2021 Rule 5 draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rule 5 draft

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    UncleDenny
    Participant

Plummer has to be protected or he will be a free agent (drafted and signed in 2015). In addition to him I think Pacheco, Donovan, Baker, and Perez are good possibilities to be protected.

bccran
    Participant

Plummer’s the guy other teams might want to give a shot to.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Coincidentally, just this morning, Plummer was named our system-wide Comeback Player of the Year.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Brian,

Do you send a physical award to the players like an engraved plaque or framed certificate that can go on the wall?

The younger guys in particular would probably think that was cool.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Haven’t done that before, but it is a good idea. The Latin kids often ask me for action photographs to send home to family.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would protect Plummer because he seems like perfect trade bait. His stock may never be higher than it is right now. The OF in St. Louis seems to be full so they should trade him like they did with Mercado and Arozarena.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It would be interesting to poll our regulars to get their views on keeping Plummer (or not) up front so maybe we can cut down on the “I told you so’s” later.

Personally, I would not be in a hurry to let him go.

It isn’t like the Cards have a wealth of outfielders close to MLB. Nootbaar may stick as the fourth, but where’s the depth? They tried Williams, Dean, Thomas, Hurst, etc. ahead of Nootbaar and none of them did much. The depth story would change if they sign a veteran free agent outfielder who can thump RHPs, but that hasn’t been their MO.

P.S. Before you hit me with Burleson, look deeply at his Triple-A numbers. He clearly needs more time. I am also not talking about utility guys who can cover a corner in a pinch. I mean a real outfielder who ideally can play any of the three positions and do a credible job defensively in the big leagues playing every day if necessary.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we were to lose Plummer as a 7 year milb free agent, I would probably add him. Then outright or trade Williams.

bccran
    Participant

Burleson is a another guy who was rushed through the system in an abnormal way. He’s was drafted in the second round in 2019, but didn’t get to play in 2020 for obvious reasons. In 2021, he started at A+ Peoria, but after only 11 games he was promoted to Springfield. After 63 games at Springfield, he was promoted to Memphis. So after only 74 professional games, he found himself at AAA, a step away from the big leagues. I wouldn’t suggest that he could come out of ST on the big club, but after several months at Memphis, he could very well prove that he’s ready. He had 22 home runs in 2021, showing more power than he had shown in college at ECU. I’m rooting for him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be hesitant to move Plummer, if only because his OBP skill probably will translate to the bigs if nothing else. He does K a good bit. He is Nootbar insurance, IMO.

Burleson seems like he probably ends up a DH. He could be good, though.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For me trading Plummer depends entirely on what we could get for him. If somebody wants to offer a premium pitching prospect, I’m all ears. I’d be okay with Dean as a fifth outfielder. I think he’ll hit if given enough AB’s. From the way Burleson has been moving through the system, it’s a pretty safe bet that he’ll be ready for some Major League AB’s during the 2022 season.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’m 100% keeping Plummer. Put Williams in a the package with DeJong and let someone else take a chance on him. AAA OF of Burleson, Plummer, Capel and Dean as the 4th/DH. Burleson has the highest ceiling, but further away. Plummer and Capel could become the 4th OF if needed behind Nootbaar. Yepez could get some LF time too.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Based on Plummer’s OBP, I don’t want to lose him. If it was my choice, it would take a pretty amazing offer to trade him and I would put him on the 40-man roster so he doesn’t become a free agent. According to MLB.com, he profiles best in CF. That could make Bader a trade chip before he becomes expensive. Between Plummer and Donovan I hope the Cardinals can find a leadoff hitter.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Plummer-you have to protect after this year’s performance
    Robertson- you either protect or trade, because he is major league ready even if he doesn’t have a high ceiling.
    Baker – I would leave exposed or trade due to lack of OBP skills and him only having two games at AAA

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would hang on to Plummer. His power has surpassed Capel’s, and his success seems to have vaulted him. With his power emerging, he could be more Ray Lankford than John Jay. Watch his and Ray’s compact strokes. Nick is a little more compact in his stance, but through the zone they seem very similar both pulling and driving the ball to left center.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this notion that a player would have developed differently if he had stayed in a organization vs not is basic rubbish. The Cardinals don’t have any more magic with players than other teams. Having a great offensive year in A ball means nothing. People get too hung up on minor league numbers especially the low levels. Even higher level numbers can mislead. I don’t remember the name but there was this player that always raked in the minors for the cards back quite a few years ago. He got some chances not a lot with big club but didn’t do great in short time. He ended up with Houston I believe and they gave him a full shot but he never materialized as anything even average in the bigs so you have to be mindful of numbers sometimes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree 1982. My problem is with those who cannot distinguish between things that have a very low chance of happening from those with a very high chance. No one knows for SURE, but that doesn’t mean that just because the chance is non-zero it should be presented as likely.

bccran
    Participant

Willie –

The points people were making –

1.) Being a Monday morning quarterback doesn’t display knowledge or wisdom.

2.) Posters were simply wondering if he would have been better off coming through the minors at a normal developmental pace. Regardless of what organization he played for.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The combination of no 2020 MiLB and the elimination of a lot of short season rosters caused a lot of guys to have an unusual progression from 2019 to 2021. I am not sure what a ‘usual’ progression will even look like going forward. The new CBA might have a ripple effect as well to further stir things up again next season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not saying Cordoba would have developed differently in the Cardinals system but at least he would have had the chance to develop at a more reasonable pace. Being rushed to the majors didn’t do his career any good except accumulate a little service time. As I said, the Padres did him a disservice.

As for Plummer, I am skeptical of players who do absolutely nothing for five years then have a good year. Could he just be a late bloomer? Yes he could be or maybe 2021 was an outlier and he will regress back to the norm, which means his value is currently as high as it will ever be. I would at least listen to what other teams would offer. Delvin Perez might be in the same boat.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i dont lose Plummer..not to Rule V

A Trade? sure…unless it is just a trade to not have to put him on the 40 for a guy not needed to be protected…i’d rather keep the good thing going than starting all over with a new player in the system

as part of a trade for an important MLBer or a prime time prospect, sure…he can be moved

He’s got momentum and confidence right now, often that is what guys need as they approach MLB and make the next step.

He could flop and fall next year…so what? then you remove him from the 40man and take your chances on keeping him or him leaving.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Plummer getting away from Albert and the wonks for a year gave his head a chance to clear.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Gscott, the only reservation I have about trading Plummer now, at his “high” is that he becomes another Arozarena for another club. If he regresses only a little from his 2021 year, he is still an outstanding player. The Cardinals don’t have very many players capable of playing CF everyday and putting up those kind of numbers. I’m willing to let him either repeat 2021 or flop….. Unless we can get a very good return for him. For me, it would be trading him and maybe Reyes for a proven #2 SP with a few more years of control.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Point on Plummer is he is eligible for FREE AGENCY. Wouldn’t be ours to trade unless either protected on 40 man or re-signed to minors contract.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Plummer took the 2020 season cancellation to totally rework his swing which is what he attributed his breakout to. I would protect him and at least see if he sustains it another year before moving on. I would trade the out-of-options Justin Williams first.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.