2019 World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 World Series thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Literally like taking candy from a sleeping baby.

WASHINGTON WORLD SERIES WINNER

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a game and what a series! Congrats to the Nationals on a job well done! They defied all odds to win the World Series!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do folks feel any better about the Cards losing to the Nats now that they are World Champions?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, I was taught that you root for the team that knocked you out of the tourney. So I guess I feel a little better.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Feel like a million bucks, Brian.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, he did flinch. A runaway freight train will do that to you. 😉

Matt Adams: World Series Champion

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed….another jubilant “Adams” or “Addams” tonight, Euro Dandy. His uncle, who used to post here when Matt was a Redbird, is surely extra proud on this fine Wednesday evening.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Nats winning doesn’t make me feel a bit better . . . . or a bit worse. Both teams have a few players I really like and one or two that I don’t care for.

I will say I enjoyed this series far more than any other since 2011. It was a good watch. I’m going to miss watching baseball starting tomorrow.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

His uncle, who used to post here when Matt was a Redbird

What was his screen name?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Ides of March is not that far off , Euro Dandy. Our Birds will be suiting up before we know it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t believe I cannot think of his name, Euro. Real nice guy from Pennsylvania who posted a fair amount when Matt was originally with the team. We would drop me a PM a couple times a week when we had that fearure. I’ll eventually think of it. When I can’t think of a name, I close my eyes and think real hard and slowly go through the alphabet. And that works about 95% of the time.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And until the Ides of March, Pugs, the Packers might provide some good entertainment. Do you think their record is for real? I seriously will try to make it to Lambeau again this year. Haven’t done that since 2014. I made it back to Busch for the NLDS this year and hadn’t been there since 2015.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pack has won a lot of close games. Very encouraging that they know how to win the close ones. But, almost every Super Bowl champion also had a few blowouts on their regular season resume. Hopefully the Pack will accumulate at least a couple of them. If you end up coming to Wisconsin, please let me know, Euro.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

While I wasn’t pulling for them I have to give credit to the Nats on that record setting win. No other series where the road team won all the games. They beat the best in every division except their own but let the Cardinals do that. They did remind me of the 2011 Cards coming from the wild card position and having to win game 6 only they had to win it on the road.

One thing that was not that impressive in this series – the Astros bullpen.

When does spring training start – pitchers and catchers report?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Congrats to the Nats on winning their first title. That franchise bad been a bit snake bitten. Now, I hope the Cards’ front office goes out and makes a team able to compete consistently with these elite teams. Bring on the hot stove!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals vs. Nationals (regular season):

2019: 5-2
    2018: 5-2

As we have seen time and time again, winning the World Series is far more about getting hot in October than it is winning a division and dominating for the first six months.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Congrats to the Nats!!! A very entertaining World Series. Washington was fortunate to have the road-field advantage in this one.

I thought Hinch panicked a little when he pulled. Greinke. The guy had dominated, and hit a bump in the road, but I was leaning a bit to thinking letting him go another batter or two would be the right call.

Did not really care too much who won, as both franchises have been down most of their history. But was favoring Washington a bit more as the Montreal/Washington franchise had never won, and no Washington franchise has won since 1924. We can now say the “Curse of Cronin” is officially dead!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I would have to say that Cole lost a lot of respect by coming out wearing a Boras hat and saying that he is not an employee of the Astros. So maybe they don’t cut him a paycheck. Hope he enjoys his long off season – should last until about June 2020 if not longer.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I very much doubt that Cole is on the market after the season starts. Ace pitchers who are still young enough to reasonably expect multiple Cy Young level seasons ahead can get away with stuff that others can’t. He’ll get the biggest contract ever given to a pitcher. Boras or not, I’d be thrilled if it was with the Cards at almost any price.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who knows? Maybe Cole did not like how his soon to be former organization treated some people and prefers to work elsewhere. Or maybe he wants to stay there, but is upset they didn’t make him a competitive offer already.

Remember that he did not choose Houston – he was traded there. He’s now earned the right to become a free agent and will soon become very wealthy as a result. Cardinals fans can only hope he stays in the American League.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t feel better that the Nats won. I don’t like the Nats. Josh Hader should have finished them off when he had the chance.

That blown ball/strike call when Soto was up really turned the game in my opinion. It was all downhill after that.

Of course I don’t feel bad for Lunhow and his crew either. I am just glad it is over so we can get on with the postseason.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the cubbies were smart, they’d trade Bryant for some pitching and go out and ink Rendon.

Pugs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is at least some of Cole’s post-game interview. His comments seem very normal to me. Regarding his cap, a lot of guys wear different caps as they change into street clothes. It is very common, though this is the first Boras cap I’ve seen. I wonder if I can order one for gscottar? Surely the Boras Corp sells merchandise… 😉

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Fun series to watch ending with a twist. Some memorable play in this one.Rendon coming up with hairline singles dropping in over the defense. Grienkes sagging hirs up the middle as the 5th infielder. The surprise collapse of the Astros bullpen. The barely fair slicing dinger by a mid 30’s Nats to put it out of reach. Home team loses every game. Altuves dinger to lift the Astros. The Strausburg – Scherzer fantastic duo. It was a good one. Hope we can create an offense in 2019, Go Cardinals!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I didn’t watch every inning of the World Series this year by any means, but I watched more this year than in the past few due to the Cardinals making it further. It makes me wonder if fans of teams who are in severe playoff ruts (Baltimore, White Sox, Padres, etc) hardly watch at all when their seasons have already been over for 2-3 months.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.