2022 Lineup

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ok, so, if everything stays the same here’s the lineup that I – Me, Muah – would go with during the early stages of the 2022 season. I am going to assume most other posters won’t like it.

vs Righties:
    Edman 2B
    Carlson RF
    Arenado 3B
    Goldschmidt 1B
    O’Neill LF
    Dickerson DH
    Molina C
    DeJong SS
    Bader CF

vs Lefties
    Edman 2B
    Carlson RF
    Arenado 3B
    Goldschmidt 1B
    O’Neill LF
    Molina C
    Yepez DH
    DeJong SS
    Bader CF

Thoughts?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

This looks about right.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I hope Liberatore becomes a starter at the MLB level soon.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The best lineup by far:

RF Carlson
    1B Goldy
    3B Arenado
    LF O’Neill
    DH Dickerson/Yepez
    SS Dejong/Sosa
    CF Bader
    C Molina
    2B Edman/Gorman

After a short time I think Gorman moves up to the 5/6 spot. Edman is not a good leadoff man but he’ll be a very good #9 batter. Carlson will be a .360+ OBP guy so he’s a natural leadoff guy.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not bad. I like Sosa better at short than DeJong based on last year, but if Paul can show some life this Spring and win the job then fine.

Carlson at the top is okay for now. As he matures he will likely be a run producer though, and should hit lower.

Bader would be a great guy at lead off if he can continue the improvement he made last year. Edman at 9 is ideal, as long as he holds off Gorman.

I am okay with Goldy at 2 in a DH lineup. Did not like him there at all in a traditional pitcher-hits setting though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Carlson
    Goldschmidt
    Arenado
    O’Neill
    Bader
    Edman
    Sosa / PDJ
    Molina / Knizner
    Yepez / Dickerson / Noot

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Uh, well, all I can say is……I sure am glad some of the posters on here are not – NOT – managing the Cardinals.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Sosa will get some DH chances while we live through the DeJong experience again.

My guess is Ollie might start out with something pretty much like the winning streak lineup from late last season, then we will start to see different looks.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

blingboy wrote:

My guess is Ollie might start out with something pretty much like the winning streak lineup from late last season, then we will start to see different looks.

I think you might have something there bling. At least as close to the lineup that he can possibly come. However, I still like Edman and Carlson in the #1 and #2 spots.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’d start with
    1. Edman – 2B (S)
    2. Goldschmidt – 1B (R)
    3. O’Neill – LF (R)
    4. Arenado – 3B (R)
    5. Carlson – RF (S)
    6. DeJong – SS (R)
    7. Dickerson/Yepez – DH (L/R)
    8. Molina – C (R)
    9. Bader – CF

Then make adjustments as needed. Could be Carlson leading off, Bader 5th or 6th, Sosa at SS, I still say O’Neill is the most likely for regression and him hitting 3rd may not be where he sticks. But Is start off with that and adjust off of it.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I also have said I wasn’t as high on Gorman as a lot of people, and even said I thought he was more of Russell Braynan. But the little I’ve seen this spring his leg kick is lower, swing is shorter and more compact than it was in the low level minors. And he looks way more like someone who can be a consistent major league hitter. So I think he could be in the lineup at some point, especially if there is a injury that needs him to fill in.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I really think the team needs to find a leadoff hitter. Here are the recent batting lines for the players that are most likely to bat leadoff for the Cardinals this year:

.255/.328/.425/.753
    .258/.327/.457/.784
    .259/.310/.382/.692

I have some hope that 1 of those will increase their OBP quite a bit but should really hit at other positions in the lineup. Another COULD increase their OBP but has some work to do. The other is probably going to remain fairly close to where they currently are.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch, I don’t think it’s really fair to add in Carlson’s initial call up stats to include in a projection going forward. He was much better last year and 22 year olds who play well usually make for very good 23 year olds. I think his .343 OBP last year will rise this year. As for whether he should be somewhere else in the lineup…I think Goldy, O’Neill and Arenado are locked into the 2-3-4 so unless you’d rather he take the 5 spot and get 100 less PA, I think leadoff is his best spot by far.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I would not have a problem moving Carlson down in the order IF the Cardinals had someone with an OBP close to .400. If Donovan could continue to hit like he did last year and could play an above average 2B, he would be my choice for leadoff. Either that or he would need to be a super sub getting 120 or more starts at all the positions, combined.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Any update on O’Neill’s contract status? I read they might be trying to work out an extension, but I would assume tomorrow or this afternoon would be the arbitration hearing?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

With what I saw this spring and the addition of Pujols, I’d now start out with
    1. Carlson – RF (S)
    2. Goldschmidt – 1B (R)
    3. O’Neill- LF (R)
    4. Arenado – 3B (R)
    5. DeJong – SS (R)
    6. Dickerson/Pujols – DH (L/R)
    7. Bader – CF (R)
    8. Molina – C (R)
    9. Edman – 2B (S)

Sosa – IF (R), Dickerson – OF (L)/Pujols (R), Nootbarr – OF (L), Knizner – C (R)

I’m still a believer in Edman and huge fan. I like him hitting leadoff, bit understand the concern, and with the spring he had I’d take the pressure off and hit him 9 where he’s still a “leadoff” for the 2nd time around.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well cards667, seems like a decent lineup. I personally would bat O’Neil second mainly because of speed. I know goldy isn’t like a turtle but Carlson is a little younger, should be faster than goldy. So O’Neil second, goldy, third. That way O’Neil can get those triples a little easier. I like Molina behind bader. Molina likes to go to right a lot which would give a lot of first and thirds but you can also do hit n runs, or other stuff. Redman behind molina isn’t great so I don’t know if maybe Molina shouldn’t bat 9th. Him and pujols will definitely be anchors on the bases. Pujols usually hits it far or nothing now but molina still gets those singles.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Edman’s base stealing ability behind Molina is my concern.
    Maybe I’d go
    7. Bader
    8. Edman
    9. Molina
    But I’m not sure how much it would actually be a factor.

Let those 2 use their speed to steal some bases and hit and run with Molina. But I’m sure Molina will be hitting 6th and right there in the middle of the line up like they’ve been doing with him for a few years.
    O’Neill repeating last season is still a HUGE concern of mine. But I hit him 3rd and give him a chance obviously. Move him down and make the necessary adjustments when needed.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two points re the above lineup.

First, we will probably see more Knizner than we are used to. Second, they probably want somebody who might do some damage hitting behind Pujols.

I agree Carlson is our best option for leadoff and we really don’t have the right personnel to try and work speed into the offense.

If DeJong can stick, our infield D will even more awesome than last year, but I will believe it when I see it.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ya know, I’ve said it before and I will say it again – I am sure glad the posters on here are NOT in charge of the lineups. And I’ve said it before – I never really liked Schildt’s lineups. And, unfortunately, I will probably not like Marmol’s lineups either.

And it amazes me that so many want Carlson leading off and have Edman down near the bottom of the lineup, if not last. Let me ask one question – who batted leadoff in every single game of the 17 game winning streak last September? The answer – EDMAN!!!

r/Esteemed Rat<~~~~who has an appt with the hot nurse practitioner tomorrow. And who will then head down to the Amish restaurant, the Gasthof, for his late lunch.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Edman at leadoff and his .310 OBP, he’d be on base 214 times if he matches last year’s PA.

With Carlson at leadoff and his .343 OBP, he’d be on base 234 times if he matches Edman’s PA. And that’s if Carlson doesn’t improve, as I expect he will be in the .360s OBP. At .365 and matching Edman’s PA, he would be on base 252 times. You really can’t substitute for having a guy on ahead of Goldy and O’Neill/Arenado almost 40 more times in a season.

Don’t get me wrong…I think Edman is a good player, and I’m glad he’s on the team. I just don’t think he’s a leadoff man.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Won’t see this but using this roster this would be my lineup.

1. O’Neill- LF (R)
    2. Carlson – RF (L)
    3. Goldschmidt – 1B (R)
    4. Arenado – 3B (R)
    5. Dickerson – CF (L) / Pujols – DH (R)
    6. Nootbar – DH (L) Molina – C – (R)
    7. Molina – C (R)/ Bader – CF (R)
    8. Sosa – SS (R)
    9. Edman – 2B (S)

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

We are gifted with 3 players in the top 20 in mlb by sprint speed ( O’Neill, Bader and Sosa). Edman ranks 55th, so half our lineup can burn.

Lets logjamb them behind Pujols and Molina, maybe the two slowest players in mlb, because we can’t disrespect them batting them 8th and 9th where they belong.

If you like stretching singles into doubles, or first to third, forget it with the leadfoots on base ahead of our speed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert is a future HOF but don’t forget he is also one of the worst baserunners in the game, or at least used to be. Even in his prime he was notorious for trying to stretch a single into a triple. Maybe he has cut that out of his game. I haven’t watched him much in the last 10 years so I don’t know.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Someone unfortunately has to bat behind Albert and Yadi. How else would you line it up? You want to hit Carlson or Goldy 7th. One of those speedsters has to hit behind them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.