reason is that they have moved maybe a quarter or a third of the games to night, which opens it up for families. Before, all games were midday while school was in session. No Sunday games meant that Saturday was the only open day for most people. So you get the retiree crowd, which doesn’t run to get foul balls.

bccran
    Participant

Lots of foul ball opportunities on the back fields at Spring Training.
    Every time I get one, I look around for a young kid to give it to.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I just noticed Jacob Buchberger was listed as an infielder for Salt River Rafters! When did this happen? Glad he is on the team, but surprised he was added. Guess someone else couldn’t make it!

Brian, have you heard anything that would shed light on this subject?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I found out that Buchberger’s name on the roster was an error.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Subscriber article.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m kind of surprised Loutos is there. He rocketed thru the system. Wish him well.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

im also surprised by no Hererra

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.