2019 World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 World Series thread

This topic contains 168 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 151 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I recall Cole was sort of a jerk when he was with Pittsburgh too. He was easily ‘offended’ by what some of the opposition did to his pitches or what the umpire called. The Astros made him what he is now and, as far as I am concerned, the comment saying “I am no longer an employee of the Astros” or to that effect brands him a a jerk in my book. He joins Soto in that category but Soto is only a rookie so it may take some time to put a few pitches at his head to get his attention. I am not one who thinks he will be playing at the start of next season as he still thinks his stuff don’t stink and people should pay for it. Owners are wise to those demands lately.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is very common, though this is the first Boras cap I’ve seen. I wonder if I can order one for gscottar? Surely the Boras Corp sells merchandise… 😉

I don’t need a Boras hat. I have no affection for him. I just like to tease you for railing against him so often. :o)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for Cole, my guess is he will end up joining Merlot Joe in Anaheim.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I hate that Albert has to play for that POS Joe Maddon.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well im glad the nationals won. the first in that franchises history. Houston was terrible with runners on but the nationals just came up big in key moments. Strasberg was just great the whole playoffs. I don’t know who won mvp but if I was voting, he would have. Scherzer was undefeated as well but I felt he got more lucky than he was actually great.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Strasburg was the MVP.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

thanks for the info brian. he earned it.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Strasbourg get the Corvette. Not sure that happens anymore by the way, as I believe that was a Sport Magazine perk.

But back when we played those guys in 2012 or somewhere around that time, the Nats shut Stras down. I thought it was a big mistake as you only get so many chances at a title. You can’t “wait for next year”, as next year may never come, or at least be 7 years away.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Being a car guy and a baseball guy, I should not have been surprised when this article came up on my Google reader this morning…

https://jalopnik.com/stephen-strasburg-also-won-a-c8-corvette-but-will-have-1839509483

On the shutdown in 2012, there was a lot of talk at the time that Boras pushed Mike Rizzo to do it. Boras said he agreed with the decision but denied he was directly involved. His words suggested otherwise.

“This is how Mike Rizzo and I built this team.”

“I hear people say I’m reserving Stephen Strasburg so I can make more money off him,” Boras said. “Well, I guess in the end, that’s true. But the reality of it is, when Stras has a longer and greater career, we all benefit. But the benefit is more so to the game, because every time Stephen Strasburg takes the mound, we all stop and look.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8358229/scott-boras-says-kept-quiet-washington-nationals-stephen-strasburg-shutdown

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Very cool on the ‘Vette. I have always been sort of a car guy as well.

Does not surprise me that Boras had his dirty hands in the decision to shut Strasburg down back in 2012. It is just something like he would do.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And Strasburg opted out of his contract, joining Cole as top pitchers in the Boras-driven free agent market this winter.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

So at 31 years old he is turning down 4/100 in hopes of getting more. What do others think he will wind up with. My guess is 4/120. Ain’t worth much more for a guy that works one day in five and gets about 30 starts @ 1 mil per start. Just a guess but I bet that 100 mil he is passing up would pay the salary for every single minor leaguer for a year.(Brian, you probably have those numbers) Should MLB cut back on minor league teams (and players) as recently announced they will just be cutting their own throat. The pay system is too top heavy. What is most surprising to me is that the big guns tend to totally forget their experiences in the minors. But then I guess most of them were high draft picks and had big bonuses from the get-go.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is USATODAY’s estimate of Strasburg’s new contract:

“It will certainly be more than the $175 million total value of his last deal, probably somewhere in the $210-230 million range over six, seven or eight years.” (but with some of the money deferred)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/11/03/stephen-strasburg-free-agent-nationals-opt-out/4148401002/

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The money doesn’t surprise me – remember Boras agent. But the years do – Is a 37, 38, 39 year old pitcher worth that much. Sounds like another bust deal about to be made. I can see why the Cardinals stay away from these kind of deals. Even Cecil and Fowler were nowhere in that area. Glad the Yanks got Stanton and his 18 games in 2019 and the Phillies and Padres are still wondering how they missed. This is a team game – not a one man wonder show. I like the way the Cards do their business but I know a lot of others disagree. So easy to spend other peoples money huh?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It will certainly be more than the $175 million total value of his last deal, probably somewhere in the $210-230 million range over six, seven or eight years.” (but with some of the money deferred)

A couple of thoughts. First, I can see why Strasburg opted out, as his value is at a peak right now. He struck while the iron was hot. But I cannot see anyone ponying up a 6+ year deal at up to $230M for a 31 year old pitcher.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As Lee Corso says, “Not so fast, my friend.” Greinke got 6/$206.5 from Arizona at age 32 (comparable to 7/$240 at age 31) and is still performing well in that deal.

I have no idea if Stras can top that, but I certainly would not rule out anything. All it takes is one owner (and one stubborn agent). As you noted, conditions are ideal (coming off a great year and with little free agent competition).

In hindsight, the Nats got bitten by their willingness to give opt outs to Strasburg. Of course, we don’t know if that was a contingency to get the original deal done.

Boras has already been quoted as saying he is opening talks with the Nats tomorrow. But, it won’t get done fast as he needs other teams bidding to push up the price.

Rizzo and the Nats sure didn’t get long to enjoy that title…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going back a few years the Nationals are one of the few teams in MLB that have had a good relationship with Boras as a number of his players seem to have ended up there. It will be interesting to see if that relationship continues.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

See the Boras quote from above.

“This is how Mike Rizzo and I built this team.”

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another hit on the Astros’ troubled image.

Here is the detailed article from The Athletic with much more information.

https://theathletic.com/1363451/2019/11/12/the-astros-stole-signs-electronically-in-2017-part-of-a-much-broader-issue-for-major-league-baseball/

Viewing 19 posts - 151 through 169 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years