2021 Lineup thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Lineup thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

1. Wainwright

2. ??

bccran
    Participant

I believe the point is, if you’re paying the wages of 7 or 8 proven major league starters along with Goldy and Arenado, where’s the money going to come from for a new proven major league shortstop, adding experienced depth at shortstop and catcher, etc.?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baders ops+ vs RHP’s:

2017: 31 (71 PA’s)
    2018: 91 (289 PA)
    2019: 87 (300 PA)
    2020: 76 (97 PA)
    2021: 130 (176 PA)

Definitely worth monitoring going forward. SSS or developing trend? Time will tell.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidts ops+ the last 10 seasons vs LHP’s

Sorted 2012 descending:

bccran
    Participant

Not trying to be smart, but what’s OPS+?
    An advanced measurement of some kind?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

OPS+ is figured using On Base Percentage and Slugging Percentage for an individual and comparing them to the league average for each measurement. A 100 OPS+ is league average. Anything over 100 is above league average and anything under 100 is below league average. Basically, it is saying how well a player is getting on base and/or hitting for power as compared to the league average.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong quotes from the P-D article on his hitting troubles:

I need to get back to staying out over the plate, hitting through the middle of the field, using the whole field. …. If I don’t do it, it gets exposed.

I’ve been more rotational and around the ball versus through the ball and out in front

The horizontal-ness of my bat doesn’t allow me to square fastballs up, like I used to

If the bat is going more horizontal, then my body is going to be more horizontal, too. But if my bat stays more vertical, my body stays more vertical and it allows my hands to be more free

I’ve just got to work to be in the right head space to do it

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For his sake, he needs to get out of here. Seriously. Its probably too late though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please define “here”. To me, it is “his head”, not where his body is located at the time.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The glossary at Baseball Reference or Fangraphs is a very useful tool to understand the metrics they use, and how they calculate it.

Or even google it. It’s surprising how much is publicly available.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d prefer not giving my personal description. The sites description is perfect and mine wouldn’t be.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me, it is “his head”, not where his body is located at the time

I agree, so what happened to his head? My thought is that where his body has been located the last several years has something to do with that. If you are suffering from sunburn the first thing you have to do is get out of the sun.

bccran
    Participant

What DeJong needs is a new hitting coach. Whether it’s here or someplace else. IMHO worrying about too many “measurements” has messed his head up.

Thank you for the definition of OPS+, Forsch. I like OPS, but have never taken it to league average.

I guess no measurement is really exact.
    For instance OPS. What about a guy who doesn’t walk much and doesn’t hit for power, but is flat out clutch. Has a very high average with runners in scoring position. I know Tommy Herr is an extreme example, but he drives in 110 runs with an OPS under .800. Hit over .300 and only struck out 8% of the time. Several years later, he drove in 83 with an OPS of .677. I simply like a guy who puts a ball in play and makes things happen. More action. Personal taste.

As far as OPS+, if it’s specifically by the position played, I would find it interesting. Not all positions are the same.
    Maybe it’s old fashioned, but I look to the up the middle guys as table setters and the corner guys to proved the punch. So if OPS+ compares a hitter with league average of other hitters who play the same position, I would find it really interesting. Maybe it already does.

As far as looking up advanced metrics/analytics/etc? I don’t have a desire for that. We all have our styles. I like PA/H/R/2B/3B/HR/RBI/TB/SB. Tells me a lot about a player. At least it always has. That’s not to put you down at all, jj.
    I respect your more sophisticated approach. It’s just not for everybody. I don’t believe either style is right or wrong.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thats ok, im not selling anything, just provided a direct route for your question. For anyone interested, thats where i started, the glossary, but the willingness has to come from the individual.

bccran
    Participant

jj –
    I’m really interested in OPS+. Can you apply it on a position to position basis?
    Comparing players to players at the same position? Thanks.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

OPS+ is a Baseball Reference metric. Did you find the BR glossary?

It’s at the bottom of the home page listed as “batting glossary”, in the “About Baseball Reference” category.

If you’ll read the adjusted ops+ section, the answer to your question should be obvious. If not, we can discuss it further.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish there was a stat like OPS+ but it only included lineup regulars and excluded bench players and fill in guys. Most of your everyday starters should be around or above league average, but what about compared to everyone else’s everyday starters.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s why the players are sub-divided as qualifiers and non-qualifiers. The regulars are qualifiers.

bccran
    Participant

I’ve looked it up, jj. And it says it’s not adjusted for field position. That’s why I asked for your help. I don’t know how to read that.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You got it right, well done. Ops+ is the entire league.

War does the positional adjustment, giving credit for harder D positions, and also includes playing time.

For offense like ops+, maybe you should use batting splits to seperate the positions. At the bottom of the ops+ column it shows LG avg for each position selected.

Its a little bit of work sorting by each position but if thats what you’re looking for, try using batting splits from the league leaders page.

bccran
    Participant

If OPS+ is inclusive of outstanding defensive (but lite hitting) shortstops all the way to the Mike Trouts of the league I won’t be able to use it. Even if it’s an average of all players. Isn’t there a stat
    that measures the comparative offensive prowess at each position without doing much of the research and math yourself?
    Maybe just checking the lists that rank MLB players at each position will suffice, although it also includes defense. Here’s one list I just looked up, that lists the top 10 MLB players at each position –

C – no Cardinals
    1B – Goldschmidt #2
    2B – no Cardinals
    SS – no Cardinals
    3B – Arenado #3
    LF – no Cardinals
    CF – no Cardinals
    RF – no Cardinals

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I’ve looked it up, jj. And it says it’s not adjusted for field position.

You can filter to just look at center fielders (for example), then sort in descending order by OPS+

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Liberatore, Oviedo, Thompson, and Rondon
    are all good prospects. They’ll back up an experienced rotation of Flaherty, Hudson, Kim, Mikolas, and Reyes next season.
    Should be fine.

So, we needed a veteran backup catcher for Yadi. We needed a veteran backup outfielder.

But it’s okay to have rookie backup pitchers? When Hudson, Mikolas and Reyes all have extensive injury histories (and Flaherty has missed two months)? When Reyes has absurd walk rates? When the lowest ERA among the MiLB players is Rondon’s 4.92 and the lowest WHIP is Liberatore’s 1.30?

bccran
    Participant

Okay, LA, so let’s say you load up to about 8 on experienced major league pitchers. Will you stay within budget? And where would you put all of them if they’re all healthy, experienced, successful major league starters aren’t going to want to pitch out of the bullpen or be at AAA.
    They won’t come to STL if that’s the case.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NA career splits shows he hits .260 with a third less Homer’s away from Denver. He is on track to do both this year, so there is no problem. This is expectation.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years