2022 Lineup

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Leadfoot contact hitters are best served in front of the power (1st, 2nd, 3rd, cleanup). When the power hits HR’s the leadfoots get to jog the bases too.

1-3 power
    4-6 speed
    7-9 contact

Speed in front of the contact hitters gives the bottom of the order rbi potential. It’s trying to help the bottom of the order produce.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well jj what about the leadfoot power guy, where he go

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They aren’t putting all speed guys at 4-6

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They aren’t putting AP 8th and Yadi 9th either, so we will get to see our rabbits as station to station. Seems a waste.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well it’s why I believe that speech guys as long as they can get on base well enough should go up towards the top of lineup. Power guys 3-5. Of course O’Neil is a speed guy as well so having him at number 2 makes sense. I still like bader down towards bottom. With dh, it makes sense to have someone with speed be it edman or bader batting 9th.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Not all on this Team fit those categories. Albert only fit’s in the power category. So he hits 1-3? What category is Yadi? Speed is out. Power is out. Contact is out? Gotta be power maybe?

That leaves a lineup like this Pujols, Yadi, Goldy, Arenado, O’Neill, Bader, Sosa/Dejong, Carlson, Edman.
    Worrying about a speed guy or two that don’t have high OBP’s getting clogged up on the bases is pushing it. If you have one with a higher OBP lead him off. Put the others at 8-9. After the first inning who bats leadoff is not a given. Your 8 hitter may just be the leadoff.

Someone with speed is gonna be behind Yadbert when you have 4-5 guys with speed. All there is too it.

And for all this speed we talk about the stolen base numbers don’t impress.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5, 6, 7 (pujols, pdj and yadi) go 0 fer 12 and the rest of the lineup scores 9.
    That’s the bottom 3 batters, easily, but when they go 0 fer, they don’t clog the bases 🙄. Silver lining? Ha!
    O well, enough said. What wont change must be endured.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess some people don’t realize that speed on the bases doesn’t really just translate to stolen bases.in fact stealing bases is generally more about the art of the deal than the speed of the runner though speed does definitely help. Me personally, I would put molina in between bader and edman just for the benefit of the fact Molina is more versatile with the bat. But if you aren’t going to take advantage of that versatility, then it doesn’t matter. We dont really know the coach’s philosophy yet.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One game doesn’t tell much, but we have to accept that the three 0fer guys from yesterday could all be about done. Hopefully not, but if so, then hopefully Ollie will not be inclined to stick with a losing proposition like Shildt did with Carp last year. But we do not really know if eventually putting Carp and PDJ and their fat paychecks on the bench was part of Mike’s undoing. It will be fun to see what happens and how the worm turns.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Marmol will feel pressure to have Albert in the lineup for most home games regardless of the opposing pitcher since most of the fans will be clamoring to see him. I know the assumption is that he will get to pinch it when he doesn’t start but the DH eliminates a lot of PH opportunities.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, the PH opportunities for Albert should come when the opponent puts in a left-handed reliever.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, the PH opportunities for Albert should come when the opponent puts in a left-handed reliever.

You mean pinch hit for Dickerson? I guess that is possible but with all of the pitching changes you never know if a lefty will be on the mound when Dickerson’s turn comes up. Also, when a DH is pinch hit for does the pinch hitter become the DH for the rest of the game or does the pitcher have to hit? I have forgotten my old AL rules.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a good question gscottat, I’ve never really liked the dh, so I don’t know all the rules surrounding it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s going to be interesting to see how guys on the bench get used being we have the dh now. Always before guys would get at bats by pinch hitting for pitchers plus a spot start here or there. If course if injuries happened, they would come in. Now we have dh, so less opportunities for guys to get at bats during games. I mean you can do situational stuff late in the game but then you have guys in there that aren’t as good defensively. It’s stuff like this that is the treason I don’t like the dh. I like double switches and such. It’s why I think with having the dh, there should be open lineup switching or at least allow the same players to come back in the same spot in the lineup like lots of younger leagues do. They borrowed the put a runner on second in extras from there, they could borrow a few more

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To the question posed earlier, whoever pinch runs or pinch hits for the DH becomes the new DH.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I think at this point I’d try
    1. Edman – SS (S)
    2. Bader – CF (R)
    3. Goldschmidt – 1B (R)
    4. Arenado – 3B (R)
    5. Dickerson/Pujols – DH (L/R)
    6. O’Neill – LF (R)
    7. Carlson – RF (S)
    8. Knizner – C (R)
    9. Donovan/Sosa – 2B (L/R)

Sosa, DeJong, Pujols, Molina

And be searching for something to do with DeJong and making some serious evaluation on how soon is a reasonable time for Gorman.
    It might be too early to say I saw it coming with O’Neill, but I saw it coming. I thought Carlson was ready for a step forward, but he’s not appearing so right now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It might be too early to say I saw it coming with O’Neill, but I saw it coming.

It’s definitely too early to say that. He was slashing .167/.200/.405 on Apr 27 last year and striking out 40% of the time with 2 walks on the year. He turned out fine. This year the K and walk rates look solid, but he’s not squaring the ball up well and it’s showing. The super low BABIP will improve and he’ll be better. So will Carlson, for that matter.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Also, when a DH is pinch hit for does the pinch hitter become the DH for the rest of the game or does the pitcher have to hit? I have forgotten my old AL rules.

Pitcher has to bat if DH moves to a defensive position. Suppose Pujols is DH, but replaces injured Goldy at 1B. Pitcher would assume Goldy’s position in the batting order.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Todays lineup is fairly close to yours above Cards667, enjoy!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agree on “too early to tell” with Ty. He will have some impressive numbers when the stats are posted for 2022. He is right there in his peak years. Guys can go half a season and not do much, and turn it around. Goldy was that way last year. In fact a lot of our team was that way last year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CFICT asked:

Any update on O’Neill’s contract status? I read they might be trying to work out an extension, but I would assume tomorrow or this afternoon would be the arbitration hearing?

The hearing was today. O’Neill asked for $4.15 MM. The team’s offer was $3.4 MM. Decision will be announced in a few weeks.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Thank you for the update. I wonder if his early struggles had any influence on working out an extension….

14NyquisT
    Participant

Liberatore, who was named the Cardinals’ 2021 Minor League Pitcher of the Year on Wednesday, headlines a stellar class of top Minor League prospects for the Cardinals. That group includes Juan Yepez
    and Jordan Walker, who were named the Cardinals’ 2021 Minor League Co-Players of the Year on Wednesday. Yepez is MLB Pipeline’s No. 5-ranked first-base prospect, and Walker is the No. 3 third-base prospect in baseball.

Are we overlooking Yepez’ talent. He’s the guy we traded Adams for. I still feel that we won on that trade.
    AFL all-star 2021.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nyquis – source?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2B Edman
    1B Goldschmidt
    3B Arenado
    DH Yepez
    LF O’Neill
    CF Bader
    RF Carlson
    C Molina / Knizner
    SS DeJong / Sosa

The way Yepez is hitting, he’s earned cleanup. I am getting speed in front of C and SS as I’d hoped. Just tweek Yepez and O’Neill, Ollie!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.