2021 Rule 5 draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rule 5 draft

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

Where did you see that they let Plummer go? I can’t find anything.

Edit:. I just saw Brian’s article in this thread

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If Plummer is not in the Cardinals organization in 2022, I might join those who are saying it’s time to fire the entire front office. There’s no reason that I can see to just let him walk away when he had an outstanding season. He was worth having a 40 man roster spot for at least 1 year just to see if he could repeat his 2021.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Just to clarify they have not let Plummer go yet.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Gorman should DH against RH pitching and Yepez against LH pitching.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

UncleD, please explain why you say that. The eligible minor leaguers became free agents yesterday. I confirmed that Plummer is among them before I posted my article this morning.

As I wrote, that does not preclude the sides from coming to terms later, but he is a free agent now. Maybe another club will find 40-man room for him, in which case he should jump at it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch, that is because we had the news hours before anyone else! 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If I was the Cardinals, I would say the same thing. But the reality is that since they didn’t offer him a 40-man spot, Plummer is surely going to look elsewhere. He would be crazy not to. It would only take one other team to act.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sad to see Ortega go. The acquisition of Sanchez limited his potential playing time in 2021. Also would have liked to see Santos brought back. He was a solid workhorse for an organization that didn’t have much pitching depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We don’t know which free agents (if any) the Cardinals might be trying to get back. If they do want someone, one might guess they tried already and failed for guys who reached free agency. If you can, you’d prefer to lock them up before they can test the market.

Some players, after being stuck in one organization for seven years (or more) may want to try elsewhere. As with all free agents, both sides have to want it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I’m fine with those guys moving on. You have to chase that dream and sometimes a change of scenery can make it happen.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good job with the predictions Brian.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually had this same thought. The CBA fiasco might have a lot of unintended consequences.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Leonardo Taveras should be protected at the Memphis level. He has too good an arm to lose forever. He had a bad 2021, but reminds me a lot of Pacheco.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27, I am thinking Taveras is the pitching prospect profile the org is moving away from.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I beg to differ with Mr. Jones as I do not see what the potential MLB lockout has to do with Rule 5 protection. I know when I made my predictions, it did not affect my thinking one iota.

In fact, I could build a case for the opposite. If the lockout continues and the season is shorter, the Rule 5 players would have a shorter time to have to stay on an MLB roster. So teams could be MORE inclined to take risks by picking players in the Rule 5, even if the actual draft date is later than usual.

I wonder if folks who missed out on their predictions are trying to keep the door open. Again, I think the reasons why guys like Perez and Baker were not protected have nothing to do with a lockout. 😉

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just think Taveras is very similar to Pacheco. The major difference was that Pacheco improved his control this year, while Taveras did not. They also have comparable “stuff” with mid to upper heat, and a nice breaking ball. I would not like to lose him for nothing in return.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, the way I interpreted Jones’ comments was that the CBA may not be ratified until March then all of a sudden each organization has just a couple of weeks to scramble and get everything done before March 31, therefore, some players may slip through the cracks. I don’t think it had anything to do with a shorter season. At least that is my interpretation. In that scenario would they even have a Rule 5 draft in March? Nobody really knows.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not that I would want to lose Taveras, but it would be interesting to see him on an MLB roster and facing MLB hitters with an MLB strike zone next year. Out of 30 orgs, someone might do it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My inferences from Jones’ comments are that because of the labor uncertainty, StL may have left guys unprotected that they wouldn’t have otherwise. Also, other teams could overlook eligible players in a rushed draft. I don’t buy either.

And it is not like teams would get a second chance to add players to the 40-man roster later. I believe they protected the guys they wanted to protect, irrespective of the calendar and potential lockout.

I went further to say that IF the season was delayed, it could make R5 guys MORE desirable. In that scenario, the careful teams would protect MORE guys, not fewer. That was not a Jones point, but was mine, providing more explanation why I disagree.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be interested in what prospects didn’t get protected, and possibly the Cards might pick up. I believe Peralta from the Brewers was left unprotected while at the AA level and obviously didn’t get drafted a few years ago.
    Also, did Plummer land on anyones 40 man roster?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Brian that the Cardinals protected the players they wanted to protect. There’s less reason to keep players around who have several other players ahead of them at the minor league level as well as at the MLB level. And they need roster space for a potential free agent, or two.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Brian will put an article together with possible Rule 5 pickups for our team. I’m assuming relief pitchers would top the list, as they are the easiest to keep all season. Although our situation as a playoff contender make it more difficult for us. But with 36 players currently on our 40 man roster, and a lockout looming, it seems possible to pick up a pitcher.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another Rule 5 possible is Joey Murray. He is of high spin variety, and throws strikes.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have read several rule 5 eligible articles, and they seem to mention a lot of prospects who haven’t played in AA, or just got a taste of it. I wouldn’t want any part of them, as likely a contending team couldn’t keep them for a whole year.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.