2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tommy Edman Friday comments:

Took reps all over infield before Wong signing. Simplifies things not having to take balls from all angles and not worrying day to day. Looking forward to staying at one position. Was also fun moving around and was a way to get into lineup before.

Leadoff hitter characteristics. Getting on base, especially with great RBI guys in middle of lineup.

Did not walk much as a rookie. Pitchers tended to attack. Pitched to differently last year and did not adjust as well. Needs to attack pitches over middle but take walk when warranted.

Led off majority of time in HS, college and minors. Past success hasn’t carried over to majors yet. Hope to change that this season.

Should be seamless transition with DeJong at SS. Got in a lot of work together last summer in StL. Building on it this spring. Watched Wong, saw their chemistry up middle. Also took ground balls at 2B before some games and learned from Wong. Mostly played up the middle in HS and college, so familiar with it.

Pitchers will attack him with Arenado and Goldschmidt coming up and not want to put him on base. Take advantage of mistakes over plate but also take walks.

Asked about Carp’s comment about him playing second and Edman moving around. “I will play anywhere they ask me.”

Will start to use virtual reality more as a team. Will help the team’s plate discipline. He was moving around in his load last year. That caused his head to move and not able to see pitches as clearly. Working on that. Not specific to pinch hitting.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll say it again. I believe if carp is getting lots of at bats, we shouldn’t be expecting things to go well this year. Unless we end up having dh.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Sunday remarks:

Sunday pitchers after Flaherty: Gant, Cabrera, Reyes, Parsons, Jones, Gallegos.

Fir amount of regulars will start Sunday. Loosely scripted. Couple of at-bats tomorrow. If player asks for third, will try to accommodate.

DeJong asked to do a lot in 2019. Covid may have impacted 2020, but 11 doubleheaders may have been worse – for him and whole team. Asked the regulars to grind.

Leadoff. Hasn’t told team Sunday lineup. Did not mention Carlson as a possibility, but didn’t say not. Want someone to get on base and damage would be wonderful. Matchups a possibility, but likes stability in lineup. Edman can’t be disqualified from leadoff. Has done it for us. Little more effective vs. lefties. Improving in a lot of areas including discipline.

Hasn’t seen any evidence of 2021 new baseball. May be using it and he doesn’t know. Expects to use it at some point in spring training. Not as if new ball is labeled.

Talked to Davey Johnson. Will play nine innings unless something changes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As for Gorman, what I’ve seen of him he’s Russell Branyan.

Ouch. That comparison stings. I certainly have higher expectations for Gorman than that. Gorman has yet to play in a MLB game so we are all guessing but I could see him having a career similar to Matt Carpenter or Mike Moustakas. Maybe even better than those two. He probably will never match Carp’s walk rate but he certainly has the potential to match his slugging. I could see Gorman moving around the field defensively like Carp and Moose too.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Leadoff. Want someone to get on base and damage would be wonderful.”

Pretty much identifying the lack of “damage” at leadoff last season. Wongs OBP was .350, and slg% was .326.
    When your slg% is just .024 above Wainwrights career slg%, that’s NO damage at leadoff. Not the primary goal (OBP), but “would be wonderful” is appropriate.

“Matchups a possibility, but likes stability in the lineup.”

Most all prefer the stability of everyday roles, if someone will step forward at leadoff. If not, use the favorable matchup as a necessity.

“Edman can’t be disqualified from leadoff.”

Uncle Mike, you didn’t need to prep us about your nephew, we’ve been paying attention. Most would prefer runner(s) on when GoldenAdo cycles through the lineup, regardless of the baserunners name(s).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Sunday remarks:

See Sunday lineup on game thread.

Electronic strike zone was a one-day test sponsored by MLB to get feedback from players. Won’t see this in spring training. Will be used in Florida State League this season.

Doesn’t write lineup cards in triplicate any more. Writes it down and Marmol loads into system and they print off cards.

Arenado slides into fourth spot, but could slide into any spot.

This spring, players will be separated. Players can still pass balls and gloves to fans. Starting pitchers will be in dugout with Jack and will all leave together. Scheduled position player replacements will be in dugouts. Then third tier backups will be allowed in. Minor league staff can come into dugout then. Not everyone in camp gets to enter stadium. Handled like road spring training game. Because minor league staff are available, those not in game will have specialized group work during game. They can watch game on TV if they want, but can also leave when work is done. Up to them.

Will share pitchers for Monday sim game tomorrow morning.

Reentry to game. Prefer not to use it but likes to have it in the bag. Minor league coach Randy Niemann is undefeated in because always rolls innings before his team loses the lead…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Monday remarks:

Ponce will back up Wainwright Tuesday. Don’t know whether 7 or 9 innings yet.

Today’s schedule is fun. Not a sim game, but a straight up game of 4 1/2 innings. Field 1 at 11:00 a.m. Now throwing pitchers will have usual drills. Position players in game yesterday get blow. 6 players not in game will get at-bats. Other position players who did not play yesterday will participate.

Miller and Hicks to throw live BP after the game. First time. Same position players in game yesterday will bat against them. Spring progression is BP, live BP then games.

Reyes in control of all pitches yesterday. Elite skill set plays as starter or reliever. But innings could lead to high leverage reliever, w/o specific role.

Hicks checked off a lot of boxes in rehab process. At tail end of process. Long journey. First time to face live hitters in almost two years. He is in good shape to make club, but there are 29 days left in camp.

Participant

Free

“Ouch. That comparison stings”

I could be totally wrong, have been before. But when I watch his swing, paired with 35% K rate at low minors levels, and the big time moon shot power. I just think Branyan.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Tuesday comments:

Wainwright’s leadership in 2020 was huge factor on and off field. Fastball has increased in velo last few years. Signature curve, but also added what he calls “the dominator” a change up.

Yesterday, they had individualized instruction in team setting. Oviedo had live fastball, improved in controlling counts. Warner and Kruczynski effective. Thompson spun ball well, had hop on fastball.

DeJong, Edman, Carlson, Bader took majority of at-bats, 3-4 each. Intersquad created situations for catchers in running game. Willie was in OF and Stubby in IF to “share same brain” with players.

Miller, Hicks threw first live BP. Looked really good. Monumental step in long rehab process for Jordan. Smile at end. Proud of him. Will likely next throw in B or sim game before a stadium game.

Was premature in saying that Mikolas would throw in a sim game. Has a side coming up this weekend. Being cautious in raising his intensity. His procedure was not as invasive as Jordan’s but was more recent. Requires monitoring.

Participant

Brian, I truly appreciate these condensed versions of Shildt’s comments. They help us guys no where near Florida feel a lot closer to what is happening in Jupiter. I think that I’m speaking for a host of others.

Participant

Free

I agree Ny

Participant

Paid - Annual

As each day goes by I am starting to feel more queasy about Mikolas. I know the Cardinals say they aren’t worried yet but we don’t have a good history with being confident about injuries.

Participant

Free

Ditto that, 14. Much appreciated, Brian.

Participant

Free

I was originally thinking there was no way Mikolas would be ready for the season. Then it sounded like he was ready. Now, I am back to the thinking that he won’t be starting the season in the rotation. I am glad we have Reyes, Gant and Oviedo who could fill his spot, assuming CMart gets the other starters spot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Happy to share the info. Glad you find it useful.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Wednesday comments pregame:

KK’s delivery creates deception. Also has multiple pitches he can throw at any time. Changes speeds to keep hitters guessing. It is a game of adjustments. As hitters see him more often, he will adjust to them.

Waino and KK are birds of a feather. Have similar baseball IQs. Both pitchmakers.

Was asked if alternate camp should be permanent. Already have instructional league, AFL, extended spring training – a lot of vehicles for developmental, hands on teaching. It is important at the higher levels for players to play. Teaching still going on during season.

Gorman/Liberatore not resting on perceived status. Focused on getting to MLB soon.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Thursday comments:

CMart was fantastic close to shutdown. Was built up to 79 pitches in winter ball, but no need to push. He is needed all season so this will be a normal spring start. Not saying it is absolute he is in rotation, but he is doing everything he can. Martinez is a WYSIWYG guy. Infectious, big personality guy. What we see is not absolute as he has some guile. The not engaged Carlos is in the rear view mirror. Was engaged and responsible last year in his own style. Now in good spot in every area.

Fans in stands. We are working with our fan base. They are the only reason we have jobs. Special magic. Great to have fans back to interact with.

Mikolas still scheduled to throw BP this weekend. Catches have been positive.

KK recovered fine. Still has to play catch today. Might have felt too good yesterday. Any suggestion that he did not feel well yesterday is erroneous.

Alt site. Has total confidence in player development to do the right thing. Being briefed on plans but not his place to discuss.

Corner guys keeping together. Nolan wants to play more back to back. Kept middle guys together including center field. OF competition have to honor. Need to give others opportunities.

Pleased that MLB is adding Lou Gehrig ALS Day on June 2. Excited for Piscottys. Hats off to MLB.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fans in stands. We are working with our fan base. They are the only reason we have jobs.

I am glad Shildt said this.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI. Appears the DH and Expanded Playoffs are gone for 2021.

https://sports.yahoo.com/universal-dh-and-expanded-mlb-postseason-reportedly-wont-happen-in-2021-183107631.html

r/Esteemed Rat

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I had read elsewhere (sorry I don’t have a link) that KK was down 2 mph on his FB and that he was going to work on that. But also that he is working on a slower curve a la Wainright and that the one that made Villar look bad was 67mph. Can anyone tell me if Carpenter has leveled his swing at all? Missing FSMW from Hulu.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Friday remarks:

Flaherty’s B game outing was very favorable. Everything a lot crisper. Soft contact. 3 and 4-5 hoppers. Controlled counts better. Encouraged by outing. Was three innings, but one inning was rolled. Wanted up and downs. Threw total of 50 pitches.

Oviedo threw two innings. Fastball had a lot of life. Good carry and ride. Slider good. Working a starters plan. Three innings next time out. Tools to help us this year.

Sosa moved between 2B and 3B. Had a three-run HR in 4-1 win. From 2B, made running play that ended with Astros runner being thrown out at home. (One of two runners erased at home today.)

For tonight, happy that Nats are playing many MLB starters. Looking for efficiency, quick counts from Gant.

Thompson throwing two innings. Great opportunity for him. Control emotions, work plate and he will be fine. Nine inning game.

Houston had a couple of quarantine cases. Mo made aware last night. MLB improved content tracing made it able to nail down. Comfortable and confident. Houston was diligent.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really enjoyed this article. I hope Delvin has a great 2021.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Monday comments:

Balancing act on playing time will continue for awhile. 3 different times for camp reduction coming. Creates balance along with opportunity. Regulars player longer yesterday after day off.

B Game planned Wednesday. Possibility that Gorman could play 2B. He is ready for it but opportunities have not been there yet. Will make up B Game lineups after today’s game. He will get in there, but there is no rush. May play 3B tomorrow.

9 innings today. Not sure if any 7 inning games ahead.

On Carpenter, 12 years in big leagues gives him a point of reference. He knows what he needs to do and how to do it. Only 13 PAs so far. Getting reacclimated to 2B. He will be fine with the bell rings. 18 games remaining. Want to see any player rewarded for efforts.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Decent summary thus far from VEB.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years