2022 Lineup

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This season, Corey Dickerson, Albert Pujols and Juan Yepez each have nine hits. Dickerson has made 53 plate appearances, Pujols 47 and Yepez 20. The young man is off to a fine start.

bccran
    Participant

It will be interesting to see if Gorman and Burleson do as well as Yepez has so far when they’re called up.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its fun to think about fitting Gorman into that lineup, jj.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling, the lineup could use another bat good vs Rhp’s. Gorman, come on down!

The good news is, 8 of Yepez 9 hits are off righties.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez has done great but I would pause on the coronation just yet. It will be interesting going forward if he keeps on hitting, who becomes expendable outside of Dickerson. Doesn’t have to be this year, could be off-season. I don’t think the Cardinals are ready to give up on Carlson and I believe he will come around. Bader has been pretty much as good this year as last year. That leaves O’Neil who did start hot but has struggled a lot at time particularly with strike outs.Somrthing to keep an eye on.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez to cleanup, check, but Molina in front of Bader? Come on Ollie, just leave Molina 8th.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Gorman is striking out 35% of the time. Burleson 17% of the time. Both bat from the left side. Whom do you think will be called up first?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Will they need a corner outfielder or a second baseman? Gorman has a .998 OPS. Burleson’s is .874.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

They will need a corner OF when O’Neill joins DeJong in AAA. As long as Yepez isn’t a complete liability in LF keep running him out there, the guy can hit. And until Gorman can make contact leave him in AAA. We dont need a left handed O’Neill.
    If Mo needs some help with talent evaluation I’ll leave my current job, but he’ll probably run me off faster than Schildt when I don’t agree with him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would O’Neill be sent down? I think you are being too harsh on these guys, Cards667. By the end of the year, O’Neill will be a solidly above average hitter with his usual excellent defense.

Gorman will strike out plenty but will also add power and develop the plate approach in time. He’s going to be more than fine.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Gorman may develop. Well see, I still fear he’s way more Russell Branyan than Jim Edmonds. I don’t think Gorman is close to being ready to be called up for sure though, regardless of the hype.
    As for O’Neill, I’ve never been a believer in him. His “excellent defense” is made up from elite speed. His routes aren’t the best, below avg arm, and is the best I can describe “clunky”, but his speed gets him to balls many OF’s don’t have a chance at. As for his hitting.
    2018- 64 games AAA, 61 MLB, .254/.303/.500, 40% K, 5% BB, .246 ISO, 35% out of zone swing, 45% hard contact
    2019- 47 games minors, 60 MLB, .262/.311/.411, 35% K, 6.6%BB, .149 ISO, 37% out of zone swing, 36% hard contact
    2020- no minor season, 50 MLB, .173/.261/.360, 27% K, 9.6%BB, .187 ISO, 29% out of zone swing, 29% hard contact
    2021- 138 MLB games, .286/.352/.550, 31% K, 7% BB, .274 ISO, 32% out of zone swing, 52% hard contact
    2022- 27 MLB games, .198/.267/.317, 29% K, 9% BB, .119 ISO, 32% out of zone swing, 36% hard contact.

He ranked top 15 MLB in hard contact for 2021. He’s not I the top 125 for 2022. You tell me was 2021 a “break out season” or a complete outlier and he’s the hitter who was unbelievably inconsistent and frustrating, struggling to stay in the majors for 3 years with stats that don’t exactly scream consistent big league middle of the order bat.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman may develop. Well see, I still fear he’s way more Russell Branyan than Jim Edmonds.

If he’s between Russell Branyan and Jim Edmonds, that’s somewhere between a borderline all star and a borderline hall of famer. I’d take either of those outcomes very happily. Again, he will be called up before long and he’ll struggle. People with an agenda will show up and say “look, I told you he’s not that good!” He’ll get his feet under him and then be fine. He’s gonna be a bat first guy, likely 110-120 wRC+ with usable but not great defense, good power, plenty of Ks.

As for O’Neill, you could be right. We will find out. I still think he ends up as an above average hitter, and don’t care about arm or angles; the proof is in the results (elite defense).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman could end up being our version of Kyle Schwarber, which isn’t bad.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of our outfielders I’d rank O’Neill as the best arm. Bader 2nd place but with mental mistakes when throwing to bases.

TCN rated Gorman ahead of Yepez, and Yepez barrels the ball very well.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I would hope he’s better than Schwarber, but I don’t think he walks that much.
    “Red flags flown at Palm Beach included Gorman’s strikeout rate growing to 31.7% while his walk rate was cut in half between the two A-ball levels – from 11.3% to 5.7%. In comparison, over his entire minor league career, Randal Grichuk never fanned at 31.7% or above. Tyler O’Neill reached that mark just once, at 32.2% at Class-A in 2014.” – written by Brian Walton.
    I think he’s a LH Grichuk. Which makes him basically like everyone’s favorite Cardinal…Brandon Moss.
    And Dan made sure to point out Gorman hit another HR today in the broadcast, but failed to mention 3 more K.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schwarber has a career OPS of .829 and averages 37 HR’s per 162 games. That is better than Grichuk or Moss.

I think we would take those numbers for Gorman.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Once again Edman is cooling off after being inserted in the leadoff spot.

Batting leadoff his OPS is .681
    Batting sixth his OPS is 1.071
    Batting ninth his OPS is 1.042

It is kind of like how getting the final three outs in the 9th is different than the other innings. Hitting leadoff is just different than batting lower in the order. The mental side of the game is underappreciated in my opinion. The spreadsheet experts don’t want to hear it.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Schwarber is better than Grichuk or Moss. I was saying I’d hoped Gorman was better than Schwarber being as highly touted as he is and the teams #1 prospect. But I have a feeling his much more Brandon Moss than he even is Schwarber. We’ll see, he’s just turned 22, he’s got some time.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right you are gscottat.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The mental side of the game is underappreciated in my opinion. The spreadsheet experts don’t want to hear it.

I’m sure Maddux and Albert don’t believe in intangibles, so Ollie doesn’t either

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On Gorman, I find it odd that the people who are scoffing because of his high K rate won’t acknowledge that he had a very good K rate last year in almost 3 times as many PA at Memphis. It’s pretty clear he’s using a couple different approaches and will likely settle somewhere into the middle. What’s not likely is that he will not be able to adjust and end up a bust.

If he adopts the contact approach at the expense of some power, I see a Mike Moustakas type. Decent average, decent power, playable but not great defense.

If he goes for broke with the power, he could be a Joey Gallo or Scwharber…low average, high Ks and decent walks, ok defense.

I’ll give another example because I think he’s worth mentioning…Giancarlo Stanton’s minor league K rates were pretty high. Now, he was younger than Gorman but I’m giving Gorman a year break due to the bungled COVID year. Maybe you think that he doesn’t have the power potential that Stanton has, but a .375 ISO at 21 years old in AAA (barely 22) even with a lost year is pretty impressive and is probably the absolute best case scenario for Gorman. It would take everything. A .270 average, 35-40 HRs and solid walk rates and defense makes you a Cardinals Hall of Famer if you do it for 8-10 years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Bader hit 7th, Yadi 8th, and Donovan 9th. That way you can use utilize Baders speed in front of Yadi contact and hit and run occasionally. Donovan has shown good on base skills, so get him on base in front of the big bats.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is more about active roster than lineup, but if PDJ stays hot like he’s been the past week, and given his contract, then he, O’Neill and Carlson will all be ready to come back fairly soon. Then what?

bccran
    Participant

That’s a great question, Blingboy.
    How do you handle Edman, DeJong, Gorman, Donovan, and Sosa? I can’t imagine Gorman or Donovan going down.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.