2019 World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 World Series thread

This topic contains 168 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 23 hours, 7 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Dodgers haven’t won in 31 years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers haven’t won in 31 years.

Haven’t won a world series. They have done plenty of winning.

And the Yankees have the best winning % of any MLB team the last decade.

Ironically, the Yankees and Dodgers have basically adopted the Cardinal model of building a team strong enough to win the division and hope to get hot enough in the playoffs to win the whole thing. So far, that model has worked better for the Cardinals than the other two teams in the last 10-20 years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/db33an/final_decade_standings_of_the_2010s_these/

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Astros have fired their Assistant GM after his comments allegedly directed at female reporters about Roberto Osuna.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27920694/admitting-were-wrong-astros-fire-assistant-gm-brandon-taubman

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, that’s 9 wins in a row for Washington. Wonder what the post season record is? They passed the ‘04 Red Sox number of 8 to close out that season.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hey bikemike, if you’re talking about a single season, I believe eight is the record. Nats are sitting at eight now, not nine, so they could pass the Red Sox Friday night.

Of course not all that long ago, teams couldn’t get more than four consecutive postseason wins in a a single season. Torre’s Yanks won 12 in a row over two seasons. Also, the Yanks swept the 1927 & 1928 WS for eight in a row and then returned to the WS for another sweep in 1932, so you might count that as 12 in a row.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fun Fact: Washington and Houston share the same Spring training facility.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Such a shame to see the world series being tainted by a political correctness agenda. Now spouse abuse is injected into the storyline. The Astros have to sacrifice an assistant manager because somebody got offended. Reminds me of tommahawks and indians. Whats next? Think I’m getting offended. I know the media creating sideline stories when there isn’t one! Still waiting for baby sharks to get launched by the astronauts. Go salsa eaters!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regardless of your political affiliation I think it is safe to say the off the field problems for the Astros are affecting their performance on the field. I don’t feel sorry for Lunhow though.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hi gscotar, is Lundlow the ex-cardinal guy that went to the Astros and didn’t change his password?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lunhow is the Astros GM that formerly worked in the Cardinal front office.

I can’t tell you exactly what all happened and didn’t happen between the Cardinals and Astros but I suspect the Astros hands weren’t quite as clean as they would want everyone to believe.

And the way the Astros front office has handled this most recent fiasco has been complete amateur hour PR wise.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just checked it out, Ludlow and Mejda both left the Cards for Houston. Corea stayed with the Cards. Ludlow was thier boss. Mejda didn’t change his passwords. Corea accessed Astros records and gets jail time. Years later Ludlow gets axed. What goes around comes around?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Lunhow hasn’t been fired, that I know of. He’s certainly a better analyst of baseball talent than he is a tactician when it comes to PR though. Like Gscottar, I don’t feel all that sorry for him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nats going old school….next thing you know they will be championing a pitcher’s W-L record and a batter’s batting average and rbi totals….yikes

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Such a shame to see the world series being tainted by a political correctness agenda. Now spouse abuse is injected into the storyline. The Astros have to sacrifice an assistant manager because somebody got offended. Reminds me of tommahawks and indians. Whats next? Think I’m getting offended. I know the media creating sideline stories when there isn’t one! Still waiting for baby sharks to get launched by the astronauts. Go salsa eaters!

Woo boy, where to begin with this?! You think its perfectly fine for an assistant GM to antagonize female reporters over domestic violence?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC wrote:

Fun Fact: Washington and Houston share the same Spring training facility.

Fun fact +1: They are the first two teams to play their spring training games on the same field then meet that fall in the World Series since the 1942 Cardinals and Yankees shared Waterfront Park in St. Pete.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whoa super cool on the Spring connection dating back to ‘42. Did one of the teams move in the Spring of ‘43?

On the Houston mess and it being “PC”, we can usually look back at history for a glimpse at what is going on today, and what will happen tomorrow. The fact that violence against women was unchecked, almost considered a natural part of society for most of human existence has lead us to this point. So maybe we go a little over-board the other way at times, but it is not something to take lightly.

We do not know exactly what happened, but from what the guy said he sounds like a jerk – a blowhard who was overly caught up in the moment. That sort of thing was given a pass a couple of decades ago, but no more. And being a father of a daughter and a couple of step daughters, I have been close to situations that got a bit out of hand. My wife seems to spare me the details, but tells me enough to know it can bring a lot of hurt and mistrust to the women who are treated that way.

Alright, that’s my comment – on to game 3. After not caring much who wins this thing, I have jumped over to the Nationals side. No Washington championship since 1924, and none ever for the franchise, and watching these guys make the game look easy against us and Houston has me rooting for them to close the deal. What a different team this is from the one we almost swept back in the early part of the season at their park.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Why are the Nat’s wearing those road-style uniforms? Those are okay for a mid-August game against the Marlins, but this is the World Series – look sharp!!

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

gscottar said talking about the Dodgers “Haven’t won a world series. They have done plenty of winning.” This thread is about the World Series

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Nats are simply making the Astros’ pitchers work. Taking professional ABs. Fighting off a lot of good pitches. They are playing well to the situation. Even when they strike out, it seems like throughout the postseason the Nats have made the opposing pitchers burn fuel.

Or maybe it’s just random luck. Houston now leads 2-0 in the top of the 3rd. I hope the Astros win a couple in DC because I’d like to see seven games.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Martinez went with Sanchez too long, IMO. Maybe concern about his pen. Sanchez is knocked out in the sixth with Houston up, 4-1.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I just started to post about that, Brian. Martinez has been “on” in postseason, seemingly making all the right calls, and out maneuvering opposing managers. However, he could’ve pinch hit for Sanchez to probably score an additional run in the 4th. He didn’t and the Nats didn’t score that additional run, plus Sanchez gave up runs in the next two innings. He will definitely field some questions on this.

If I were a Nats fan, I wouldn’t be critical though. They are avoiding the middle of their pen like the plague and that’s probably wise.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good to see a good hitting team not get swept by the Nats. Go Cardinals! Oh yeah I agree Sosa is a hot dog. Trying to claim the inside of the zone.I’d pitch him inside and tight all the time. Hes up so far hes not gonna hit anything but his hands. If he gets hit its gonna be on him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Without trying to turn this into a political thread ….. I personally dont like every organization being expected to police their employees. Gotta beef with a player, coach, staff member? Take it to the police. If there is not enough there for the justice system to do something about it let it go. Why does the team/league need to get involved?

As a military officer I would often get calls about service members who either were not meeting their financial obligations or were supposedly abusing someone. I told them the same thing. Go file a police report. Get a lawyer and sue. Why do organizations need to get involved in things they are not trained to do when there are professionals that are.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Wooster wrote: Oh yeah I agree Sosa is a hot dog.>
    You are on the right track Wooster only wrong name. Soto is the jerk on that Nats team and he is not much of an outfielder either. After the BS he was trying to pull with Mikolas by grabbing his crotch on pitches called balls I was happy to see Mikolas give the same to him in reverse. I think that young chap (21 yesterday) will wind up with another set of ear holes if he continues with his stupid stuff. At our house we just call him (Soto) The Jerk and Contreras (Cubs) is Hotdog.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I guess I should be supporting the Nationals as they are the National League team but I find it hard supporting a team whose fans are politicians, government workers, news hacks and lobbyists none of whom I have much respect for.

GO ASTROS

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years