2021 Cardinals MLB Game 96 thread – Wednesday, July 21 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 96 thread – Wednesday, July 21 vs. Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (7-6, 3.71) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (12-4, 3.65)
    BSM // ESPN // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

After last night’s debacle Wainwright needs to come through – big time. They just need to get a lead early and settle down and forget what happened last night. If they dont it could lead to another bad stretch.

These things happen posters. After all, that’s baseball.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re unusually composed considering the “debacle” we just witnessed, Rat. You ok?

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I could see the Cards getting run off the field after GIVING away the game last night, would be nice to have a manger with a clue as to what is going on during the game….

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Giants led the Dodgers 6-1 last night. The Dodgers got it to 6-5 in the 6th and then won it in the last of the 9th on a 3-run dinger by Smith.

We weren’t the only team to blow a big lead. That’s baseball. It happens.

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Definitely need a turn back the clock effort from Wainwright today.

David
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals were to win every 3 game series without sweeping and split the 2 and 4 game series they have… they’d end up with 89 wins. I don’t think that would be enough to even get in the playin game.

Last nights game sucked. Tonight’s game worries me because even though Waino may have a great game tonight I’m sure we won’t score more than 2 runs off Kyle if that which means it will become a bullpen game and we all know how good Schildt is with bullpen and late game management 😒. Fortunately Waino is the only one he’ll let pitch into the 7th and hit for himself after the 5th.

David
    Participant

Free

I am not blaming Schildt for last nights game but I am blaming him for the season and where we’re at after 93 games. His bullpen and in-game management are terrible especially in close games. His not understanding where our strengths are and taking advantage but instead hoping our weaknesses will just correct themselves based on hope. Most managers will manage on instinct where Schildt manages on hope. Let me give an example.. in so many cases where our starting pitcher has been effective during a start and with the offense struggling.. his spot will come up in the 5th or 6th with a one run lead and Schildt will pinch hit with a sub 200 or barely over based on hope. And so many cars that hitter will produce nothing, so now the hope our biggest weakness ( middle relief) can figure it out and hold this 1 run lead for a couple innings. This is where Schildt needs to ask himself what gives my team the best chance of winning? It’s not the injuries or lack of offense that is our downfall.. look at the other division leaders… they’ve all gone through injuries and their share of poor hitting. Look at the crew. They’re last in hitting. For those who don’t feel Schildt is mostly to blame for where we’re at right now, ask yourself this.. If you take any of the 6 division leaders and switch any of the managers with Schildt… are we still 46-47 and are they still leading their division?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Could be wrong but I think I remember us handling Hendricks pretty well the last time we played against him. I don’t buy this Hendricks has our number stuff. Yes somebody greased the pitchers mound last night but we’re still building and developing some young players. Helseley looked really good too last night. Best I’ve seen him.

David
    Participant

Free

Hendricks does pitch well against us. If we’re going to get to him… it’s going to have to be on the first and we’ll need to attack the first pitch because he likes to get ahead quickly and relies a lot on his defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hendricks is very tough on us, especially at Wrigley. We usually hit him a little better at Busch. It will be interesting to see how we respond after last night’s meltdown.

David
    Participant

Free

After last nights meltdown, Waino is the best pitcher to have on the mound tonight. After taking 4/6 from the best team in Baseball and dominating the Cubs for the 1st 17 innings… I’m hoping last night was just a hiccup and not a slap of reality. I think Having Bader lead off would be something to consider as he has had some success against Hendricks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wednesday lineup:
    1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    7. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

David
    Participant

Free

The Mets helped us by blanking Cincy.. KC is also trying to help leading the Crew 5-3 Bottom 6

rcendek@yahoo.com
    Participant

Free

Same lineup same result. If this team does not hit homers, they score very little. The night before the cubbies looked cardinalish. Only one ball hit out of the infield and thanks to errors we won. Look at the season as a whole. No real offense consistently. Very few games we won that they strung a bunch of hits together. And without the homers would have even a worse record. Maybe a change at the hitting coach position? Bullpen is average at best. Can not stand the fact that pitchers are not left in tp pitch longer, especially if they are THROWING STRIKES.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch for this one. Along with two or three 7×50 Palma Real cigars. I believe this is a HUGE game tonight. After last night’s debacle we need to show we can put it behind us. The Reds lost again today and the Brewers are on the verge of losing to Kansas City again.

Din-din today was my weekly trip to the Amish restaurant, the Gasthof. I got to sit in my usual table today too. There was a hot blonde from Atlanta at the table next to me. Anyway, meatloaf, fried chicken, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, baked carrots, noodles, cherry cobbler, chocolate ice cream, and some sweet tea. The really hot blonde restaurant manager walked past me and I about froze in my tracks. Wowsa!

The one bad thing about the trip to the Gasthof today was that there were too many people there. The Amish waitress told me that was because there was a funeral meal today. I guess somebody must have died?

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You only live once(that we know of), Rat. Instead of sitting there at the Gasthof like a bump on a log, why not take a flier on one of those pretty little filly’s? Guess I’ll have to show you first hand when we dine there together one day.
    Tough to get an appropriate beed on tonight’s game, but I’m thinking we finally get to Hendricks this evening. I’m calling it 9-4 Birds with Tyler O’Neill getting back in the fast lane with a tape measure tater and a rattling 2-bager. We’ll get to Hendricks on this fine Wednesday evening…..been a long time coming.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll have my bag ready tonight just in case. I made one for my dog too.

I don’t get why Yadi doesn’t take a day off. The iron man thing is fine if you can do it, but if you can’t, you can’t.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

My gut feeling is the Cubs 9th inning is going to carry over to this game tonight. I expect the Cubs to score in the 1st inning. I’d almost bet a dinner at the Gasthof on it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re on Rat. Dinner, with all of the fixings, at the famed Gasthof restaurante. I say the cubbies won’t put up a tally in the 1st frame.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

din-din polish sausage and sauerkraut. Giant green olives stuffed with garlic clove. Tomato – cucumber salad from the garden. Root beer. Klondike bar.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian reported The Cards cleared a space on the 40 man today and mentioned that the trade deadline looms. Hmmmmm.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Sadly there’s probably a large pool of bad/old free agents that they intend to pick from to fill that spot…hope I’m wrong but…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is “Scrabble” still pitching somewhere?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson ground it right into the shift, second baseman fields back on the grass almost behind the first baseman’s position.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years