2022 MLB draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 MLB draft

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I’d love to see the Cardinals draft Kumar Rocker in the first round. He’s one of the few college pitchers this year who has ace potential. He fits the Cardinals democraphic of Top 10 consensus candidates (admittedly from last year) that fall out of the Top 10 and the Cardinals pounce. His bonus demands won’t be anywhere near what they were last year, either. One team is reportedly considering drafting him and using him as a reliever this year.

I’m not sure he’ll be on the board when the Cardinals choose, however.

Regarding his medicals:
    – He’s had a year to rest/rehab
    – If his medicals are clean, it’s in his interest to share them with teams to maximize his bonus

The other pitchers I like in the first round are Gabriel Hughes out of Gonzaga, Blade Tidwell out of Tennessee and Snelling.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

LACard, I agree on Rocker, BUT it will all come down to the medical information they can obtain. Snelling or Prellip (probably not spelled right) would be my backup options. Taking a chance on a potential ace is something I support, considering they never get a top 15 pick.

bccran
    Participant

I’m all in on Hughes. Smart, big and durable, and supposed to be a great kid. Electric stuff.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

This article does say Rocker had a minor scoping procedure on his shoulder last fall.

Rocker

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/06/11/mlb-draft-profile-connor-prielipp/amp/

Decent article on Prielipp, I’d put him right behind Rocker and Snelling as of today. The medical info will determine where these guys go.

For later in the draft, Ivan Melendez, likely a DH/1B that hit 32 Hr would be great in the 3rd. Sort of a Brett Wallace type, that could at least be used in a trade.
    https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/ivan-melendez-699471

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thomas Harrington, RHP Campbell

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CBS’ mock has this man as the Cards’ pick: OF Chase DeLauter, James Madison.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m a sucker for looking at the mock drafts, but after the first 3-5 picks, no one has a clue. I still love reading them and getting a few guys to hope for. I just saw the CBS one, and DeLauter wouldn’t be a bad pick at all.

DeLauter’s three year college line: 62BB/45K’s, .520 OBP, .715 SLG and it seems that his extra base hits are going over the wall more each year.

Based on other mocks and rankings, I’m doubtful he falls to the Cardinals.

Rocker or Prielipp would still be my hope, Rocker probably won’t be, but Prielipp might actually be available.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ESPN mock: Gabriel Hughes, RHP, Gonzaga

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect that the Cards will go heavy on players with limited NIL opportunity remaining.

Maybe we will get a chance to look at Ben Joyce at some point.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m kind of a noob at the draft since unlike the NFL or NBA, the MLB draft really isn’t covered. Is there a website that I can go to for coverage of the draft and maybe some insight

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

willie, anything worthwhile is behind pay walls.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m kind of a noob at the draft since unlike the NFL or NBA, the MLB draft really isn’t covered. Is there a website that I can go to for coverage of the draft and maybe some insight

MLB Pipeline, BleacherReport, Fangraphs, CBS SPorts, etc. all currently have draft coverage right now, including mock drafts with scouting reports. The draft will also be on MLB.com with Jonathan Mayo and Jim Cllis providing coverage of the guys in the draft.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks blackhillscard

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a couple of the mock drafts differed though I’m sure they all do especially the further you go down. A pitcher Hughes was one and another had them going outfield which I think going outfield would be a mistake. They are set at the big league level for a while and nobody available seems can’t miss. I would go for a pitcher where they are at, pitching is their weakest area in my opinion. Rocker might be available but he has questions and injuries. To me their biggest need is a quality catcher. It’s too bad they couldn’t get Daniel susac out of Arizona I believe I spelled that right. Great arm, capable offense but he’s projected to be picked a few picks earlier.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Cade Horton seems to be rising among the pitchers, he reminds me a lot of Helsley and he already has had Tommy John and came back like gang busters in the NCAA tourney

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jackson Holliday went number one to orioles. Pretty cool

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

2 Druw Jones to D-backs
    3 RHP Kumar Rocker to Rangers (MLB talking heads are shocked)
    4 SS Termarr Johnson to Pirates

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea lot of mocks had Kumar falling way down I guess cause of injuries but you can’t argue kumars potential.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Rangers are not a well run club

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

5 OF Elijah Green to Nationals
    6 3B Jacob Berry to Marlins

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Oh those bloodlines. 4 out of first 5 taken?

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Yep, ks.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

7 RHP Cade Horton to Flubs
    8 SS Brooks Lee to Twins
    9 OF Gavin Cross to Royals
    10 RHP Gabriel Hughes to Rockies
    11 C Kevin Parada to Metropolitans

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I hate that the Pond Scum got a really good catcher

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 241 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years