2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea there you go. Carps going to play whether he earns it or not. That’s basically what I read. Basically all he has to do is try and he will be rewarded. Carpenter isn’t trying any harder than anyone else. Hes worth keeping as a bench matchup type player for the moment and the fact we owe him so much money but his time is done. If carp was an amazing defensive player I might understand this but he average at best and in my opinion less than average and he’s horrible on the bases. Funny how this team played hard ball with pujols who was a hundred times the player carpenter is but fell over backwards giving carpenter money and playtime he hasn’t earned. Yea he was a solid player at one time but he’s not an all timer and he’s not solid anymore.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Someone here put forward the idea Carp would be used to take over 2nd whenever Edman slides to SS so DeJong could get regular breaks. I don’t know, but its plausible. I’d rather see Sosa get a role. There is really nothing to be gained by playing Carp, even if he is not terrible.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tuesday Shildt comments:

Bader is finishing up progression. No blips. Giving extra day to be cautious. Will be in Wednesday lineup.

Last time out, CMart had good stuff, but had trouble corralling it. Looking for more consistency in strike zone, but stuff was there.

Camp reduction is coming sooner rather than later. (BW note: Thursday is an off day.) Will not yet disclose how the cut players will work out after no longer with MLB team.

Significant pitching innings were cut with reduction of normal 33 game spring to this year’s 24. B games like Wednesday’s at Washington help.

Spoke with Fernandez today. 1 step backward to make two steps forward. Needs to be in zone more and have more effective control. Encouraged he is on the plate more as outs come when pitches are in the strike zone. Have to get Junior in more action in B games to get him confidence. We have to create opportunities.

On Mikolas and Bader, last year is a factor in terms of being cautious in injury returns. 2/3 of spring left plus B games and intersquad games on days off. So they still have time. Don’t have to push Harrison and Miles. Do not want any setbacks.

Long recap of March 12, 2020 when play was halted. Shildt was aware of the virus but not its impact. When NBA shut down, it caught him off guard. Next day was weird vibe. Kind of knew that game would be it. His job is to provide guidance and clarity, but he did not have a lot of answers. Wasn’t about baseball, but taking care of individuals and families. Ensure everyone’s basic needs were met.

More info on Reyes starting or not in future after he pitches today (following Martinez).

(Wednesday pitchers are listed on our game thread.)

Participant

gsc… I read that story also. Everyone knows that its still too early to draw any reasonable conclusions but its almost impossible for fans not to, especially after the ’20 season. I still have in the back of my mind that there will be glimpses of games being cancelled due to C-19 protocol.

Participant

Free

Understand that Bader had been out with a minor injury, but it seems like Thomas is really challenging him for that starting CF job.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

The field there in Sauget is astroturf, or whatever its called now. Just a FYI.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bling, that someone was Shildt. He has DeJong and Edman playing SS, and Sosa as “backup”.

page 4 this thread, reply 154899

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who starts at 2B, when Edman starts at SS, should be the best matchup vs that games opposing SP’r. If it’s a LHP, I’d doubt it would be Carpenter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was going to say it will be moot if Carp goes 0 for ST, but Sosa doesn’t have any hits yet either.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a heads up for those who come here each morning to read Mike Shildt’s comments, the manager is waiting until after the 10 a.m. B Game at the Nats to speak with the media.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the update, Brian. It’s something I am always looking forward to seeing, myself.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s B Game was about a 3-0 loss, as media was not allowed in. Junior Fernandez struggled again, with a pair of walks and a throwing error before his inning was rolled. In a 1-2-3 inning on 11 pitches, Hicks was “pretty darned good” no matter the vantage point, per Shildt. Hicks is “pretty well cleared physically, mentally, emotionally,” suggesting he can assume a more normal workload. Next step is expected to be a main stadium game.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bling, Carpenter is my pick to click, and that has nothing to do with emotional sentiments. 97% of his PA’s were against the shift last season. I’ve given up that he is willing to make adjustments and beat the shift, so that will hold him back again, but there are some metrics that suggest he’s not “done”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

jj, I hope he’s not done, but I think he’s done. Happens to everyone.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Thursday morning news:

Detail day today. Take notes, gauge where camp is going. Camp has a life of its own. Feel like ahead without being rushed.

Lighter day for pitchers. Optional for them to come in. Some sides, others long toss or day off.

Position players drills, talking as groups. Reinforce what has been done and what needs to be done.

Last 2 days (except for 7th against Mets) have been crisper. Game structures are different with rollover innings and re-entry. Trying situations they need to work on. Will play more in-season strategy ahead. 8 of 24 games in. Have a look what next 16 will look like.

Jose Rondon has done his part. Has sure pop in bat. Some guys figure it out later in career. Valued and confident at multiple positions. Aggressive with leads. Done positive things, not hurt chances (to make team). Very competent at 2B, but not as many innings to go around. Will also float into 3B, but SS is his best position if he had to choose one.

Offense identity continuing to evolve over last couple of years. Picked up where left off last year. Had personnel continuity. Kept in touch with players in offseason. Tyler taking next step. Same with Harrison. It is more about timing with eyes. Some have timing on swing behind others.

Could Woodford take Gant’s spot if the latter is starting? Too early, but he or others could take it.

Pitchers to hit in games sooner than later. Wainwright pitching Friday so you can do deductive reasoning. Likes NL style of baseball. Little bit of head scratcher why this is the last year probably (for pitchers hitting).

On shifts, DRS and defensive efficiency are what they follow. StL was at top of league the last two years. Tracking the usage of shifts is not in their sweet spot. Goal is to be behind the baseball, shifting or not.

Participant

Free

Harrison is taking the next step?
    His ST OPS so far is .536.

Participant

Free

In only 8 plate appearances. If he hits a home run in his next at bat his line goes up to .250/.333/.670/1.003.

bccran

I try to balance the ST stats for a player with what happens everyday. Paying close attention to how they’re approaching each at bat, the contact rate and quality of contact, etc. It’s not a good sign if they’re making the same mistakes as they have in the past – poor pitch recognition, biting on the slider in the dirt and the high 4 seamer, etc.

I take Schildt’s remarks to be that Bader is working on those things and may be close to turning the corner. His K rate is 12.5%.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Dylan carlson 494 ops

Participant

Free

25 and Forsch –
    Have you seen that video of Bader when he was recently mic’ed up? Wish I knew how to post it on here. But if you Google “Bader mic’ed up” it takes you right to it. Very interesting insight. Gotta have some of that “Baderade” he mentions.

Participant

Free

Nothing insightful to me. It sounds like a mid-twenties guy interacting with his teammates. I would bet you could find quite a few guys just like him.

Participant

Free

We had a player like that on our college baseball team, Forsch. We called him “ditty bop”. The guy never passed up a mirror.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bccran,just get over your hate for bader. You never pass up a chance to dump all over him. Jealousy is a bad look.

Participant

Free

Jealous of Bader? You couldn’t be more off the mark, willie. That’s youngster stuff.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran, why does Bader’s hair bother you but Gant’s doesn’t? Gant looks like Chewbacca.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years