2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And that translates into what at the big league level? Thats minor leagues.

Again, nothing should convince anyone that either is going to be a star. Perhaps very good big league players is at this point the best way to put it. But stardom? No, sorry.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Wednesday Zoom:

PFP championship today. Wouldn’t say who his draft picks will be. Johan Quezada is a coordinated, athletic guy despite 6-foot-9 height. Not sure everyone in camp has seen him so he might be a sleeper pick.

PFP 2020 championship (led by Brebbia) was little engine that could. Used as example throughout camp as group came together.

Catchers blocking tournament had happened in cages before and now put on schedule. Started with Dave Ricketts 33 years ago. A reason why StL catching position has been so competitive for so long. Yadi took Ricketts’ program and works with a couple of catching groups early each morning.

Missing franchise icons not being in camp. Shildt discussed this with Mike Shannon last night. Something is missing in camp for 1st time in his 18 years in the org. Protection of our institutional knowledge. Loss of Lou, Gibson and Red still stings. Only so many spots based on COVID tiers to bring in people this spring. Some team full time staff could not come. Hope to get Ozzie, Izzy, Carp, Ludwick, Sutter, Edmonds involved via Zoom or at Busch later in season. They come in and work.

Hicks, Miller, KK, Miles threw sides yesterday. Had good throws. Will check on how they feel today.

Knows who Sunday starter will be, but need to talk with him first. Will not be huge surprise.

Cards hope Sunday game can be nine innings, but need to talk with Nats and will do so in the next day or two.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again, nothing should convince anyone that either is going to be a star. Perhaps very good big league players is at this point the best way to put it. But stardom? No, sorry.

Nothing may convince you, but many others are convinced. You wouldn’t be convinced unless he was putting up Stan Musial numbers in an era when Stan Musial himself would strike out 100-150 times a year.

Fwiw I think Carlson will be a bit like Matt Carpenter…solid batting average, good on base skills, growing power, decent defense. That’s a 3-4 WAR player with peaks of 5+, or a guy who will make some all star teams and get MVP votes in his best seasons. I’ll leave that up to you as to whether you think that’s a star or just a very good player.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When Carlson and Gorman become stars I will gladly admit it. But until then I dont see anything to make me believe that is going to happen. Then again, Pujols and Tom Brady were, what, 300th round draft picks, or something like that.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Will Sunday’s game be on television or not?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Dan McLaughlin mentioned during his Wednesday’s with Walton show that the game would be televised.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is hard to say who will be a star and who won’t, not to mention the fact that people define what a star is differently. Two comparisons for Carlson I have seen recently are Ray Lankford and JD Drew. I don’t know if either would be considered a star but both were good players. I would say Lankford was even more than good. The Cardinals would probably be happy if Carlson has as good of a career as Ray did.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson had one great year split between levels in the minors. Other than that he was at best average, probably below for the minors. Gorman I don’t know as much about but we will see. If carlson ends up as good as lankford, it will be fine but he’s not there yet.

Participant

Free

Willie –
    Right now Carlson is ranked the 13th best prospect in all the the minor leagues.
    He’s been young for each level coming up, so I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on his stats. Look at his size, his balance, his plate disciple, the way he hits to all fields, his power, etc. That should give you some comfort in his future.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hope to get Ozzie, Izzy, Carp, Ludwick, Sutter, Edmonds involved via Zoom or at Busch later in season. They come in and work.

Shildt hopes Ludwick, among others, can come in and work at some point. I guess he didn’t get the memo. Fired guys don’t come in and work.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Charlie Tilson is looking for a job. He can play all 3 OF positions and hit .288 in AAA two years ago.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Thursday remarks:

Flaherty to start Sunday and regular season opener in Cincinnati. He is in good place and excited about it. Will throw two innings, 30-ish pitches Sunday.

Flaherty’s body of work indicates he deserves it. In 2020, was compromised almost as much as any pitcher with starts and stops. Appreciate how he handed and grew from it. Tough to be building up during season.

Jack is an impressive guy. Cares a lot about people and causes. Continues to grow into the young man he is becoming. Sky is the limit. Getting more confidence in his own skin.

Mokolas has been very positive in throwing multiple pens to date. Likely he is excited about first pitching to live batters today.

Wainwright was arguably (or may not arguably) their best pitcher in 2020. It would be a great opportunity and tribute if he could start the home opener. But have to determine the best rotation to win all year and hope the two come together.

On pitchers asking for specific schedules, with 32 in camp, can’t accommodate every one. Miles is scheduled to pitch on the 1st in a B game (open day on schedule). Just fell out that way. Maddux lines up schedule. The focus is how they are getting in their needed work. The schedule follows from that.

No hitters asking for extra work yet. They already have build up plans. Fluid to handle requests for more/less at-bats when they come.

Liberatore is an exciting guy. Excited to see him pitch.

Has everyday outfielder expectations, but other guys will be trying to get into the mix and make the club. Can’t answer if camp will lead to three starters. He is more of a matchup guy than a platoon guy. Encouraging hitters to not be “splitty” and be consistent (against LHP and RHP). Confident will get consistent production from the outfield.

Participant

Free

“When Carlson and Gorman become stars I will gladly admit it. But until then I dont see anything to make me believe that is going to happen”

I saw scotter say it and I’ve thought it since I first saw Carlson in the minors. To me he’s JD Drew. I say that with lots of love too. When I had to create a login for something my sophomore year of high-school I created, my now often still used Cards667, for my 2 favorite players at the time in Rick Ankiel and JD Drew. I still say JD Drew is one of the most underrated careers I’ve seen. I think it’s partially because of the way people viewed him when not signing with Philadelphia and how highly touted he was and everyone expecting a star. I think injuries and it’s also because he was on a team that featured Edmonds and Pujols and later in his Cardinal career Rolen and Renteria had developed into quite the hitter. But, with that said Drew’s first full season was 1999 at age 23 and had a 91 OPS+. From age 24-27 (00-03) as a Cardinal he was 129 OPS+. His post Cardinal career is where he definitely became overlooked in my opinion. You can’t argue with a trade that brought in Wainwright and Atlanta only getting 1 year of Drew, all be it was the best of his career with 31 HR and 157 OPS+, from age 28-33 (04-09) Drew was a 134 OPS+ and had a respectable age 34 season too in 2010.
    All that said, if Carlson is Drew I don’t think he’s a bust, no matter how touted he is right now, I just hope for health and consistency out of Carlson and I think he will develop into a fine hitter.

As for Gorman, what I’ve seen of him he’s Russell Branyan.

Participant

Free

“Charlie Tilson is looking for a job. He can play all 3 OF positions and hit .288 in AAA two years ago.”

How are his legs though? I always liked him in the minors in STL. Hated to see him traded, even though I didn’t think he was an every day player, but glad when he got a shot, then only to blow out his leg in his very first MLB game. I don’t think his legs have ever been the same. But if they need another AAA OF depth piece I think he’s a good option.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well bccran, if carlson is the 13 highest rated prospect in mlb, that doesn’t bode well for mlb in my opinion. Yea I know he has a great swing, and a lot of potential. But a lot of guys have had that. Hopefully he does well, I’m just not ready to pencil him into the hall just yet.

Participant

Free

No one is penciling him into the Hall, Willie. We are saying, however, that he will probably be a consistently good major league player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I think Mo did Carlson a major disservice when he compared him to Albert a winter ago. And it was done on camera so it could not have been misconstrued. That was really unfair to do to any 21-year-old still trying to make his way.

Participant

Free

You’re right, Brian, and I hope it didn’t put any pressure on the kid. I think Mo was just trying to show Carlson that the Cardinals have great hope for him and great confidence in him. Sometimes Mo is too liberal with his praise for individuals and the team. He means well but should think before he speaks sometimes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Friday remarks:

Arenado will start Sunday. Sat down with him and mapped out first week of games. Everything as advertised.

On Saturday, position players will have a workout. (Pitchers may not, but he hasn’t told them yet, so couldn’t tell us.)

Taking wholistic approach to OF. Bat dictates playing time but won a lot of games last two years because of defense. Three guys (TO, HB, DC) plus others yet to get opportunities are pretty good defensively.

Measure offense this spring on timing and making adjustments. Looking for good at-bats, seeing ball well, balls in strike zone. Timing can take a while for some. They are process oriented in results-oriented world.

Sosa has already made the MLB step. Ready for MLB, but due to depth, not room until now. Has skill set to be MLB player. Will not get opportunity in spring at 2B, SS, 3B. Even with Edman and DeJong to play SS, always nice to have backup SS, but roster doesn’t always allow them to cover all needs.

No decision on Sunday 7 or 9 innings. Plans to reach out to Davey Martinez.

Knows who else will pitch Sunday after Flaherty. Will tell us tomorrow (Saturday).

On whether DeJong’s positioning will change with Arenado at 3B. Won’t have to move Paul a ton, but aware that Arenado can cover more ground. Expect the two of them to communicate in game.

Hard to evaluate Carpenter’s offense this early. Everyone is working on something. In good place in BP. Feels good. Building on positive offseason.

Bader was a little splitty last year. About consistency vs. RHP. Needs to be ready to hit more with pitches are in zone so numbers not so one-sided.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Sosa comments were unexpected. Is this partially due to Sosa’s familiarity in the org and a lack of with Rondon and Moroff?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps. Probably more importantly, remember that Shildt is answering questions, not talking off the top of his head. The question was specifically about Sosa. He probably would have said nice things about anyone he was asked about.

Participant

Free

Good comment about Mo’s comments regarding Carlson, Brian. As I recall, he did somewhat the same thing with Oscar Taveras.
    The fans started expecting an annual All Star performance.
    OT was going to be the immediate savior. Put a lot of pressure on him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He probably would have said nice things about anyone he was asked about.

That’s been the MO with these talks so far. Nobody struggling. We should get a more realistic picture of how guys are doing starting Sunday.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Matt Carpenter Friday comments:

Arenado trade. My reaction was excitement. Team immediately got better. They are friends and were texting even before it happened.

Like every spring, wants to play wherever team needs me.

Goold asked about adjustment to being a part-time player. Carpenter replied that it is not established that he is a part-timer. Mentality in camp is to win a job. Almost same exact situation as 2012/2013. Ended up taking most ABs at 2B, but played all over. This year could be similar or not. A lot can happen over 162 games. When it happens, I will be ready to go.

If I hit like I know I am capable, I am going to help this team win games, plain and simple. Where and how will work itself out.

Worked in offseason on trying to get bat speed back to where it was. Produce consistent line drives. Weight training and Blast Motion. The latter goes on end of bat and tracks speed. Have a couple of seasons of data so could see progress.

Does have batting gloves. Might see then, especially on cold days.

Last season not good representation for anybody. Felt he swung the bat well in the spring, pre and post Covid, but the numbers did not show it.

Traits of leadoff hitter is to set tone for offense by getting on base for middle of lineup.

Expect worst and hope for best regarding DH. Assuming will be playing without it. Can’t plan for it, but would welcome it with open arms.

No OF glove. No need for it. If he and Tommy are playing well, he could play 2B and Tommy could move around in infield or OF. Also plenty of good outfielders. Depth will help them win.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How professional was that! My pick to click!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years