2022 Wild Card Series Game 1 thread – Friday, October 7 vs. Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Wild Card Series Game 1 thread – Friday, October 7 vs. Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Season stats don’t reflect how a team is playing now. September stats would be more meaningful.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Well, they’re not playing today, so there’s nothing to go by. The meaningful “stats” won’t present themselves ’til tomorrow…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I guess everyone has seen that Marmol also named Mikolas to get the baseball on Saturday. No word on who gets the start if need be on Sunday yet. Probably be Adam Wainwright…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I think most people call it “The X-Factor” but I prefer the term “The Mickey Hatcher Factor.” Anyone have any hunches or picks to be the Redbird player that you wouldn’t really expect to have a huge impact on the outcome of the upcoming Cardinal post-season series and either get really hot with the bat or have that one big base hit or HR to decide who advances? I’m going with Nootz.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I have no idea who the right choice is for the Cardinal SP’er for tomorrow’s series opener, but one thing’s certain. If Quintana features a really nice post-season turn, he should be able to cash in on it during this off season and set himself up for a nice payday. He’s being paid $2M for ’22 and it never hurts to have a lot of money as an incentive to perform. I’m hoping he grabs the big money.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Quintana is a good choice. Was going to be him or Montgomery with Phillies heavy left side lineup, but Q has looked better last few outings. It’s show time for Albert, Yadi, Goldy and Arenado. Hope they’re up to it. My sense is yes!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

CardsRedSox4Ev…Those guys are all up to it, but who’s your “Mickey Hatcher Factor” guy…Haha!

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about this series. But I think the home field advantage will till it the Cards way. They have two very good pitchers that’s a concern.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

My Mickey Hatcher guy? I am going with Dylan Carlson.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats…He was going to be my second choice, but I didn’t want to choose two guys and cherry pick…Haha! Good choice, Rats!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oliver…I never have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any Redbird postseason series until they’ve won it…Haha! And if I ever have that feeling before a series begins, I’ll know something’s seriously wrong with me…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is a game 3, Oli will have the benefit of seeing our lefty and righty starters vs Philly in games 1 and 2.

I like that he hasn’t committed on a game 3 starter yet.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the FO is considering bringing Q back next season, game 1 is a fine sales pitch.

It’s the postseason, here’s the ball, convince us we’re making the right call.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

My gut tells me this series depends more on how badly the Phillies play than how well the Cardinals do. The offense has been largely absent in recent weeks with little indication that is about to change any time soon. Please, oh please let me be wrong!
    Rah Cardinals!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I know it’s a best of 3, but tomorrow’s opener almost gives me the feeling of one of those 1 game WC play-offs. I hope Marmol treats it as such and doesn’t hesitate to make any early pitching changes in the event of any looming catastrophe.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t pick Noot as the Mickey Hatcher since every right thinking person knows that legendary exploits are likely.

I think I will pick Dickerson since a few months ago we were discussing when, not if, he would be DFA and he has been pretty much DOA lately.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My Mickey Hatcher guy is Brendan Donovan. Good things seem to happen when he is on the field.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…I’m picking him to be a headache for the opposition for as long as the Redbirds are still playing in the post-season. I could very well see him having 10 or 11 base hits in a full 7 game series. A Bobby Richardson like performance. Donnie’s no joke.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…I’d say Dickerson’s a good choice. We all saw what he did a few weeks ago when he got 9 or 10 consecutive base hits. It wouldn’t bother me one bit if he duplicated something like that. Sometimes pitchers relax a bit after getting past the teeth of the order facing guys like Goldy, Nado and Albert and then, BOOM…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m pretty sure everyone agrees that Edman and Donovan have to be the spark plugs that get things going and set up the table for the big kids. Little Eddie’s a lot of trouble when he reaches base and Donnie doesn’t seem to do anything but reach base. Let’s all hope those two guys are a pain in the backside for Wheeler and Nola.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I guess you can call it an intangible, but I think it’s based on something substantial. Neither of Philadelphia’s SP’ers have ever made a single appearance in a post-season game and will be working in hostile surroundings. On the flip side, we got guys named Albert Pujols, Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright who’ve stormed the beaches at a total of nine World Series appearances between them.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Rotation IMO should be:
    Game 1-Quintana
    Game 2-Mikolas
    Game 3-Monty

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This is a good time to unveil an all-time Cardinals-Phillies team. This is not a team made up of the best from each franchise, but rather guys that spent time in each dugout somewhere in their career. This is a good team – shows how much these two organizations have worked together.

C-Tim McCarver
    1b-Bill White
    2b-Ted Sizemore
    SS-Dick Groat
    3b-Richie “Dick” Allen
    Lf-Lonnie Smith
    Cf-Bake McBride
    Rf-Del Ennis
    P-Pete Alexander
    P-Steve Carlton
    P-John Denney
    P-Curt Simmons
    P-Larry Jackson
    P-Rick Wise
    Rp-Joe Hoerner

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’ve asked this before and got no response. Who is going to bring the Rally Squirrel to Busch? Perhaps Schumaker since he’s about the only one left besides those other three geriatrics.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Trading Steve Carlton to the Phillies for Rick Wise was the worst trade the Cardinals ever made.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.