2022 Cardinals MLB Game 131 thread – Wednesday, August 31 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 131 thread – Wednesday, August 31 at Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:40 p.m.
    LHP José Quintana (4-6, 3.45) vs. LHP Mike Minor (3-10, 6.10)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards better get this one. Absolutely cannot afford to lose two of three to the Reds. Goldschmidt better figure it out overnight and start looking like an MVP caliber player.

I am going to assume that Pujols and Carlson will be in the lineup for this one. Along with DeJong.

I am going to call this one 7-2 Redbirds with Pujols getting off the schneid with a long dong to left at Riverfront.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

UPDATE:

Pirates plate a run in the top of the 9th. 4-2 Pittsburgh heading to the last of the 9th at Miller Park. Three outs away from maintaining the six game lead.

Stay tuned…….

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, the good news is that Mil. doesn’t gain any ground on the Redbirds, but the bad news is that with a win tonight the Cardinals could have shaved a full game off of the Mets 7 game lead for a chance at not having to survive an extra play-off round. I’d say Al Davis said it best…”Just win, baby!”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I took a look at the Mil/Pitt. box score from last night and happened to notice that Counsell had Wong batting in the clean-up slot. That seemed like a desperation move to me, but I also noticed that Kolten had 2 hits which included a 2 run HR that accounted for the Brewers only runs in the losing effort.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

A bit tough on Goldy….

14NyquisT
    Participant

How Cardinals’ Tommy Edman became a defensive metrics darling and ‘the most valuable defender in baseball’
    Author Ryan Fagan the Sporting News

://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/cardinals-defensive-metrics-tommy-edman-most-valuable-defender/fmlhx29gi71pgr2xtrxy2xzl

Edman’s value is highest with the Cards. I know at least one contributor that still doubts that.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oliver…Yeah, too bad we didn’t offer him up before the deadline while he still had some value on the trade market…And did you see that misplay by Nolan “brickhands” Arenado at 3B last night? He clearly should have anticipated the baseball taking that crazy glance off the 3B bag and cleanly gripped the thing and made the easy throw to get the out…DH him from here on out and put Donovan over on the left corner before this 6 game lead evaporates…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT…I can’t provide the link, but there’s an interesting article in the StL. Post Dispatch that takes a close look at the GG award qualifications for both Eddie and T. O’Neill for this season. It takes into account the fact that Edman has a lot of innings at both middle IF positions this season as well as listing the exact qualifications for GG consideration.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Anybody who watches the Cardinals play every day knows how valuable Eddie is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The SABR Defensive Index (SDI) is 1/4 of the Gold Glove scoring (with the other 3/4 subjective coach/manager votes).

In the most recent SDI update for 2022, which was at the All-Star break, Edman was no. 6 among all NL players and top at second base. Arenado was no. 1 overall.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has been the 5th most valuable Cardinal position player by Win Probability Added. Goldy, Arenado, Donovan and Nootbaar are ahead of him. If you remove his scorching April, he’s 8th, behind Carlson, O’Neill and Dickerson. He’s undoubtedly a good player and provides good value as a super utility guy who has filled in where the SS and 2B position have needed help.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Nice to see Woodford finally get some warm fuzzies from Marmol in the press. Looks like he’ll stick this time, maybe even get a spot start or two.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Tommy Edman is a great Cardinal and my favorite Cardinal in quite a while.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Gamecard…Yeah, I always want to proclaim that, “Eddie’s the man!” But I’m not quite sure he’s ready to take that moniker away from Musial…Yet! Haha…In any event, Eddie’s our boy, Gamecard! And like yourself, he’s one of my favorite Redbird ballplayers to come along in some time. He seems to be amping it up with the bat lately, but let’s hope he doesn’t get tater happy. I’d like to see him collect more doubles. He’s way down in that dept. with only 23 so far this season after collecting 41 in ’22. No question that he’s a primary component of this Cardinal team on the IF, batter’s box and basepaths.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He sure is your favorite cardinal….forgive the rest of us fans that like him but he is not our favorite cardinal. To each his own. Good solid valuable player happy he is a cardinal just not my favorite.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

1. Tommy Edman, 2B

2. Dylan Carlson, CF

3. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B

4. Nolan Arenado, 3B

5. Albert Pujols, DH

6. Tyler O’Neill, LF

7. Paul DeJong, SS

8. Yadier Molina, C

9. Brendan Donovan LF

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I think everyone would agree that the primary offensive roles for the trio of Donovan, Edman and Nootbar are to reach base to be pushed across HP by the big kids with the bats. All 3 of them are certainly filling that role nicely. Donovan and Nootz have 597 PA’s between the 2 of them. Collectively, the duo have 83 runs scored so far this season. 43 for Donovan and 40 for Nootz. Eddie has 524 PA’s so far this season and has crossed HP 84 times, which is 4th among NL leaders in runs scored. Runs are still pretty important…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Yeah 1td…Eddie is still behind Stan the Man.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

lol gamecard you sure have a major man crush. Great to see my favorite cardinal back in the lineup the amazing PDJ

bccran
    Participant

Last night the Cards faced a starter who had an ERA of
    5.12. Tonight’s starter has an ERA of 6.10. We’re in trouble.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oliver…Yeah, with Goldy in the midst of a major tailspin, Paulie’s being summoned to shore up the offensive attack…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

bccran…Haha! I’d say so…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The guy that needs to get going is Carlson. He is just not producing like most envisioned. A couple of years ago I predicted he would be similar to Andrew Benintendi. Some thought I was selling Dylan too short. Perhaps I was being too generous.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee a 4-1 lead over Pittsburgh in the last of the 7th at County Stadium. We need a win tonight at Crosley Field against the Reds to maintain the six game lead.

I’d recommend strike early, strike often.

Din-din today was the weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. There were a couple of hot blondes there today!

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.