2022 Wild Card Series Game 2 thread – Saturday, October 8 vs. Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Wild Card Series Game 2 thread – Saturday, October 8 vs. Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 285 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Free

Agreed Wheeler and Nola were better than anything we had.

1982 willie
    Participant

Personally I don’t see where pitching was our problem here. Sure helsley was bad in the 9th yesterday but the manager knew he was coming off a injury whether it was still bothering him or not, so why put him in a position to extend him by making questionable moves. Pitching sure wasn’t an issue tonight. Bottom line is we only scored two runs over two games against good but not really great pitching. And arenado and goldy as two of your biggest stars have to come through.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt willie. We were sunk by our bats but I still think we need an ace if we ever want to get back to the world series.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Two lingering questions need to be asked?

Will Flaherty become the ace we’ve been hoping for the last 2-3 years?

And will Arenado opt out?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say no and no.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nobody knows da kinda troubles I seened…Well finished our season with another and last zipWHOPer I believe it’s 15. Disappointing being we had home field advantage. Gonna need hitting catcher, consistent bat and starting pitcher next year. Glad we won the Central Championship this year but not as good as the big teams. Phillies really turned it around this year and pretty much out played us. I agree our team really. didn’t play well after clinching the title. May have been better to forget the rest program.Seemed to make things worse. Goldy really changed gears after the all star break. What was that all about. Glad to see the “into the sunset 3 horsemen thing over” but also glad they both got a good finish. New challenges next year. Never forget the joy of just playing the game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Waino come back?

I lean towards yes he will but his finish to the season was pretty bad.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disappointing end to a season that showed promised during the second half. I now feel that this finish confirms the Cardinals had the best team in a very weak division. This team Ned’s a lot of attention if they are to compete next year … a lot of holes to fill this off-season.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Arenado will opt out! No doubt!

1982 willie
    Participant

Flaherty did pitch better but will he ever be the same guy as before, I don’t think so but would like to be wrong. I don’t think arenado will opt out either. If he was on fire these two games and we still lost them maybe. But the fact is he didn’t do much so he’s just as much to blame as anyone.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I like having Goldy and Arenado on the team, but they have no one else to blame but themselves for our short lived post season. I hope they think long and hard about that in the off season. The best defense is a good offense, and we just didn’t have one. Our pitching was actually pretty good, save one inning yesterday.

bccran
    Participant

You can analyze this game ten different ways, but the bottom line is we scored 2 runs in 18 regulation innings. And that was by a rookie pinch hitter. That’s simply disgraceful.

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

Two games, anything can happen in baseball.

I have a problem with there being so many teams in the playoffs and the Cardinals having to play in this round even after winning their division. Six games better than the Phillies too.

At least Molina and Pujols went out with hits.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

If you are six games better than the Phillies then go out and beat them.

bccran
    Participant

The Cards played in a much easier division than the Phils, so I don’t compare their season records. But you can’t have your 2 best hitters going 1-15 in a short series –
    no matter who the starters and relievers are for the other team. Sorry.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The guys with the $20 million and $30 million contracts are they guys you need to deliver the most. Or why are you paying them? Maybe they’ll make up for it in a future season.

The Cards looked good statistically from a team standpoint on OPS, runs scored and other metrics, but they never had enough depth in those numbers up and down the lineup. Too many holes — at least that is the case if you want to compete with the best. The outfield needs some new punch. Tinkering with the same guys or just adding another Dickerson type might be good enough to sneak by Milwaukee again. Maybe. Of course, add catcher to that conversation too. It’d be nice to be a serious contender again.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Ah, another sad Sunday morning read. And this one the last for 2022.

Thankfully the Cardinals imploded early and spared us the agony of false hope.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed ED, you can’t expect the min wage guys to do the heavy lifting while the money guys are sunning themselves.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a thud to end the season. I read elsewhere that the Cards are 5-17 in their last 22 postseason games. That’s simply unacceptable, and I hope that the front office realizes it and adjusts course. But with 3.32M streaming through the gates, I doubt that’ll happen.

Realistically, my assessment in July that the team was going nowhere was accurate. We are relying on old stars and a very inexperienced surrounding cast. That’s a recipe for going cold at the wrong time and it’s happened about 5 times in a row now. For the second year in a row, we were fooled into believing based on a few hot weeks. For the second year in a row, it was a mirage and the real Cardinals showed up when it mattered most.

There’s a lot of work to be done to make this team a contender for anything but the B division crown. The turnstiles and TVs are impeding that work, ironically. It’s just a shame that such a goodwill season feels like it was all a waste.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

– The Cubbies certainly have to be licking their chops at the possibility of Arenado opting out.

– Did RatsBuddy truly experience an epiphany in foreseeing our post season meltdown!

– Agree with JJ and Euro Dandy with how enjoyable these Game Threads have become. It’s a place where one can become enriched in baseball knowledge, baseball trivia, ML baseball game updates, Jasper, Indiana Wildcat football updates and of course succulent ideas on what to have for your next din-din. Thank you for the great fun fellow game threaders and we’ll get right back to it opening day 2023.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rob Raines summed it up: ” When their best players had a chance to deliver a game, or series, changing hit, they didn’t come through.”

bccran
    Participant

Maybe the shock and disappointment of how Friday night’s game ended affected last night’s game. Put too much pressure on, and guys were pressing against good pitching.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Come on…. ’22 was an exciting season for us. The Cards overtook MIL after the AS game, Goldschmidt looked like a shoo-in for MVP, Pujols rallied the troops when we needed it, Wainwright was pitching like an ace for a good part of the season, Quintana and Montgomery added a lot of consistency to the rotation, we got some excitement from rookies (Nootbaar-Donovan-Yepes) who seemed to instill an upbeat atmosphere. So when we look back at this season when spring training rolls around it should be with a positive feeling.

It is so obvious that a premier catcher is at the top of the “needs” list. Get Arenado, Quitana and Wainwright back, see what Flaherty Carlson and O’Neill look like. Then there’s the young guys to reevaluate. Sort out the rotation to see if we really need to add a #1 because he might already be within the organization. Just have the FO he get us a catcher and we’re ready to go.

So we had one bad inning and the middle of the lineup let us down plus we were soundly out-managed which is also something the FO will need to deal with. IMO Marmol doesn’t have what it takes to be a good skipper. He was crazy bad the last two days.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t expect a rookie manager to be a world beater his first year, and yeah, they did what it took to keep the turnstiles spinning all year.

PadsFS
    Participant

Agreed Nyquist. Get that catcher and I think we are set up well with all the young talent we have right now.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 285 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.