Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Although very small sample size, I like Brandon Purcell. Drove in 21 runs in 24 games. But with the catching glut I assume he might play at State Colege? And he is 24 already.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can now start to project the Memphis roster.

Of their top 12 hitters last season (50+ABs) 6 are out of the organization, 2 have graduated to STL (Munoz-O’Neill) and the other 4 will be back at MEM (Edman-Knizner-Ravelo-Thomas) all of whom would be able to fill in for the Cards if necessary.

C- Knizner + Pena
    1B-Ravelo
    2B-Schrock + Urias
    SS-Edman + Sosa
    3B-Mendoza
    LF-Thomas
    CF-Arozarena
    RF-AGarcia + Robinson

I’ll take a shot at the rotation:
    Hudson (assuming he will remain stretched out here)
    Gomber
    Poncedeleon
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    + Kruczynski-Herget-AuWarner as possibilities. (injuries here or at STL.)
    Note: AReyes could show up anywhere here anytime.

Some might have other ideas.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Pena has a small chance of opening in St. Louis.

I think Hudson has a huge chance of opening in St. Louis.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont see Mendoza at AAA to start the season. Too crowded and he needs to show some power. And that opens up

I think Hudson is in STL and that leaves a spot in the Memphis rotatiin for Woodford whom you left off the list.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I mentioned a few days ago that the team needed to add a FA bat on a minor league deal to supplement the Memphis roster and was widely shut down. Now we have Arozarena out injured for a month along with Williams. With the Gyrko injury and possibly opening with just 12 pitchers It looks likely that O’Neill, Robinson, and Munoz may all start the season in StL. OF’s left for Memphis include Thomas (hurting earlier not sure now) and Garcia. Nogowski might have been an option but it looks like he may have to replace Ravelo who is also hurting. They obviously like Hurst and Carson but would they jump one to AAA? Anyone still think we couldnt use a FA outfielder in Memphis? We may even need two!! Too bad Cargo just signed a minors deal with the Indians.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ravelo could play left field. He has in the past. That would open up first base for Nogpwski. Also Robinspn could play outfield as well, unless he is replacing Gyrko in St Louis.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Robinson has been unimpressive this spring, and unimpressive throughout his time in the minors. I think, if he makes the opening day roster, he will be an automatic out coming off the bench. Edman has had an impressive spring and he could be a dark horse to make the roster. If he had another month or two at AAA, he would be a lock to make it, IMO.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If you send Robinson to AAA you might as well remove him from the 40 man roster and risk passing him through waivers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No need to remove anyone from the 40-man until someone needs to be added and there is no one to put on the 60-day IL.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

While that is true Brian that is not the only consideration. You also have to look at the timing of when the player is most likely to pass through waivers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Frankly, I don’t understand the initial assertion that if Robinson does not have a roster spot in the majors on Opening Day, that he should be gotten rid of. Robinson has a minors option year remaining and outfield depth at Memphis is being stretched due to injuries to others. He can help.

Granted, more teams are shuffling rosters at the end of camp, but all it takes is one of the other 29 teams to have one 40-man spot available to snap Robinson up. The fact he has the minor league option remaining makes him even more appealing. I doubt he would clear waivers, but then, I doubt the Cardinals would expose him to waivers in the first place.

My guess is that if they feel the 60-day IL relief is not enough that they try to do what they did last spring as camp ended, which was to trade the back-end 40-man guys – Lucas and Valera – for younger prospects who do not require 40-man spots. I am questioning whether Robinson is at the end of that line, however…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t even consider the Robinson/Wisdom transaction a trade. Each team was just moving one player out of the way so they could get a fresh look at another player. If Robinson makes the team, then I’ll be happy for him. But I don’t see any reason to think that he’ll be much help at the major league level.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that Montero is still on Memphis roster. It seems possible that Montero starts at Springfield, and Gorman at Palm Beach. with perhaps Nunez at Peoria. If I was reading the tea leaves, this appears possible. I think there is no need to rush these kids yet, as they are too young, and don’t need to be pushed.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, putting Gorman at PB to open the season would be rushing. Let him have success at Peoria first and promote him at some point during the season.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I see Montero at Springfield, Espinal at PB (jumping Peoria), and Gorman at Peoria to start the season.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep. No way Gorman starts at Palm B. after hitting so lightly at Peoria in his cup of coffee there last year. It would be akin to me taking on Carioca or BicycleMike in a Cardinals Trivia contest…… I’m simply not ready to tackle those two yet….but give me time….. or give me Rat or Nate.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure hope Gorman, and Nunez later, plays at Peoria because I’d love to be able to see them play. Peoria has a good chance to win a championship this year with all the talent that should be on display there. Much like when Helsley, Fernandez, Woodford, and Derian Gonzales led a very good starting staff there a few years ago. I think there might be some pitchers from the GCL that surprise us, and make the jump to Peoria too.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve written about hometown bias when rating our Cardinal prospects. Just looking at our top 20 guys we are full of optimism for all of them. But where will they be five years from now? A good reference to look at this story from Redbird Rants that is 6 months old will put things into perspective. There’s a lot to ponder and learn from history. The top 20 minor league players from 2014 will perhaps stun some, but it should point out to us some reality of the trials and tribulations of young ballplayers.

See how the 2014 top prospects have gone in many directions, some by choice, some by trades, some just didn’t pan out. Who of our best prospects will follow whom?

https://redbirdrants.com/2018/09/22/st-louis-cardinals-prospects-2014/

A super read for those that follow our prospects closely, and even for those that don’t.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Now looking like Royals could (for now) keep Chris Ellis to open the season. Looks like they will have Drew Storen open in the minors and option McCarthy to the minors. Ellis has also pitched better lately but still has a Spring ERA of 9.00 and aa WHIP of 1.90.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With his progress during this ST, Edman could make Sosa or Urias expendable. With the duplicity (Shrock-Sosa-Urias and Edman) we’ll have at MEM, a change of scenery for either Sosa or Urias to a club looking for mid-INF depth might be a win-win situation. However their value is questionable, and having very little behind them at AA and A might just make them more valuable in this organization.

Last year’s opening day INF:
    Mejia- age 27 at that time.
    Ravelo- 26
    Schrock- 23
    Tovar- 26
    Voit- 27
    Wisdom- 26

This year’s projected INF:
    Ravelo- turns 27 4/24
    Schrock- 24
    Sosa- 23
    Urias- 24
    Edman- 23
    Munoz?- 24

The younger and improved Redbird INF.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock has less upside in my book. The other 3 can play short. Sosa and Urias have some pop and Edman looks ready.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman looks very good. Maybe the front office should entertain trade offers for Sosa, perhaps for an outfielder who can play in Memphis since they have a lot of injuries. Could wait on Gyorkos injury status, and/or who might become available after sping cuts.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They have outfielders backed up like Carlson, Pinder, Hurst, Capel. Then Williams and Arozarena will be back. We need Sosa more than another outfielder. Then don’t forget Robinson could end up there when Gyorko is ready. Ravelo can also play corner outfield.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero broke camp with Memphis per excellent source (a players mom).

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years