2020 NL Wild Card Game 1 – Wed, Sept. 30 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 NL Wild Card Game 1 – Wed, Sept. 30 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What I would find teetotally amusing would be if the $33,000,000 player would completely flop in these 2-3 games.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully the offense comes up to the plate ready to swing. Paddack is among the lowest bb/9 and highest in strike % over the past two years. Doesn’t seem like the kind of match up you hope to fill the bases with walks and run up the pitch count by taking a bunch of pitches.

On a mostly unrelated note, I’m not sure how good the Padres catchers are at framing, but I remember fuming over some of the calls Tyler Flowers got for ATL in the playoff series last year.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Paddack going, the Cards have to be feeling better about the matchups for this first round. Seems like we will get Paddack, Davies and a hope and a prayer. I like the way that lines up. Paddack is a strike thrower who has been bit by the long ball this year (14 HRs in 59 IP).

The Pads’ offense is dangerous, to be sure, but beat up on a lot of bad teams and has tailed off some with OPS of .798 for the season, .738 the last 28 days, .681 for the last 14 and .688 the last 7. I think days off will help both teams, but for the Cards will be an even greater boost.

I’m gonna call game 1 as a 5-2 Cards win and the series goes to the Cards 2-1.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the trouble SD is having with starting pitching, I wonder how good their bull pen is…

How do you guys think it matches up with the Cards BP?
    thanks

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JLaf, with the deadline additions the Padres made, I’d have to call the 2020 pens as an even matchup. What will hurt the SDP is pulling Paddack from the pen and possibly another for a possible game 3. No-one is saying if Lamet can pitch a game 3, just that he’s not starting game 1.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

JLaf, welcome. From the stats perspective, the Cards have the third-best pen in the NL with a 4.00 ERA. SD is seventh at 4.38. As noted, they added Trevor Rosenthal at the deadline.

The Cards pen fanned 9.6 per nine, while the Pads are at 10.0. In walks, SD has a big advantage at 3.5 vs. 4.5 per nine for StL.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I will be watching the Cincinnati/Atlanta game. Then upon completion I will be heading down to the Gasthof, the amish restaurant, for my late lunch. Chicken, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, noodles, sweet potatoes, dressing, and probably a big bowl of chocolate ice cream for dessert. Yum yum.

Then I will return home and watch the Cards/Padres with my old buddy Whitey Herdog on the couch with me. I’ll probably have a cigar or two during this one. Then late tonight watch the Brewers/Dodgers out west. And once again my old buddy Whitey Herdog will be on the couch with me and I’ll probably have a couple of cigars during this one.

Anxious to see how Pugs calls this one. Its my understanding the ball carries a little better at Petco Park during the day so who knows, maybe it will become a slugfest. Sort of like the Trump/Biden debate last night.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bullpen comparison is interesting. The Padres certainly upgraded their pen at the deadline. It looks like they used 24 pitchers this year and the Cards 26. Not sure exactly who will be taking the bullpen innings for the Padres this week but they have a few guys who look really good (Rosenthal, Pomeranz, Johnson, Strahm, Quantrill) and some guys who’ve struggled more.

Of our guys who are likely to pitch, only Ponce and Helsley stand out as having struggled this year, and you can probably figure on Ponce being better in the pen and Helsley has really been quite a bit better of late. Adding up all the guys who have been relievers that we might run out there (I included Gant who I still don’t know about), and you have a 2.71 ERA from the pen.

I guess if the Padres had a healthy rotation the two might be close but if you needed a lot of bullpen innings I’d take the Cards and it wouldn’t be too close.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks guys for the responses. I guess we will see soon!!

I have been a longtime reader, short time payer, but i do appreciate all the knowledge that Brian and so many posters bring to the discussions. Also appreciate the mealtime suggestions 🙂

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres finalized their 28 man roster today. No Clevinger, no Lamet.

https://padres.mlblogs.com/padres-finalize-28-man-wild-card-series-roster-c9066a1fd44e

Participant

Paid - Annual

The fact that the Pads do not have their two best starters this series is a real blow to them. Hopefully we can take advantage.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thought this was an interesting take on the series. Their main points…the Cards have a pathetic offense (which of course may be true), the pitching is only good from facing weak offenses and the defense lacks range, especially in the outfield. They also believe the Padres played a hard schedule and the Cards an easy one.

https://www.gaslampball.com/2020/9/29/21493804/padres-news-mlb-postseason

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting yes. He points out our competition as weak and we send 7 to the postseason. Their division sends 4, so they faced the Dodgers and A’s, hence their 13 games vs >.500 clubs. A bit of homer-itis there, but it’s their blog.

Pham bats 5th as the DH today.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Pads having to go to their “B” starters certainly bodes well for the Cardinals. Still I cannot see our offense doing a lot in this series. We rarely get a big offensive output regardless of who pitches for the opponent.

But if KK is on, which he usually is, this is a game we can get. The game could turn on a defensive miscue from one side.

On a side note, is this the first time Tommy Pham has played against the Cardinals? Don’t remember us seeing him as a Ray. With him a Padre, maybe he can be on one of my combo teams. Let’s see, who else played for both franchises – Ed Spiezio, Terry Kennedy, Ozzie, Ray Lankford, Andy Benes – yeah, might be able to pull a team together. I will think about it.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That top five is an impressive group of hitters.

Participant

Free

He points out our competition as weak

The teams in the west conference did perform much better against their AL western foes (+20 games) than we did against our central AL foes (-12 games)

Espn standings VS division

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The teams in the west conference did perform much better against their AL western foes (+20 games) than we did against our central AL foes (-12 games)

The Pirates going 3-17 certainly didn’t help the cause.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Dylan Carlson (S) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) DH
    8. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oviedo, Dean and Knizner in. Crismatt, Elledge and Woodford out.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

lineups are out boss

Participant

Free

Ouch! An 11:08 p.m. sleepytime start tonight. Hope the Birds produce enough excitement to keep me awake. I’ve fortified myself with fresh trout seared in butter, boiled potatoes with jackets, ratatouille and a green salad. To keep Mrs. CIF happy, I passed on dessert. I predict a victory by no more than two runs.
    Rah Cardinals!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, we went with a mix of defense and offense there. Hopefully Bader’s hot finish will carry into the postseason. Also need to get something…anything…out of that 5-6-7. I feel confident enough that the other guys can score us 2-3 runs. If Yadi, Paulie and the Galveston Grinder are on form, it could be the difference in the game. If not, it might be a disappointing 3-2 loss.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years