2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The other comment Williams made that was notable… I asked him if he was focused on the open question about his fourth option year and his reaction when the ruling was finally announced. He said that it doesn’t really matter. He still has to go out out and play and compete. He noted that this is his eighth season.

bccran
    Participant

Anytime someone says “it’s not my fault”, it’s a red flag.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My thinking as far as Williams is maybe it was a pretty even trade for Pham. We could hope for that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Anytime someone says “it’s not my fault”, it’s a red flag.

Then it is a good thing no one said that.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well Cardinals have set their rotation. Flaherty, waino, martinez, ponce, then gant. No real surprise. I’m not sold on ponce being a full time starter but hopefully kim will be back soon.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not set on Ponce de Leon, either, although I would say he has improved quite a bit over the last two years. I don’t even particularly like him for long relief. That said, I wish him well.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I’m not excited about Ponce de Leon as a starter. I would prefer Reyes. However, it’s only until Kim is ready to start.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Spring training lines:
    Carpenter: .030/.200/.061
    Sosa: .136/.259/.182

I am hoping they cut Carpenter sooner rather than later. Sosa should not make the team based on that performance.

A lot of angst about DeJong’s performance, but Arenado’s was nearly as bad:
    DeJong: .209/.292/.279
    Arenado: .222/.308/.289

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I know Arenado was nearly as bad but I am less concerned with him (at this time) due to his history. He has also started to show some life in his bat again.

Are you suggesting they should run Sosa through waivers? Due to no options left and 8 years since being signed, I think he would actually have the right to declare free agency. Someone else would have to clarify that point, though.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Yes, I think they need to run him through waivers. He hasn’t earned a spot on the club.

And I am assuming they are going to keep Carpenter until June, as they do with most players on contracts that they know they should cut after spring training.

I don’t think you can have two dead bats on the bench.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I definitely think they should keep rondon over sosa, rondon has earned a spot. Now if they got rid of carpenter, yes keep sosa if they can but I don’t see it happening.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I agree that 2 dead spots on the bench would be bad. I’m just not sure that Sosa would remain a dead bat. Carpenter, on the other hand, I believe is done. I would hate to lose Sosa unless the Cardinals see something I’m not.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Sunday morning:

Liberatore, Woodford, Hicks, Webb, Parsons pitching today. Wainwright will start Monday on similar workload to Flaherty (4/60-65). CMart not starting again in FL (but will pitch after Wainwright Monday.)

Will use DH today. Noticed that StL is one of few teams giving pitchers regular at-bats. Our pitchers want to hit even more.

May announce roster as soon as after today’s game. Players have been told.

Regulars are built up to nine innings. Today is a blow for some of them. Edman is in today. Tomorrow, the regulars will get a couple of at-bats before they leave for Cincy. Had 22 games/39 days to evaluate players. Bulk of roster decisions have been made.

Carp is playing 3B today and may get time later at 1B if he wants. Edman is 2B and leading off today and will be during the season. Carp knows his role will be come off the bench by process of elimination. He has done well in this role before. Had big hits off bench. Will take advantage of opportunities when presented.

Tyler is LF, Dylan in CF. RF will be more of an open space that they hope someone will take and run with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondon and Nogowski have both earned spots this spring but will probably be passed over for various reasons.

And I for one feel better about Ponce in the rotation that I do Gant. Not that Gant can’t do it. I just like him in the pen better.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well they have announced carpenter as being officially coming off the bench. So anyone with outside hope that he was going to be cut or something, sorry. So that’s one spot taken up. Of course if he just manages to get one hit he will probably be a starter.

14NyquisT
    Participant

1 player on each team who wowed at camp
    March 27th, 2021
    MLB.com

Cardinals: 1B/OF John Nogowski

I think that Nogo could really help this team.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I noticed that after Carpenter’s last PA today his BA only dropped by a point. That’s an improvement. Schildt will probably mention it post game as something to build on.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I wonder if there is another team in baseball that has a .028 hitter who made the roster?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt post-game Sunday:

Liberatore – Don’t want to make too much praise on young guy, but has good stuff, intangibles, carries himself beyond years. Faced good lineup today. Came right at them, HR to Zimmerman, then went right back at them. Really impressive again. Knew he was going to pitch today, and they decided they wanted Woodford to go long so made Liberatore the starter.

Hicks will be restricted but will not share details for competitive reasons. Will make team. 98 with sink, with slider working is nasty when on plate. Pleased where he is at. So proud of him. Rehab had a lot of unknowns.

On today’s game, Thomas did a lot well. Liberatore, Woody pitched well. A lot of quality ABs. Delete a little of the 8th inning.

Parsons will start in Memphis so gave him opportunity to come out and pitch again.

Roster will come out today sooner rather than later. 13 pitchers and 13 hitters. Tough competition, tough conversations. MLB players left off roster. Tough internal conversations, too. Some years, decisions get sorted out during camp, but this year there was competition to the end.

Nogowski elbowed his way onto the team. Took a lot of tough at-bats. Showed he could do it against a lot of different looks (LH, RH). Took good at-bats vs. anyone we would see. More than earned spot. Telling him is one of best parts of job, but with masks, couldn’t see full smile.

Carp is perfect example of selfless. Having a team is greater good mentality. Hard thing to be. Will come off bench, create opportunities. Here to win. Played well defensively today. Will win a lot by playing game the right way.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Team announcement:

The St. Louis Cardinals sent six players to the minors following today’s game, optioning pitcher Kodi Whitley and outfielder Lane Thomas and re-assigning catchers Tyler Heineman and Dennis Ortega and infielders Max Moroff and Josė Rondón.

The team also announced that it plans to place pitchers Dakota Hudson (right elbow), Kwang Hyun Kim (back) and Miles Mikolas (right shoulder), and outfielder Harrison Bader (right forearm) on the 10-day Injured List.

With today’s transactions, the team has indicated that it plans to include 1st baseman/outfielder John Nogowski, infielder Edmundo Sosa, outfielders Austin Dean and Justin Williams, and pitcher Jake Woodford on its 26-man Opening Day roster which will be officially submitted and announced the morning of Thursday, April 1.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a little surprised that Woodford beat out Whitley, but he has pitched really well this spring. I would have thought they would want to keep him as a starter in Memphis, but perhaps they will have him as a reliever only going forward.

bccran
    Participant

What do you make of Dean and Williams beating out Thomas, 25?

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I’m a big Thomas fan and I was rooting for him but Williams deserves it and Dean had a good spring.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think woodford is great, can start if need be and a good reliever, a little surprised thomas didn’t get one of the spots and I’m not a fan of either dean or williams but really not a nickels worth of difference though defensively they aren’t that good. Rondon deserved to stay over sosa but I guess they aren’t ready to give up on him, same as carpenter. So I guess schildt just basically lied when he said if you hit you will earn it. Rondon outhit both by a large amount.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years