2021 Rule 5 draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rule 5 draft

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not tongue in cheek. Yes there are other relevant stats but some things require a minimal level. I bet you would be hard pressed tô find a position limited player (other than a catcher) who hit .248 or less in AA and stuck all year as a rule 5 selection..

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Best I can tell there hás only been one 1B in the last 25 years that was selected in the rule 5 draft and stayed in the majors all year. If one wants tô believe that Baker is the 2nd best 1B in all of baseball in the last 25 years tô be left off of a 40 man roster I guess it is possible. It should be noted he wasnt even selected tô play in the AFL.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baker hits AA lefties pretty good. That’s about all we can say. Maybe he rakes in Memphis and we will have something to protect.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

It should be noted he wasnt even selected tô play in the AFL.

That isn’t saying much of anything considering the guys sent instead were Gorman, Donovan, Nootbaar and Yepez, three of whom were already on the 40-man and all were either in MLB or on the cusp. The 2021 AFL hitting group was the best I can recall in my two decades of covering the Cardinals in the league.

There may be other reasons to discount Baker coming off his Double-A season, but that isn’t one.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I generally figure a baseball player will lose 40-60 points of OBP in the jump from AAA to MLB. Baker simply does not have the on base skills to be a MLB player IMO.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My theory is that a rebuilding team could tank a chance on him and store him on their roster for a year since they aren’t going to win anyway. He has intriguing power. Could be Luke Voit 2.0.

Anyway, it is a moot point for this year. I hope he puts up big numbers for Memphis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB Pipeline ranks Baker the no. 9 1B prospect in the game. Yepez is 5th.

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years