Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Uncle Denny. I agree with you about the outfield.

As I wrote yesterday on the front page, a number of extra players are being brought along to Memphis who will end up at Springfield by the end of next week. Still, that would be good for Montero, and is something I have been saying could happen based on news from camp.

St. Louis-Memphis Exhibition Roster Ramifications

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Montero stays with Memphis until Gyorko gets healthy. Ravelo is also hurt I believe. When they return, MOntero goes to Springfield. Amazing that he jumps from GCL to Peoria last year, and to Springfield/ Memphis this year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Milb.com is slowly building the Memphis roster on their web site as player get returned from camp.(They have not done this in previous years.) Along with Montero they also listed Mieses, Hurst and Drake in the OF. As of this morning there were 23 players but they did not have Edman or Chris Beck who are still with the major league club. I dont know if someone is telling them things or if they are just guessing.

There is nothing near up to date still for tbe other affiliates.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget Knizner and Layne among the others also yet to be added to Memphis. Oddly, Joe Hudson is shown with Memphis, but has not been cut from big-league camp. Still, it is a reasonable core of players. We will know the interim Memphis roster by tonight, but it will change. It should be more than 25.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reader tipped me off about this Twitter-only announcement that I had missed in real time on Saturday.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

While the major league club lacks lefties they could be overflowing in Memphis. In the pen they could have Cervenka, Shreve, Webb, and Lane. Probable starting lefties include Gomber and Cabrera. Warner finished last year in the Memphis rotation but most likely will start at AA.

bccran
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing how Cabrera progresses. High ceiling.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ivan Herrera said he will be at Peoria and so did Zack Jackson so there you go. Julio Rodriguez said he and Ortega will pair up again this year at PB.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Herrera jumping JC and SC to open at Peoria while still 18 until June is interesting.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Is O’Keefe going to be a coach soon. It seems like they value him despite his non-prospect status.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

vegas, Herrera has been a guy they’ve been watching for a long time. His promotion at the end of last season was all the way up to Springfield. That said a lot.

Here is what I concluded about him in early December.

“Making the jump straight to Class-A Peoria may be too aggressive out of the gates for Herrera, though if he does get the shot at the Midwest League, it would be a very significant statement.”

TCN 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #23 – Ivan Herrera

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I recognize and recall you mentioning the possibility Brian. The list of high schoolers or international prospects that began their first fill season in Peoria is very small. I can recall:

Carlson
    Montero
    Flaherty
    Woodford

Also thinking Kelly and Sierra as 2 that started there and then had to take a demotion to return later.

Gorman making it is his debut season. Assume is on the list this season.

All names that have went on to make it to the majors or appear on the road to the bigs.

I am sure there are others and some that fell off the prospect map. But in general a good sign of the future prospect status of the individual to be someone moving up the ranks.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar vegasjim.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar vegasjim.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting decisions coming before minor league season starts. AA/AAA rosters has too many pitchers. Something has to give there. The catching situation could be resolved by releasing 2 of these , Hudson, Godoy, O’Keefe, and/or Martinez. To me these are non prospects any way, just career back ups.

Also, something not mentioned when factoring in Goldschmidt’s extension is the eventual position of Gorman and Montero, and possibly Nunez. Granted, they are both a couple years away at best, (although if Montero tears up Springfield his ETA could be sooner) but both of them were assumed to be a corner infield prospects. Now any position change would seemingly involve moving to the outfield. Of course, there may be a DH in the National league soon, so a position may not be necessary.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is it automatically assumed that Montero, or any other 3B for that matter, will become a 1B if their original position doesn’t hold? Elehuris supposedly has a solid arm and some stats from last year indicated that he wasn’t *that* slow…couldn’t he play LF or RF? Those positions appear to be quite a bit less crowded if Fowler can’t pan out and Ozuna is let go. You’ve really only got O’Neill and Carlson as legit prospects for those corner spots (Arozarena could get there but probably is more a 4th OF long term). If Montero is the “Jose Martinez but capable in the field” that he appears he could be, the Cards will find a spot for him somewhere, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By Mike Rosenbaum and Jonathan Mayo @JonathanMayo and @GoldenSombrero
    March 28, 2019

30 impact callups for 2019

Tommy Edman, INF, Cardinals’ No. 13
    The 2016 sixth-rounder hit .301 with 30 steals between Double- and Triple-A last year and tied a bow on his season with a strong turn in the Arizona Fall League. He improved his stock even more this spring as he hit .333 and tied for the team lead with 15 hits, all while bouncing between shortstop, second and third base. He has all the ingredients needed to become a productive utility player, or perhaps more, for the Cardinals in 2019.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An Edman addition to the 40-man and promotion would be damning for Ramon Urias and especially Edmundo Sosa, not to mention Max Schrock, who like Edman is not on the roster. The infield competition at Memphis should be fierce and may the best prosper.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

An Edman addition unlikely affects Strock. Edman will be added at the end of the year no matter what and Strock wont be added before then.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I respectfully disagree. During the upcoming season, Edman and Schrock will both be non-roster infielders competing for a roster spot. If Schrock returns to his past, hitting over .300, and Wong goes down, for example, he could definitely be considered ahead of Edman, especially if the latter does not get out of the gates well or is injured.

What may happen next fall may happen next fall. A lot can and will occur before then, which none of us can accurately predict.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems as though Schrock would really have to do what he does very well to put himself above Edman, unless Tommie really falls flat this year. It’s a manager’s dream to have a guy who can passably play SS and is solid at 2B and 3B and is a switch hitter. From their last couple of years, it seems like Edman does everything (except maybe hit for average, and that is a maybe) Schrock does, only a little bit better.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock’s apparent inability to play short puts him behind the other 3 and he has less power than Sosa and Urias imo.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe yes and maybe no. We will have to see how they play this season.

Here are some facts to consider. Sosa was sent out first this spring and Urias was also sent down before Schrock was. Schrock got more StL at-bats than Sosa and Urias combined. In fact, he got five more ABs than Edman.

No doubt that Edman remained the longest and made the best impression, but that won’t matter as much as who is playing well at the time and who is the best fit for the need that presents itself during the season.

Remember how surprised we all were when Adolis Garcia was added to the 40-man and called up last August, ahead of Williams, who was already on the roster? Garcia had been red-hot for the entire month of July and that apparently swayed them, even though he had been terrible in April and May.

“What have you done for me lately?”

P.S. Having said all this, my main point in the first place was about the potential for Edman to pass both Sosa and Urias, who are already on the roster. I am not pushing hard for Schrock. I am simply explaining why he should not be counted out. A good month or two and he could be back in the middle of the picture. Also, folks should be aware that Schrock has picked up third base, though if the need turns out to be for a shortstop, he would not be a fit.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The premise was “that if there is an Edman promotion”. In that case you are only considering what happens to the other parties after that promotion.

That Garcia promotion turned out well didn’t it? Just kidding. From a performance stand point it made sense. From a roster management angle it was a bonehead move. One of Mo’s worst in my opinion.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not ready to assume Edman is close to promotion. Let’s not forget that one of Munoz and Robinson will soon be at Memphis to join the other four we have been discussing.

But if it happens that Edman is promoted, the other move may not be “after,” it also may be “as a result”. If Edman (or Schrock) are added, Sosa or Urias could lose their spot at the same time.

Though it took me a while to come around, I agree with you on the Adolis move having been unnecessary. On the other hand, if all it cost them was Chris Ellis, which is my conclusion, I am not going to harbor bad feelings about it. (As you know, Ellis could still be returned to the Cardinals.)

But the broader point one might make from Garcia is “Don’t add a guy to the 40-man just because he is hot, when there are other alternatives available.” That is precisely why I cited the Garcia example. Right now, Edman is hot, but he has just 17 career regular season games at Triple-A, and there are others on the roster who are available to call up when need be. His time will come, but maybe not as fast as some may want.

The Memphis infield will be very interesting to watch. Will Edman carry his momentum through the season? Will Sosa pick it up in his final option year, etc?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Garcia move possibly cost a waiver claim over the Winter or a rule 5 selection but we will never know. Probably hurt his trade value (if there was interest). The big reason that it was a bad move was that it was only for 6 games.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I know we have probably beaten this topic into the ground, but I still wonder if Garcia had not gone 1-for-11 with five strikeouts and no walks in those six games if they might have tried to keep him around longer. A Bo Hart intro, it was not.

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years