2023 StL Game #61: Monday, June 5 at Rangers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #61: Monday, June 5 at Rangers

Viewing 24 posts - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully, players won’t be wearing clown suits for the promo game coming up at Busch.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I hate to say it, but clown suits would be appropriate for this season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I will not be watching the Cardinal broadcast for that Pride Night game.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“I read something a little while back where a scout said Oakland is the worst team he has ever seen by far. They might end up with a worse percentage than their 1916 counterparts in Philadelphia, as well as the infamous 1962 Mets.”

The A’s are doing something pretty darn rare: they possess baseball’s worst record by far, and yet their record in 1-run games isn’t terrible. Not nearly as terrible as the Birds, for example.

With tonight’s loss by Oakland, they are now 8-11 in their 1-run decisions.
    This means that in games decided by 2 or more runs, they are 4-38. I’m not joking.

—————————————

Meanwhile, about the Cards. I didn’t see all of the game. Any explanation why Gensis Cabrera pitched the deciding frame instead of Gio Gallegos? I mean, three days ago Marmol wouldn’t trust anyone other than Gallegos in the 7th inning with a 4-run lead…and now he refuses to bring him into a tied game in the 9th? Is Gallegos injured, or was this just another example of Marmol force-feeding an extra-high leverage situation to an undeserving reliever?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t like to see anyone lose their means of a living and I felt bad for the guy while watching the post-game presser. The Cardinal manager looked and sounded as though he’s entirely aware that he’s in a world of it. Sad situation when someone’s charged with a task that’s not within their ability to accomplish and that’s not at all his fault. At any rate, his countenance and tone looked and sounded like he knows he’s in trouble. I wonder if he knows something?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

.410 win pct comes to 67-95. Ouch.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That 8-11 record in 1 run games for a team that bad is highly unusual, Bob Reed, but so is 12 and 50…Haha!

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Another painful loss. 11 games underwater. Plenty of blame to go around and very little hope for this season.

Can they even fix the pitching by next year? I mean they need 3 starters and a couple of bull pen guys and maybe a closer? It’s a lot.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Every move he makes is the wrong one, Bob Reed. On the winning RBI base hit that bled through the 6 hole, the IF shift was so pronounced that it looked as though both Musial and Williams were standing in.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Let’s see……..How old is Herzog?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

He’ll be 100 in less than 9 years, Rats.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

During the presser Nado said, “I blew it on the pop-up.” He deserves a lot of credit for entirely owning it.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Which of the dropped pop-ups? The one in foul territory or the fair one?

This team is deflated, defeated, discombobulated. And you know that last one is bad because it has “disco” and my name in it.

1982 willie
    Participant

The pop up in foul territory was dejongs fault not arenados in my opinion but I’m pretty sure he meant the last one since the one in foul territory didn’t cost a run.

CardsFan552
    Participant

Free

I sure hope Gio is injured, because if he is not ollie boy should be canned! Gio had 3 days rest coming into the game last night. and just because he got hit his last outing does not mean you abandon him.
    very bad managing. unless Gio is hurt, Marmol must go.!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was very relieved when Ollie told us that his guys took better at bats than the Rangers. We hit line drives right at people and they had bloops fall in. That explains it then. I was thinking we stunk.

Has anyone else noticed that Baker and Walker look almost like the same guy at the plate? I think maybe both have an approach optimized to blast minor league pitching pitching mistakes into outer space. Very poor pitch recognition. No swing discipline. No bat control. Poor plate coverage. They mostly look pretty horrible up there. Walker’s trade value has to be going off a cliff.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

J Mack the Padres have used that uniform many times before. As ridiculous as it is it has nothing to do with pride day.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we don’t have a 9th inning reliever. We have a bunch of middle relievers masquerading as late inning relievers so arguing over which one was used seems pointless to me. Pick your poison.

14NyquisT
    Participant

1toughdominican:

Don’t feel all alone, TexasCard. The only game I attended last season was the Friday night opener for the Cardinals/Yankees series and I haven’t been downtown for a game since. My son bought a couple of nice tickets a couple of months prior to that series, did the driving and pretty much paid for everything. I enjoyed it and the Cardinals won, but even though it was a night game, it was Congo jungle hot and humid and the games just aren’t the same at the new Busch Stadium. Maybe I’m getting old and grouchy, but they constantly blare excruciatingly loud and excessively silly and annoying music over the PA system between and sometimes even during innings. The beer, peanut, popcorn and soda hawkers whose loud and boisterous voices once added more flavor to the ballpark experience seem to have been replaced by folks who are dressed like waiters and selling stuff that looks like it should be served up at an Applebees, only the prices are triple. It just wasn’t the game experience I’m accustomed to. At any rate, like I mentioned, I’m getting long in the tooth, so I’d rather pay a little for a silly TV bill, turn the thermostat down to about 60, eat an affordable hot dog with an ice cold Coca Cola and lay on the comfortable couch like a bum and watch the action with you guys…Haha!

Best comment I’ve read this season…. and I’ve read a lot of them!

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Best comment I’ve read this season…. and I’ve read a lot of them!”

I’ll second that, Nyquist. I suspect Andujar speaks for many of us geriatrics and near-gerrys.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My oldest turned 21 about 20 years ago, and they they are all adults now and all live in town. It may sound odd, but one of my greatest joys in recent years has been when the phone rings and one of them asks me to go to a game with them. Just last week I politely declined, for essentially the reasons 1TD listed above. I will add that, as an older person, I am not comfortable going downtown anymore, especially at night. Its too bad, but I second the notion that the game experience is just not comparable to what I have enjoyed my whole life. The game on the field isn’t either.

And, by the way, speaking of loud annoying music, try attending a Blues game. Good grief, I couldn’t take it, but I stuffed wadded up napkins in my ears and soldiered on. I was there with my grandson.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I didn’t mention any safety issues to take into consideration, and although I rarely if ever experience any sensations that could be termed fearful, as I’ve aged I’ve many times thought to myself, “If a situation required me to take off in a sprint, I’d be in serious trouble”…Haha! I’ll also add that not too long ago I almost always attended at least 10 to 20 games a year and had always parked about six blocks from the ballpark in a free space provided on the street after the parking meters had been placed out of effect after about 5pm and walked to the ballpark. I always felt safe and never once had a problem with any damage to my vehicle or theft of any property. However, I’d be way more than reluctant to do that now. I simply would no longer chance leaving a ballgame and returning to my vehicle only to happen up on a busted window or missing truck or car, which is a common occurence in the downtown StL. area at any time of day or night. That’s too bad.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

On a sad note, the Rangers did have some bad news today with the announcement DeGrom will have TJ surgery. That’s basically two years lost on a huge deal. But they are still rolling along and have plenty of dry powder to use next month.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

And yeah, Bling, I’m with you on the phone calls. My son’s just about a week shy of 40 and lives less than 2 miles from our house. He’s married and has a brand new daughter, so he’s busy and we only go over to visit about once a week or so, but I talk with him on the phone practically every day. Usually the reason for the call is for something relatively unimportant that should take about a minute or two to discuss, but I often find that the conversation will eventually channel to baseball. Pretty soon we’re both clicked on to BR and debating for a half an hour who’s the greatest at this, that or the other while citing the numbers and W/L records of various players and teams to support our case…Haha! At any rate, those light-hearted conversations seem to take us both back in time to the same sorts that we once had when he was about 10 years old and I could still outrun him in a foot race…Ain’t baseball great?

Viewing 24 posts - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.