2022 Cardinals MLB Game 118 thread – Friday, August 19 at Arizona

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 118 thread – Friday, August 19 at Arizona

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

8:40 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (9-9, 3.44) vs. LH Tommy Henry (2-1, 4.15)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I will probably miss the first 2-3 innings of this one as high school football kicks off this Friday night here in Indiana. The Jasper Wildcats play host to the Evansville Memorial Tigers in Game #1 of the 2022 season.

On the way home I will stop and get me a Double Whopper and Fries at Burger King and then when I get home me and Whitey Herdog will be tuning in for the remainder. I am sure Whitey will coax a bite or two from me like she always does.

Brewers got the Cubs this weekend at Wrigley. Hope the Cubs can win at least one.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a game that sets up beautifully for this upstart Evansville Memorial Tigers squad, who’s versatile offense should fully exploit Jasper’s porous defense. Let’s call it 38-10 Evansville…shall we. Why don’t you give your faithful pooch her own junior whopper (minus the pickles and heavy on the hamburger), instead of having to mooch mere scraps off you, Rat? Go Cards!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Although he remains invaluable behind HP, everyone can see that Molina hasn’t contributed much at all with the bat this season. But I’m not at all ready to write him off. I strongly suspect that the great veteran Cardinal catcher will find a way to generate some key RBI base hits when there’s a lot of money on the table in big games down the stretch and into the post-season simply because that’s what he does. A lot of people forget that he led all Redbirds in RBI’s with 9 in the ’11 WS, but no one will ever forget the HR he hit at Shea Stadium in the visitor half of the 9th to set up Wainwright’s home half K of Beltran with the bases jammed and send the Cardinals on their way to their 10th world championship. I simply think Molina won’t go away quietly in his last season of a HOF career. No way he’s going to let his old buddy Albert upstage him without a fight…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Donovan at a .403 OBP. Can’t argue with that. Without any question he needs to be penciled in somewhere at the top to set the table for as long as he can keep it anywhere within 50 pct. pts. No way around it.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

At 7 days shy of 41 years old, Adam Wainwright’s ’22 workload now places 3rd in the NL with 150.1 IP. It brings a smile knowing that he’s not only showing that the old guys can still pull their shifts, but also craft together a superior finished product.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would hit Donovan 2nd, and utilize that OBP.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is going to be a tough series. They don’t score many runs, but their starting pitching is pretty good. And Gallen isn’t even pitching against us.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cards27…Yeah, and we all saw what happened in Colo. last week after sweeping the Yankees. Cardinals have to avoid walking into an ambush out in the desert. Redbirds are 19 games over at home, which is nice, but I’ve always thought that a team’s W/L record on the road is a better indicator of any ballclub’s character and determination. At 4 games under on the road, the Redbirds are the only division leader in the Big Leagues to feature a losing W/L record while playing away from home, so it’d been nice to erase that unwelcome distiction in AZ. and CHI. before returning home to face the Braves. We’ll see what happens.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

TD: Just catching up on things from yesterday, my thanks to forsch for bringing up the matter of all those abbreviations. I thought I was the only one baffled by the avalanche of capital letters, which often leave me in a state of dazed incomprehension. I assumed it was just a case of my own extreme old-farthood. But you have apparently taken it to heart in most recent posts making your contributions even more enjoyable. Thank you.

Let’s give those snakes what for tonight. Rah Cardinals!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree with 1TD on Molina, and said so in another thread. Then again, catching is a tough career and does wear guys down. So we will see.

Donovan has been a nice addition to this club and has earned a spot near the top of the order. Seems to hang in good against lefties as well.

I would like to see the club go with Gorman at second and Edman at short the rest of the year. Give Gorman a lot of reps and get those guys working together. Tough moving Edman off second as I believe he leads all of MLB in take-away runs, but if he can do that at second he should be able to do it at short too.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m fine with dejong at short and edman at second at this moment. Gormans defense at second is still a big liability to me. He would have to hit a whole lot better for me to justify him at second most of the time. But that’s just my thoughts,not trying to convince anyone else.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

It depends which will be biggest liability, DeJong’s putrid offense or Gorman’s glove. At this point you can make a point for keeping DeJong because of Edman’s defense at second but I don’t see DeJong as the long term ss for this team.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Before ever even seeing him man up at SS, some questioned Eddie’s arm strength at that positon before he quickly answered the question in the affirmative. I had no doubts in this area simply because he’d been placed in RF and 3B numerous times prior to ever being placed at SS with the Cardinals. I simply thought that there was no way he would be placed in RF or 3B by a Redbird manager if his arm was not only strong, but also an accurate one. The only possible area that may suffer with Tommy at SS is the occasional good power generated by DeJong if he indeed manages to makes contact. His arm is on par with DeJong and he’s a substantial upgrade in the area of range. Obviously I’d like to see Paulie excel, but this is a Big League pennant race. Can’t stay with him too long at all if he reverts back to the guy we saw take a two month hiatus.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Gorman’s no Ryno at the keystone, but I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as a liability at this juncture. He’s played reasonably well at 2B to date and I believe he’ll improve.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bicyclemike emphasized how tough it must be to make a living at the catcher position. Can you imagine a 20 year career of which you were daily subjected to being hit, kicked, slammed and run over by every object imaginable other than the possible exception of a feather duster?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Checking the out of town scoreboard so far this Friday. The Cubs lead the Brewers 6-5 after five innings at Wrigley Field. Four homeruns have already been hit in this game so stay tuned.

Would be nice to have a Brewers loss in our minds going into tonight’s game.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brewers briefly took a 7-6 but Morel’s two run dinger has the Cubs back on top 8-7 in the top of the 8th at Wrigley.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI here,

The Padres lost to the Nationals last night 3-1 at San Diego. It was a 1-1 game in the 7th and the Padres had the bases loaded and two outs with Soto up. Soto struck out. He slammed his bat and helmet down. I just laughed. The Nationals got two in the 9th to win the game.

At the end of seven at Wrigley the Cubs still lead 8-7.

r/Esteemed Rat

UPDATE: Milwaukee fails to score in the top of the 8th. 8-7 Cubs and just three more outs to go.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

cubs beat brewers

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Me personally I’d do something like
    Vs RHP
    1. Nootbaar RF
    2. Donovan DH
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Arenado 3B
    5. Gorman 2B
    6. Carlson CF
    7. O’Neill/Dickerson LF
    8. C
    9. Edman SS

Vs LHP
    1. Edman 2B
    2. Carlson CF
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Arenado 3B
    5. Pujols DH
    6. O’Neill LF
    7. DeJong SS
    8. C
    9. Nootbaar RF

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would swap the first two vs LHP. Edman vs LHP OBP .314, Carlson vs LHP OBP .381. In fact, might drop Edman down and move Goldy, NA and Albert up to 2,3,4.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

That obp for Edman vs lefties doesn’t look right bb

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oliver, yea I can see long term moving on from dejong. But not this season. Speaking just for myself, I always favor better superior defense. No matter how good hitters are they fail far more times than they succeed. Sure less hitters succeed less but only do much less. While great defensive players almost always make every play particularly the routine ones even though arenado challenges that sometimes. For teams with little aspirations, playing Gorman at second to get him at bats would make sense. Cardinals have aspirations so in my mind his weakness at second base hurts those aspirations. Everyone knows that it’s defensive liabilities that show up in the biggest games and the biggest moments. You can talk about having a better hitter at a certain time but statistics prove that he’s still likely to fail vs succeed. That’s my perspective. Though to each their own.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That obp for Edman vs lefties doesn’t look right bb

Edman is hitting .272/.314/.404 vs lefties this year. He’s at .250/.319/.359 vs righties.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.