Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

That’s true…. Sosa continues to disappoint. If he can’t turn it around soon, he has no business being on the 40-man. Actually the same goes for Voit.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not only has his production slipped, but the Springfield coaches have even said Sosa has fallen behind in most phases of the game, particularly defense. Perhaps a move to EST or Palm Beach to reboot is in his not too distant future because Andy Young is pushing on his heels.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Greene is already on the 40 man roster. So Helsley, Schrock, and possibly Fernandez and Williams would need added. Even with a few subtractions they will be at 39 or 40. Something would have to give for adding any free agents.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Springfield had won nine of eleven before the Sunday blowout. Previous reliever Santos will get his first start in ’18 and a good outing could get him a rotation spot. Only two (Woodford-Greene) of the season opening rotation remain intact with Tewes and Jones sidelined and Helsley going up to the Redbirds.
    Down below at Palm Beach there doesn’t seem to be a viable callup… none of their starters have been effective except Shew and he started on Saturday for PB.

Peoria has lost five of seven. Both Seijas and Nicasio are nursing the effects of recent shellings by Wisconsin… bottom dwellers in the division. The Chiefs offense has been surprisingly very good and the top six batters in yesterday’s lineup are all hitting over .300, thanks in part to the addition of Hurst (3-5 Sun.). C Julio Rodriguez is on an 8-14 tear, and getting more playing time than Ortega. Machado and Plummer have continued to lag behind.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wasn’t sure where to put this but quite an interesting article on how the Astros are now trying to push their analytics down into their minor league system. Article is focused on ex Cardinal front office guy Syd Mejdal and how he spent last year as a short season coach (hadn’t played since little league) and this year is a roving instructor.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/sports/baseball/houston-astros-analytics.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

May1
    Robert Calvano from EST to Palm Beach

C.J. Saylor from EST to Peoria
    Noel Gonzalez from EST to Peoria

Kevin Hamann from Peoria to EST
    Cory Malcolm from Peoria to EST

Both Hamann and Malcolm were given plenty of opportunities to right their performance… didn’t help.

14NyquisT
    Participant

A while ago there was a discussion about GS “GAME SCORE”

Glossary / Advanced Stats / Game Score
    Game Score
    Definition
    Game Score measures a pitcher’s performance in any given game started. Introduced by Bill James in the 1980s and updated by fellow sabermetrician Tom Tango in 2014, Game Score is presented as a figure between 0-100 — except for extreme outliers — and usually falls between 40-70.

A Game Score of 50 is considered “average,” while a Game Score of 40 is deemed to be “replacement level.” Game Scores in the 80s and 90s are widely regarded as impressive, and scores of at least 100 are exceptionally rare. Using Tango’s formula, which is the version displayed on MLB.com, only nine of the 4,858 games started in 2015 resulted in Game Scores of 100-plus.

A Game Score is derived by factoring the quality (based on runs, hits, HR, walks, strikeouts) and quantity (innings) of a starting pitcher’s performance

Although James’ and Tango’s Game Score formulas lie in great parallel, they also diverge in ways that cause Tango’s version to be slightly more linked to a pitcher’s talent level. In the updated version, the following changes were made:

• A baseline score was moved from 50 to 40. This change prevents very short outings from being calculated as near average. (Ex. With a 50-score baseline, a starting pitcher could strike out the first batter of the game and be removed to record a Game Score of 52 — above average. In reality, though, the starting pitcher being lifted after one out puts the team in a highly unfavorable position.

• A penalty for home runs allowed was implemented. Home runs allowed was not part of the initial formula — created using the official line score in a box score — despite their significant impact on a team’s chances of victory.

• The penalty for a walk allowed was doubled from -1 to -2, to be in line with the penalty for a non-homer hit (single, double, triple). Although a non-homer hit is more impactful than a walk, both events are viewed equally when determining a player’s talent level.
    The formula
    Game Score formula (created by Bill James)

Start with 50 points
    Add 1 point for each out recorded (or 3 points per inning)
    Add 2 points for each inning completed after the fourth
    Add 1 additional point for every strikeout
    Remove 2 points for each hit allowed
    Remove 4 points for each earned run allowed
    Remove 2 points for each unearned run allowed
    Remove 1 point for each walk allowed
    Game Score formula (updated by Tom Tango)

Start with 40 points
    Add 2 points for each out recorded (or 6 points per inning)
    Add 1 additional point for every strikeout
    Remove 2 points for every walk allowed
    Remove 2 points for every hit allowed
    Remove 3 points for every run allowed (earned or unearned)
    Remove 6 additional points for every home run allowed.

14NyquisT
    Participant

My selections for PITCHER – PLAYER – SURPRISE PLAYER for April ’18

MEMPHIS—– pitcher – GOMBER…….player – O’NEILL……surprise – SCHROCK

SPRINGFIELD– pitcher – GREENE…….player – KNIZNER……surprise – NOGOWSKI

PALM BEACH— pitcher – KRUCZYNSKI…player – MENDOZA……surprise – GODOY

PEORIA——- pitcher – **WALSH……player – **YEPEZ……surprise – I LOPEZ

**pitcher/player of the month

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone know what happened to Walsh last night? Short outing?

And it appears to appears Wiliams season is over. Damn his luck, as he was pitching his best in 2018.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll make another stab at player of the day. O’Reilly, maybe? I wonder how his stuff will play at higher levels? I’m guessing he has great control and tops out at 90? A la PJ Walters? Maybe he might gain a little pop as a reliever?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would not have thought O’Reilly would have done this well in his first start at AA. They always say it is the toughest jump.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Like your list for the most part Nyquist but the surprise of Memohis is Tovar and his .874 OPS.

14NyquisT
    Participant

cc… that’s a great catch and I was going to include Tovar. I just thought that we didn’t know what we were getting with Schrock. (Munoz seemed to be the key player in that trade). I’ve got to say that Tovar is going to be a candidate for May as he continues to add to his AVR. So far, he has passed Mejia on the depth chart IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As some players were off in April to having great starts to the season, some others are stuck in neutral and some in reverse. Here are some prospects that are having a surprisingly slow go in ’18.

Memphis: DGonzalez- he’ll pick up. Card’s are pushing him for his BP talent, And what’s with ArReyes? Usually a steady BP arm. has his slow start have anything to do with his 2-month lay-off in mid-season ’17?

Springfield: Goetzman- a late pick up with a so-so resume. Only added for OF depth. Seferina- is a streaky hitter, he needs to start a streak in the other direction. Tewes’ starts were terrible, something seemed wrong. Yep, he wound up on the DL. And then there is Woodford… having trouble moving up to AA. Hopefully he’ll figure it out. His last start was decent.

Palm Beach: the club has been steady as only Pinder has some scratching their heads. Its a tough jump from Johnson City to Palm Beach. Maybe he prefers the mountain air because he attacked the Appalachian League, hence the jump to adv-A.

Peoria: Our other young CF prospect, Machado is in his third pro season going from DSL to GCL to full season Peoria. Still only 19, so low-A is a challenge. The trio of starters Nicasio-Oviedo-Seijas are not off to the start we had expected from them. All three are young for the Chiefs level also. They might be having to pitch there because of the lack of starters at that level.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am also not surprised by Schrock. After all, he has never not hit .300. We initially placed him in our Cards top 15.

But that is not my point. I just saw this and it reminded me that Mateo and Franklin Barreto (.909 OPS) are the two top 100 prospect infielders Oakland decided to keep, letting Munoz and Schrock go.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As a follow up to my last comment:

Both DGonzalez and Pinder were placed on the DL yesterday.

12 members from EST have already been sent up to full-season teams.

Springfield.. Drake
    Palm Beach….Balestrieri-McKinney-Meisner-Sexton-Thomson-Fiedler-Calvano
    Peoria……..Figuera-Hurst-NGonzalez-Saylor

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A couple of observations and questions:

Is it reasonable to think Schrock could be our everyday 2B in the near future or does he project to be a utility guy? If it is everyday I would think Wong would become trade bait.

Has Carson Kelly’s stock dropped much? Just based on performance it appears Knizer is rapidly becoming the heir apparent to Yadi. Could Kelly become trade bait?

I know we have many many bullpen options at Memphis but how about the start by Mujica? Could we see him back in St. Louis soon?

14NyquisT
    Participant

It was a little surprising to see Arozarena sent back to SPFD, but a shock to hear that the player he would replace would be Seferina who was released. Is Roache the one to go up to the MEM outfield? I don’t know what has been going on in the clubhouses, but with Roache batting .308 in his last 10 games and 5 HRs in his last 6, that might be what’s going here.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you ask me Schrock could be an MLBer. He has always hit well for average (presently 10th in the PCL) but of his 39 hits this season only 9 have been for extra base hits and his walk rate is a little below average. From what I’ve heard his glove is good enough to step up.

It seems as Knizner’s stock is trending up, Kelly’s is on its way down. His .234 average isn’t helping. Of course his decline is tied into the Molina contract where he has no where to go up and still get playing time. If he reaches his potential it will likely be with another team. The FO screwed up big time in handling his situation.

I don’t think that Mujica’s minor league contract was made with the idea of him staying in MEM. Relivers have good years and bad years… this may be one of Mujica’s good years. With the Card’s bullpen having its fill of injuries, I wouldn’t be one bit surprised to see him in Busch this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It seems a very odd time to resurrect your oft-stated obituary of Kelly’s Cardinals career – since it appears he will be St. Louis’ starting catcher for the next month.

The way I look at it, the Cards were wise to keep Kelly and wise to send him to Memphis to play every day. It took barely a month before Molina went down and now, he is needed. This is his big test. He cannot be any more prepared. If he succeeds, his value will only go up. And if he fails, the Cardinals will have learned what they needed to know. No guessing will be needed.

Personally, I believe determining his ability to contribute at the MLB level is far more important than trying to maximize his trade value. If Kelly helps St. Louis win games in 2018, his value will be established.

14NyquisT
    Participant

MEM has lost 3 in a row scoring just 3 runs total. The losers in order Hudson, (although he was given a GS of 77 in the 1-0 loss on Thursday), Flaherty and Gomber. That won’t ever happen again.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Springfield’s Ramon Urias arrive just in time from Memphis to help out the top of the S-Card lineup. Urias was demoted recently but has gone 11 for 24 (4 extra base hits) at AA after going 1 for 14 at U.S. AAA. It seems now that placing him at AA originally would have given him more time to get ready for U.S. AAA.

Urias has added some firepower while Lane Thomas has been chewing on crushed ice (6 for 43 .140 in his last 10 games). That’s down in Fowler territory.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Peoria’s Nicasio was to start today’s game in the finale of the South Bend (CHC) series, but he was called in last night for 4 inn. to relieve Prendergast. Nicasio gave up 4ER and Ked 0 over the four and was totally ineffective in his last start on April 29th (2.1 IP 7ER 2HR and only one K. He had relied on strike outs in the past. This season he has had two good starts sandwiched between two disasters.

YGonzalez was back in the lineup for last night after being pinch ran in Friday’s game after a collision at first base. It seems the move was precautionary.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its good to know that some can predict injuries. All along it has been “when” not “if” Molina gets hurt. Now the “when” is here…. who knew? What if Molina didn’t get DLed all season? What then? Another wasted season at Memphis for Kelly… and like I mentioned his .234 BA is not impressing anyone and thus the loss of stock in the trade market. The point being, Kelly has two more years of waiting for “when” Yadi gets hurt. That’s not a good thing to look forward to. It sure won’t look good on his resume. Sabe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fortunately, this was not another head injury, but I suggest you do some reading on recurrence of concussions in catchers. Scary stuff. It does not take a Kreskin to anticipate there could be future problems in that area. The two blows that ended Molina’s 2017 season were considered fairly serious.

And that does not even take into account the record number of innings caught over his career and his advancing age.

It seems inconsistent to criticize predicting the future (in the context of Molina’s health) while at the same time predicting Kelly’s next three years will be wasted.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.