2022 MLB draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 MLB draft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless the new CBA changes the rules, the Cardinals will draft 22nd next July. The Orioles edged the D-backs for the first pick.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-order-tiebreaker-likely-gives-orioles-the-no-1-pick/

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

When can we expect to see players (minor league/DSL) get dropped to make room for the new players coming in January? I assume there will be a correlation with who gets dropped from the major league team and the bumping up from the various levels in the organization. Just didn’t know the timeline for that.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

22 is around the place the Cards always pick

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

It seems like they always pick at 19……

Any of you ladies or gents have any good or bad thoughts on Baez? Numbers don’t look great……

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like Baez’s confidence. Like any player entering his first full season, likely at Palm Beach, I am hopeful he shows the late season progress that Romeri did. He has the potential to move into our top 5 prospects. I have him at 9th now.

14NyquisT
    Participant

One problem is these recent draftees were shell-shocked playing on a horrible Palm Beach team all season. Not a plus for confidence geiger counter. STL will need to go for the best players still available throughout the draft…. there are so many holes to fill. Too many PB prospects had to be moved up because of shortages above. It seems like it will take at least a few years to get our system to the competitive range again.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are there any extra draft picks awarded as in the past? I believe there is no compensation for signing free agents, but are competitive balance still in play? Or other extra picks?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are competitive balance picks, but the Cards do not get one this year. I haven’t read how the formula changed and if it means they will no longer receive one any year or not.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I have not heard of changes to the formula, but allegedly, it looks at market size, record and revenue.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have not heard of changes to the formula, but allegedly, it looks at market size, record and revenue.

It used to be the 10 smallest payrolls, 10 smallest markets and then was doled out by best to worst record. I am guessing they probably changed the number of teams based on market size. But it’s weird because San Diego gets a pick and is bigger than St Louis. So I dunno, maybe they included spending as a part of it. Seems a little unfair to punish St Louis just because they outspend their market. Cleveland is a similar market size and gets rewarded for being cheapskates.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Yes, that is my issue with MLB, they reward teams that act to the detriment of the league and cry poverty to line their pockets rather than reward teams who punch above their weight.

St. Louis’ market size did not grow, they are still around 20th out of 30 teams. What changed is their revenue from their local TV deal.

Oakland is in the fifth largest market, and they restored revenue sharing for them after finally phasing it out a couple of years ago. It’s disgusting.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his first mock, Keith Law has this player to the Cardinals. His description was not very exciting, IMO.

22. St. Louis Cardinals: Cooper Hjerpe, LHP, Oregon State

https://theathletic.com/3317893/2022/05/19/mlb-mock-draft-jacob-berry/

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally I think that the first picks 1 through 30 or however many teams there are should be by lottery. A pull your number out of the hat equal type lottery. After that you can go by record, market size, whatever. Make the draft more entertaining and interesting. That way teams that try to win have a chance to get a really good pick. I would also make that spot untradeable.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea that cooper guy seems to be a question mark. Doesn’t project to be a starter. You can get good relievers later on. Go with someone else.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mlb has the Cardinals drafting Rocker. Huge upside and risk on that one. Not sure I see the Cards taking that chance.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

With their success drafting college arms, it’s hard, as a fan, to not hope that’s the route they go.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally I think that the first picks 1 through 30 or however many teams there are should be by lottery. A pull your number out of the hat equal type lottery. After that you can go by record, market size, whatever. Make the draft more entertaining and interesting. That way teams that try to win have a chance to get a really good pick. I would also make that spot untradeable.

I’m not totally on board with this but I do think the lotto should be at least the first half of the draft, with a couple slots reserved for playoff teams to be in the lotto for. Something like #1-17 is lottery, weighted based on record, with #5 and #10 being slots that teams in the playoffs get a shot at. After the first round it goes by order of record.

I wonder how the international draft will be set up once they get it figured out.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Any chance we can draft the Hispanic Titanic in the 3rd or 4th round?

We need to get this guy!!!

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Don’t think he is a first round pick but would like to see Cardinals pick up the Oklahoma Univ. Shortstop Peyton Graham in 2nd round….really been impressed by his play could play multiple positions…think he is 6-4 and can run and hit

GameCard
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the Cards might take Sims or Rocker, if available. Both riskier than average picks with higher upside. You might sign them for a little under slot on them too.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Graham has played his way up to 23 in the Athletic’s mock the last few weeks of the NCAA tourney, so him falling to the Cards in the 2nd round is remote….would take him at 22 w/o any hesitation

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’ve looked at a few mock drafts and Connor Prielipp, a LHP from Alabama has made it to them in a few drafts. I don’t think he makes it to them, but if he does, he seems like a perfect high upside arm that the Cards would go for. Fingers crossed, but probably a long shot.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

C27, regarding Rocker, I assume they would and could ask for his MRI’s, etc before drafting him right? If they don’t find anything wrong, that would be a great pick. Robbie Snelling would be as well.
    LHPers with good to great sliders can almost always end up being solid BP guys if all else fails.

1) Rocker if healthy
    2) Prielipp
    3) Snelling

DangerZone
    Participant

Free

ESPN Mock 2 0 has the Selection being

Jett Williams, SS, Rockwall Heath HS (Texas), Mississippi State commit

Though it does note that the Cardinals don’t have a preferred type, so it’s one of the harder picks to project this far out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years