2022 Cardinals MLB Game 131 thread – Wednesday, August 31 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 131 thread – Wednesday, August 31 at Reds

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This whole post looked suspect to me. Where did you get your data? Fangraphs has the following WPA numbers.

Those are the positive WPA numbers…which have to be balanced by the negative WPA numbers. When you take the balance, my order is correct.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyway, a good win last night to gut it out. Glad the Cards have a day off before the Cubs series.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice win. But Pallante with 3 walks and 3 hits allowed was fortunate to get the W. Nevertheless, a nice road series win when we didn’t play that well.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I do not like Fangraphs.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The question is, has Lars Nootbaar passed Dylan Carlson on the depth chart? Gets on base – decent power, good defense, good speed, lots of enthusiasm.

A lot to like about Nooty.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The question is, has Lars Nootbaar passed Dylan Carlson on the depth chart? Gets on base – decent power, good defense, good speed, lots of enthusiasm.

A lot to like about Nooty.

I wasn’t a big believer in Nootbaar, but he’s looked very very solid. I still hold out some home for Dylan to get better as he ages, but it’s possible he’s just a 4tb OFer going forward.

Another fair question to ask…with the success that teams like Atlanta have had with calling guys up from AA, should we consider Winn and Walker legit threats to open in St Louis next year? That would open up all sorts of trade avenues…Edman, Donovan, Nootbaar, Carlson, O’Neill could all be potentially moved as part of an upgrade elsewhere.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Yep, there’s no denying his everyday presense in the line-up has provided an octane boost for the offense. At present he’s 4th in slugging on this team and boasts a nice .359 OBP. You mentioned his good defense. I can’t recall seeing him make a bad play in RF all season. Furthermore, and this may well be the kicker card…he looks just like a young Wayne Nooton!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Although he undoubtedly bailed out Eddie on a wide throw to HP to get the tag down and the out in the 11th, Molina’s looked downright spent and overmatched for the entire season with the bat. His extensive practical experience under fire in the post-season may prove to be valuable if the Redbirds qualify, but I say it’s high time to place AK-7 behind HP to start the majority of games for the remainder of the regular season. Knizners’ OBP is 110 pct. pts. above Yadier’s team worst .219 OBP. Sad, but true.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I thought of Nooty as a AAAA guy or possibly a reserve outfielder coming in to the season. But he has taken the opportunity and run with it, so to speak. I remember about a generation ago a kid named Ken Oberkfell sort of did the same thing. Was not thought of as an every day guy, but got a chance to play and won the second base job, then later moved over to third base.

Some guys just mature and surprise you. I mean wasn’t Randal Grichuk chosen ahead of Mike Trout by the Angels? As 1TD says, “you never know”.

PadsFS
    Participant

Nootbaar has been fantastic. I thought he was done after his early season slide and his lackluster stint at Memphis. Heck, his STL OPS is higher than his Memphis OPS this year. .801 to .827

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I know that Ken Oberkfell was signed by the Cardinals as an amatuer FA, but if I recall correctly, he first caught the attention of Redbird talent scouts during an open tryout held at either SIU Edwardsville or SIU Carbondale in the early to mid 70’s. Those types of tryouts were not at all uncommon during those days. I still have a letter addressed to my younger brother that features the bird on the bat logo on the letterhead for an invite to an open tryout that was held at SEMO in 1976. The letter instructs him to, “Be sure to bring your own glove and a pair of baseball cleats. Everything else will be provided at the tryout.” Haha!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Never been a fan of depth charts or who is the starter and reserves any current day, Mike. What we do know is it will change. Someone will find a slump, while another gets hot. Somebody gets dinged up and another goes IL. We need five who won’t embarrass the jersey while wearing a glove or in the batters box.

We / Oli / analytical dept, seem to have developed a keen eye for handedness platooning, and Oli will play a hot bat, as long as he has the D covered in CF. It’s fluid, because batters are a streaky bunch.

How many weeks did Oli start O’Neill when he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat? It’s paying off now, and the manager deserves the credit. Probably didn’t hurt that Carlson was in the same boat struggling, as far as O’Neills playing time.

Noot has been hot for a month, plus. It’s getting hard not to believe he is a mlb regular. Plays strong D too.

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years