2022 Lineup

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well someone will have to go and usually the one that they are paying the most will get the time unless they are trying to work a trade. I don’t always trust those numbers when guys go back down but you have to find out. So I expect the young guys to go back down like they have in the past.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is possible, but seems like a remote chance, they will go to 12 pitchers. Its hard to come up with 3 position players to go out. It gets even harder if we accept that Mo is not going to flush Dickerson’s contract yet. So three position players not including Dickerson would have to go.

I think it comes to 1. Nootbaar, 2. Donovan or Sosa, 3. Yepez or Gorman.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Sosa has no options remaining. He’s on the active roster or DFA’d, well, the fantom injury is a possibility I guess.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is obvious the org is looking for an alternative to Sosa, and I can’t think what else Donovan could do to earn it, other than having more track record. But it might be time to pull the plug on Sosa.

Yepez and Gorman is a hard one. Sending Gorman would leave only 3 middle infielders (DeJong, Donovan, Edman) and I can’t imagine Mo would do that, but it should not be entirely dismissed since all three are shortstop capable. The argument against sending Yepez is that he does not have the history of ineptitude vs LHP that Gorman has. Obviously offing Dickerson and what’s left of his $5 Million would allow both Yepez and Gorman to remain. But, we know how that will go.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mo will use his magic 8-ball.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Last 14 days ops+:
    (14 PA minimum)

Ops+
    160 O’Neill 21 PA
    127 Arenado 52
    122 Goldy 61
    101 Edman 61
    096 Donovan 54
    092 Bader 49
    080 Yepez 38
    079 Gorman 38

58 Pujols 26
    52 Nootbaar 31

09 Molina 30
    -27 Sosa 26
    -62 Knizner 23

Arenado and then Goldy have carried the lineup, as usual.

O’Neill has helped in a limited PA’s since his return, but is exactly what we hoped for.

Edman through Gorman gives us 8 lineup spots total that are competitive.

Those bottom 5 players…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Corey in 2022 –

.194/.245/.286/.531

He needs to pick it up a bit.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If he does pick it up, he will be back in StL. What will be interesting is if he doesn’t hit with Memphis.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Yadi to go on the IL per Katie Woo of the Athletic. Sorry, I can’t seem to get the link to work.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

These injuries just seem odd to me. O’Neil, Dickerson, now yadi. It almost seems like they are making stuff up or at the minimum somewhat exaggerating.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is what I want to see:

Edman
    Donovan
    Goldy
    NA
    Yepez vs RHP, Carlson vs LHP
    Carlson vs RHP, Yepez vs LHP
    O’Neill (or Burly at some point sooner rather than later)
    catcher
    Bader

Albert could fill in around the edges, PH etc. Dickerson needs to be offloaded somehow.
    PDJ’s batting line for June in AAA is .246/.290/.639/.929. Its seems pretty much like the homer a week and nothing much in between that we’ve seen before. He’d probably get carved up in MLB, but maybe not a downgrade from Sosa. Except he wouldn’t sit on the bench as much, taking more reps from somebody better.
    I know the thinking is Herrera is up until Yadi comes back, but if he proves to be defensively comparable to Knizner, what do we have to lose? With the backup catcher probably playing a lot from here on, we need more that an automatic out offensively.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Here is what I want to see:

Vs RHP
    1. Edman SS (S)
    2. Donovan 2B (L)
    3. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    4. Arenado 3B (R)
    5. Gorman DH (L)
    6. O’Neill LF (R)
    7. Carlson RF (S)
    8. Knizner C (R)
    9. Bader CF (R)
    Gorman at 2B and Donovan wherever you need him to let someone else DH.

Vs LHP
    1. Edman SS (S) quit moving him to 2B
    2. Bader CF (R)
    3. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    4. Arenado 3B (R)
    5. Pujols DH (R)
    6. O’Neill LF (R)
    7. Carlson RF (R)
    8. Knizner C (R)
    9. Sosa 2B (R)
    Yepez in both line ups can spell O’Neill and Carlson when needed, to me he’d be splitting time about 50/50 with O’Neill. He could play LF or RF or he could DH, Gorman to 2B, Donovan to LF/RF.
    Nootbaar included in a trade for pitching help. Burleson becomes the immediate depth in AAA. I don’t see them giving Burleson a shot at starting until next year and it’s probably at a platoon with Yepez at DH, maybe LF if Mo gets off his crush for O’Neill and gets rid of him, but a Yepez/Burleson LF could be pretty poor defensively.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

The lineups are fine with me as is. I like Marmols lineups better than Schildts, but with Yepez, Gorman and Donovan debuting, Marmol has more to work with.
    There is the little thing of Bader behind Yadi that annoys me but Yadi gets on so very little it rarely comes into play.
    ——
    Since May 1st the lineup is averaging 5.21 RS/G.

14NyquisT
    Participant

667…. I think that the organization will hold on to any outfielders with a pulse. After MEM not much to write home about. Outside of Gomez there’s no other OF having a very good season. The FO must be betting on the current Cardinal OFers being around for a while.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I mentioned in today’s game thread having Edman and Donovan hitting first and second in front of the big boys is classic baseball that Whitey would be proud of. The table setters are very important and are doing a great job. When you can follow them with Goldy, Arenado, Gorman, O’Neill, Carlson, and Bader with the occasional Yepez that is a much deeper lineup than we had last year. Catcher is the only weak link we have.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny said:

I think that the organization will hold on to any outfielders with a pulse. After MEM not much to write home about. Outside of Gomez there’s no other OF having a very good season. The FO must be betting on the current Cardinal OFers being around for a while.

Don’t forget about Mr. Walker…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dickerson played on the 16th and not since. What’s up with that?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Last 14 days update by OPS+:

OPS+
    251 Goldschmidt, 53 PA’s
    158 Donovan, 62
    157 Arenado, 55
    144 O’Neill, 31
    141 Carlson, 48
    133 Yepez, 36
    123 Nootbaar, 11

99 Gorman, 54 PA’s
    97 Bader, 50
    88 Edman, 62

17 Knizner, 33
    -15 Pujols 21
    -29 Molina, 8
    -100 Sosa, 5
    -100 Herrera, 7

Goldy’s gone off again with Donovan and Arenado as his support group.

Carlson with a nice two weeks and regardless of Yepez D, he still hits, classic DH.

Gorman, Bader and Edman holding par and being competitive. Shame to lose O’Neill’s June of 150 ops+, but Nootbaar is filling in nicely in a sss.

Same bottom five, I’ll leave it at that.
    —–
    Team rank by position, for 2022, by BrWAR:

C 26th
    1B 1st
    2B 1st
    3B 3rd
    SS 8th
    LF 25th
    CF 10th
    RF 20th

OF 20th
    DH 10th

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This lineup could be super if they could get production from right field and catcher. I don’t believe Romine is the answer, and Herrera doesn’t seem ready. Is there another catcher that we could deal for? It surely wouldn’t cost much.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Look at the teams that are likely sellers. BAL, DET, KC, OAK, WASH, PIT, CHC, CIN, COL.
    Then there are the borderline teams that could sell, but they are still relatively in the hunt, expected to compete with the current roster, or multiple big contracts, and probably just retool a bit and try again next year but not necessarily going to sell. LAA, AZ, CHWS, TEX. I would say LAA should sell, but I don’t see their ownership doing it and still trying to compete with Trout and Ohtani, but pending FA could possibly be sold, but they are going to want major league ready returns I’m sure. The only reason I included CHWS here and not buyers is they have a good starting staff that is controlled and Cueto is a pending FA and selling him, but buying elsewhere could be an option because they aren’t out of it yet.
    9 sellers
    3-4 stuck in the middle
    17-18 buyers (depending on where CHWS fall)

The price for anyone is going to be high. The demand is much higher than the supply, especially when you factor those 9 teams are selling for a reason…they aren’t good.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Last 14 days update:

Once again, Goldy (198 ops+) and Arenado (195) are raking, both with 56 PA’s. Paul with 30 total bases and Nolan 33.

Carlson (141 ops+), with 51 PA’s logged 24 total bases, but managed just a 3/16 BB/K.

Yepez (127 ops+), with 52 PA’s accumulated 30 total bases with 5 home runs. His bugaboo is the 1 BB and 14 K.

Gorman (111 ops+) in 39 PA’s had 13 total bases with an improved 6/9 BB/K.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well yepez is a clear all or nothing player. Sure he can hit 30 homers over a full season but he’s going to strike out an exceptional amount of time
    He also hates to walk. Back in the day, a guy like him wouldn’t have ever made it out of the minors but we are in a different time.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman is going to settle in to a good MLB player. Don’t know if he will ever be more than that but he has potential.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years