2019 World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 World Series thread

This topic contains 168 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 23 hours, 20 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar said talking about the Dodgers “Haven’t won a world series. They have done plenty of winning.” This thread is about the World Series

Yes it is and you are correct in that they haven’t won the WS since the Kirk Gibson HR of 1988. I was just pointing out that they and the Yankees no longer operate like they once did. They don’t just keep writing checks until their arm gets tired. Both front offices, especially the Dodgers, are very much new school.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I suspect caution in payroll growth is primarily being driven by the luxury tax. Still, the Yankees are third in payroll in MLB ($203 MM, up 22.7% from 2018!) and the Dodgers are fifth ($196 MM, up 5.4% from 2018), so it isn’t like they are on some sort of dramatic austerity program.

The two teams currently playing are fourth at $197 MM (Nats) and ninth at $158 MM (Astros) in total payroll.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yeah I’m with you MM3, I’m already tired of baby sharks. Brian I read a good article a while back on the luxury tax. Think I googled it. The exspurt that wrote it contended that with the the huge contracts that teams have to pay that the tax Per centage ( don’t remember what it was) wasn’t a major deterence to exceeding the cap. The difference in having a key player vs paying the tax for him was negligible. I think some teams are weak on home grown talent and have to either wait and develop teams or buy free agents. Its no fun to stay in the cellar for years on end.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The luxury tax is described this way: “A club exceeding the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the first time must pay a 20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax.”

So if you go big and stay big you pay more.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So unusual to see a team totally reshift the momentum after being belted 2 straight games in their own park. Hats off to Houston. I would not imagine there has ever been a 7 game series where the road team prevailed in all 7. I bet Skip and our good friends over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau could readily give us the answer to that question…..and knowing those guys, to a man, I bet every darn one of them could do it off the top of their head.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I like it too Pugs. Its been neat to see them bounce back. Seems like its flip flopped. So now its a new series. Who wins best of three. It might just go 7 games! Got to remember no TV baseball till spring after this! They had a little jab at St Louis last night showing the Baby Sharks Theatrical Show opened this weekend in St Louis after we got swept. Implied irony I guess. The sharks looked like minnows the last couple nights. Some very good defensive plays by both teams. Astros are really hitting off Nats bullpen. Neat to see that kind of offense. Just wait till next year. Go Cardinals!

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This indeed has become a Series! I was thinking the Nats would sweep their way through the rest of the season, but it is great to see Houston come back and look like a legitimate “contend-a”.

We all wish our Cardinals could have shown that spunk in the LCS, but water under the bridge now. I just hope this Series goes seven.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A closer look at the Dodgers payroll will reveal that almost all of their payroll is made up of homegrown players or getting rid of some mistakes from the previous regime. The only notable FA signed by Friedman from outside the organization is Pollock.

Friedman is a believer of building from within while supplementing from the outside a little if needed and trying to build a sustainable model that is competitive every year instead of splurging on massive contracts from the outside like his predecessors. In other words, his model is very similar to the one laid out by Mo and DeWitt.

The Yankees are still more than willing to get help from the outside but they are nowhere near as reckless as the days of George Steinbrenner. I suspect he would not approve of the way the team operates right now.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still can’t figure out who I want to win this WS. I really don’t care for either team, for different reasons. I guess I will be glad when it is over so we can get on with the postseason.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What a punch in the gut for the Nats.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if doing that baby shark motion puts a lot of stress on the trap. Has Max been spotted doing that?

Evidently, a big break for the Astros. If this had happened in the NLCS against the Cards, I’m not sure I would’ve considered it a big break. Sometimes when a guy like Ross is suddenly pushed into a situation like this, he doesn’t have time to psyche himself out and ends up doing a good job.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Teams may need five starters to get to the World Series, but they don’t use them all once there. I was surprised by this, still…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

This is over in 6 Astros going to win 4 straight

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You very well may be correct, Onyxgem. Those Nat players may have been yucking it up a bit too much in Game 2. Nothing wrong with demonstrating a little jubilation, but I think Washington may have been excessively hamming it up. Nothing hurts more than losing something that you already thought that you had won. But who knows, maybe we are witnessing the first World Series where the road team wins all 7 games?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

It ain’t over until it’s over

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh it’s over now, GameCard. It’s so unusual to see one abrupt wild momentum swing in a series, let alone two. You can crown the Stros…..and do so with complete confidence.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Ain’t it sweet to finally see all those Nats fans, the politicians, lobbyists, news folks and general government bureaucrats, be given a red rag to soak up their tears. National league or not – GO ASTROS. They do have the better team anyway.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ain’t it sweet to finally see all those Nats fans, the politicians, lobbyists, news folks and general government bureaucrats, be given a red rag to soak up their tears. National league or not – GO ASTROS. They do have the better team anyway.

Do you have to bring politics into every thread? Gee whiz. Take a break from Fox News.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The home team is now 0-5 in this World Series. Strange.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<gscottar wrote:

Do you have to bring politics into every thread? Gee whiz. Take a break from Fox News.>

There was nothing about partisan politics in that post of mine. But if you read it that way, perhaps you are one who needs to chill a bit. If you don’t think Washington DC is a swamp that does not reflect flyover country, you may just be one who needs to watch Fox news.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you don’t think Washington DC is a swamp that does not reflect flyover country, you may just be one who needs to watch Fox news.

My opinion of DC or your opinion of DC should be irrelevant to this board. One of the reasons I like coming to this board is that is a break and respite from the bombardment of news and politics. If I want the daily talking points of Fox News or MSNBC I will tune into those stations, not Cardinal Nation.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

gscottar I can see you like to make mountains out of mole hills.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I enjoy many of your observations on this board MM3, and I welcome more, but I’m afraid that in this instance I must agree with gscottar. I read the New York Times every day and get my fill of all the political goings on. I come here to fill up on baseball and enjoy a little debate over who should play third base or what to do about Fowler or why our Birds can’t hit. Let’s keep it that way.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

OK, so please educate me. What in my original post was political? Was any party mentioned? Was any politician mentioned? Was any political belief mentioned (except that I am not fond of Washington DC)?
    It looks like the political police are after me but they don’t have any ammo so give it a rest please. I am not out to make enemies but I am also not out to be criticized by people seeing things in my posts that do not exist. I had no intention of making that post political but I did intend to state one reason I am not a fan of the Nationals. Sorry if folks were offended but I have seen a lot of things on here that offend me too.

PS: You read the NY Times. I watch Fox News. So shall we let it stand there.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

Strausburg vs Verlander, battle of the aces. Probably be loud in Houston tonight. Nats bats looking like our Cardinals. Looks like these two teams know each other well now. Saw a Astros lf catch a Nats line drive last game and he never even moved his feet.Ball went right to him.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years