2022 Wild Card Series Game 1 thread – Friday, October 7 vs. Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Wild Card Series Game 1 thread – Friday, October 7 vs. Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Nice list!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sometimes I wonder if the Cardinals trading for a lot of left handed pitching is them hoping they can stumble on someone that will exorcize the ghost of the Carlton-Wise trade.

The Liberatore trade seemed that way. It was almost like “Let’s try to get a young left hander who has a chance to be the next Steve Carlton.”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Good point. I can still recall in my teens when I was sucked in by the Cardinal hyperbole when they traded Ken Reitz to SF for Pete Falcone and promoted him as the next Koufax. They were smart enough not to mention Carlton…Haha!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bike mike, I assume Rolen is an oversight?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…He probably took into consideration who got booed worse in Philly and decided it was Allen over Scotty…Haha!

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

1-T-D – for my Mickey Hatcher guy, gotta go with the player least expected to do anything. For me, that’s DeLuzio. And no better reason than “why not?” Ha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Now that would be a true Mickey Hatcher Factor choice! If DeLuzio saves the day, you’ll receive honors as the all-time greatest Mickey Hatcher guy pick…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats asked who was going to bring the Rally Squirrel to Busch Stadium this weekend. I’m not sure about the squirrel…I want to know who’s going to bring Chris Carpenter.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Money like started yesterday -145 STL and now is even. Likely due to the announcement of starters and a little to do with Helsley. They might be trying to pull both sides in but I think it could be a sign.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Also they may be putting into consideration how the team plays in opening up series. No numbers in front of me but have come out a little flat in series openers as I recall this season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck today, I hope to get home from work in time to witness our glorious victory. I will check this and the roster prediction thread as I can for news of the roster and then for game insights from all the worthy commenters.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, today’s the big day. Hopefully the Cards will be locked and loaded for October. With the veteran leadership on this team, you would hope they would have themselves ready to go. I like the Cards to win a tight one over the Phils today as Wheeler blinks in the first inning of his first playoff start. Call it 4-2, with three Cardinal runs in that opening frame.

CardsFan552
    Participant

Free

Rats buddy, you are probably right.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good call on Scott Rolen. I was just thinking of guys from memory, but Rolen could easily be there. And Placido Polanco, who went the other way, was a good player as well.

I am sure there are others that could be added as well.

1TD brought up Pete Falcone. He definitely was a lefty the Cards were hoping would fill the void of losing Carlton. In fact, the Cardinals could have had two of the best lefthanders in the game, and three top notch starters had they also kept Jerry Reuss and Mike Torrez.

I mentioned before, today reminds me of the ‘70s as there are real good players on other teams that we had at one time. The difference is we are still good despite trading those guys, whereas in the ‘70s we did not have the remaining talent to overcome bad deals.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Nolan Gorman will be on the 26 man in place of Burleson and the Redbirds will carry an extra LHP’er in the BP which will be Naughton. I like Gorman’s presence and I don’t really know why, but my choice for another lefty would have been Cabrera. Maybe I just don’t like the name, “Packy”…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The thing that concerns me with this club compared to some past Cardinal teams that went far in the post season, is this team does not have that starter that can give you a dominant performance. The Chris Carpenter – Bob Gibson type.

The Mets have Scherzer, the Dodgers have Kershaw. That type of guy. Mikolas might be able to do that. Wainwright was that guy, but has really struggled of late.

We will see how this goes. We were the better team during the year, so should be able to get past the Phillies. But you just don’t know in any given short series.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…I owe Pete Falcone in the sense that his stint as a Redbird taught me an important lesson in my youth. That lesson was to not always believe the hype that the under assistant promo men put out on the airwaves…Heck, by the time I reached my mid 40’s, it took me almost 3 years of watching before I was thoroughly convinced Pujols was the genuine article…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…I agree. There’s no stopper on this team. All you can do is hope that someone duplicates the type of performance that Suppan displayed in the 2006 NLCS. I will say that if the bats are ready to go, this Redbiird team can outslug anyone in the Big Leagues. Obviously the Cardinals are going to have to hit.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals have been consistently inconsistent all season and it seems everyone has taken their turn.

Feels like the pitching has been better than the hitting due to there always being 3 guys in any given lineup that can’t hit their own weight – but that could just be my perception.

Good luck to the Cardinals. The tournament had begun and the ‘best’ team from the season rarely wins so….

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’ve noticed some consternation on the part of Rebird fans concerning the Cardinals facing both Wheeler and Nola in the first two games of this series and I certainly share some of that anxiety. Here’s a little tid-bit that may quell some of that angst…In the 2011 NLDS vs. the Phillies, the 3 losing pitchers of decision for Philadelphia were named, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt and Roy Halladay…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading Steve Carlton to the Phillies for Rick Wise was the worst trade the Cardinals ever made.

Yes it was. Another bad one was Keith Hernandez for Neil Allen. I understand that Keith had some problems at the time but as far as on the field talent that was a steal for the Mets.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the 2011 NLDS vs. the Phillies, the 3 losing pitchers of decision for Philadelphia were named, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt and Roy Halladay…

Those Phillies had one of the best rotations of all time. Hamels was in there too. Their #5 guy went 11-3 with a 3.01 ERA. Yikes…sometimes the hot streak just happens at the right time.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…I think it’s also worth mentioning that 2 of the 3 Redbird winning pitchers of decision in that ’11 NLDS were named Edwin Jackson and Octavio Dotel. I don’t need to name the other guy. What I’m driving at can be summed up in one word…”youneverknow”

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep. The Cards have had three 100 win teams and three others with 95+ wins since 2000. None of them won the Series. The two World Series champs won 83 and 90 games. It really is a funny game.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.