2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 737 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46-Meisner
    47-Latcham
    48-Machado…his slide needs to end, i think he is still a solid top 50 prospect
    49-Julio Rodriguez
    50-Gil

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

46. Nogowiski – A little old as a 25 year old at AA but the 1B did slash .309/.392/.463 there and had almost twice as many walks as strikeouts (41:21) to make for an intriguing bat to watch next year.

47. Roel Ramirez – The least touted prospect from the Pham trade but the reliever spun a 2.95 ERA while striking out 70 in 64 innings. Interested to see what he does once the 23 year old AA’er settles into the Cards organization.

48. Morales – This late in the rankings I like to skim through the upper levels to see if there are any relievers that we could see in St. Louis the following season. Easy to forget Morales was once a 2nd round comp pick but he did have a 3.88 ERA in 60 innings at AAA with 69 Ks. The righty has actually done better against lefties the last two seasons, holding them to a sub .200 batting average.

49. Mateo Gil – I’m leaning a lot into pedigree here, both his 3rd round pick status as well as his dad being a former major leaguer. He’s young, just turned 18 in July and the 6’1 180 pounder should have some decent power as he hits the weight room which would be nice for a player Randy Flores mentioned is expected to stick in the middle of the infield.

50. Machado

Wiley
    Participant

Free

46. Justin Toerner – Drafted 28th this year; started at State College; got promoted to Palm Beach (damn near impossible in your draft season) and then sent back down to Peoria. In 3 levels he hit .312 with a .410obp and yet he seems to be invisible.

47. Jesus Cruz – The flame throwing pitcher threw 85.1 innings, gave up only 66hits and KO’ed 104. In his short Cardinal career he’s thrown 116 inn and struck out 145. That sounds like closer material.

48. Casey Meisner – He’s a flyball pitcher and a very effective one.

49. Julio Rodriguez – Only 21 and exceptional defensively. He had a very undisciplined year with the bat, but he’s at minimum; back-up catcher potential.

50. Derian Gonzalez – In case you haven’t noticed he’s been an organizational favorite for the past few years. They see something special in his talents, ergo spring training invites.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46. Latcham
    47. Soler
    48. Victor Garcia
    49. Julio Rodriguez
    50. Meisner

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#46 – Jake Dahlberg, lhp
    Cardinal Nation’s State College 2018 Pitcher of the Year started 15 games on two Class A levels and gave up only 2 home runs in 97 innings. His K/BB ratio was 4.05. A collegiate lefthander, he is old at 24. He specializes in hitting his location and mixing up his pitches. If he can continue to be a starter, he could end up being a valuable guy. Even as a future reliever, he has value. His 2018 stats force you to take note.

#47 – Anthony Shew, rhp
    From the article naming him Springfield Starting Pitcher of the Year: “Armed with a five-pitch mix, Shew throws a sinker, changeup, curveball, slider and cutter. His fastball/change combination has always been his bread-and-butter, but an area of emphasis was placed on refining his other secondary pitches this season.”

#48 – Chris Ellis, rhp
    Actually had very good numbers at Memphis. Anxious to see him in Spring Training.

#49 – Austin Warner, lhp
    From independent league to AAA in two seasons! And a lefty. He is already a success story.

#50 – Julio Rodriguez, c
    Good arm and defense. Not overwhelmed at any level he’s progressed to.

UncleDenny
    Participant

46 Mateo Gil
    47 Julio Rodriguez
    48 Victor Garcia
    49 Julio Puello
    50 Angel Rondon

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46. “The Pelican”

47. Dahlberg

48. Meisner

49. Ascanio

50. “Ah” Shew

May I be the first to roll out the red carpet in welcoming our new poster, Bob Cobb. Welcome Bob!! You should get along marvelously with esteemed poster Robert Cobb. Relatives?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pugs, do you think Ascanio will eventually hit or do you think there is room in today’s game for a Dal Maxvill type SS?

UncleDenny
    Participant

Ascanio has only one more yr before he is a free agent and doesn’t have much of a bat. He sure is a good defensive shortstop

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

46 Chase Pinder
    47 Yariel Gonzalez
    48 Julio Rodriguez
    49 Zack Pendergast
    50 Casey Meisner

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He sure is, Dennis. Ascanio wearing Cardinal red, rekindles memories of one, Osborne Earl Smith. Now if he can only start to hit.

Indeed Carioca….Rayder Ascanio can and will hit. On the surface, a comparison to Dal Maxvill at the dish is a fair one. However, the signs are there that Rayder will far eclipse what Dal did offensively over the course of his career. Ascanio’s plate discipline is ascending in the right direction. And his swing is much smoother than Dal’s. His wrists much more fluid that what Maxvill’s was. I think you’re also going to see a more muscular, yet still sleek, Rayder Ascanio in 2019, which should translate into a little more pop in his hitting arsenal. This next year is going to be a crucial one in his career…..and I think he will be up for the challenge. It’s not a pipe dream to look a few years into the future and see a Cardinal team with the likes of Gorman, Nunez and Ascanio leading the way.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

46) Derian Gonzalez

47) Ramon Mendoza

48) Julio Rodriguez

49) Angel Rondon
    The 20-year-old posted a 2.90 ERA for Peoria this year, and his career numbers are solid as well with a strikeout per inning, a 3-1 K/BB ratio, and a 3.07 earned run average. Thanks, Dennis Johnson, for reminding me about Rondon. I saw the righty pitch this year, and shouldn’t have needed the memory jog. Stuff is fine, fastball 90-94, promising curve.

50) Juan Yepez
    Another 20-year-old who was very good for Peoria this season — dominant actually, but only for a month, and then was no good at all for Palm Beach. But still, the Venezuelan first baseman is again just 20, and he did hold his own in full season ball at age 19 the year before. For what it’s worth, per Baseball Prospectus his baserunning & defense both improved markedly in 2018. Sort of a 1B version of Lane Thomas or Edmundo Sosa or Scott Hurst, i.e., uneven track record, but with periodic signs of real MLB potential, and needs to stay much healthier.

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Puggsley. But “Robert” and “Bob” are one and the same. That gives me an idea, though. If I had multiple handles I could get my favorites picked earlier. Too late for that now. Ha Ha.

14NyquisT
    Participant

No. 46 – JuRodriguez
    No. 47 – YGonzalez
    No. 48 – JeMartinez
    No. 49 – Pinder
    No. 50 – Warner

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46-Austin Warner
    47-Chase Pinder
    48-Justin Toerner. He had a good start with the bat in his first taste of pro ball. It will be up to him to keep advancing.
    49-Mateo Gil. A high draft pick who is very young and didn’t get the bat knocked out of his hands at GCL, he had a decent OBP and the defense might be stellar. He will need to develop some power.
    50-Casey Meisner. The big fella might be a bullpen guy in the near future, but he held his own starting this year. He’s got that Waino stature but probably not the Waino stuff.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow! I never put 2 & 2 together , Robert….or Bob….maybe we’ll just go with Mr. Cobb. I think it wasn’t only the switch from “Robert” to “Bob” that threw me off base, but also the addition of the cool avatar. I’ve always wanted an avatar featuring the original 12 year old Pugsley Addams from Addams Family fame, but I have no idea how to post an avatar? I think it would be very nice touch, as Pugsley, though so young, exuded 3 traits that are coveted by all American males….strength, dashing looks and an overflowing touch of class. Maybe one day I’ll figure it out?

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To Pugs:
    Bob is fine. Or Bob Cobb. Mr. Cobb Makes me nervous.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

46. Victor Garcia – Good year in GCL. Interested to see if the organization challenges him or sends him to JC.

47. Casey Meisner – Held his own starting this year. Seems like he has good not great, but still a starter with good traditional numbers and decent peripherals. I imagine he’ll start in AA depending on how the big league bullpen shakes out in spring training.

48. Jonatan Machado – He reminds me a lot of Sierra, which, I wasn’t all that enamored with either. Defense first slap hitter type. Sierra hasn’t done much with the Marlins yet. We’ll see if he is able to pick up in Peoria better this year.

49. Jean Selmo – I’m intrigued by this guy. Big frame and lots of potential for a rule 5 pick. I’ll admit I have no idea what his status is for this year after being a rule 5 pick up last year.

50. Zach Jackson – Lefty catcher with a big arm and supposedly a power stroke. Looked good at times in JC this year. If he continues to improve it will be an embarrassment of riches at catcher in the system.

PadsFS
    Participant

14NyquisT

No. 50 – Warner

There’s an Andrew and an Austin Warner, 14Ny. Which one are you choosing? Cardinals27 voted for Andrew Warner last round of voting.

I forgot to put my picks in.

I have

#46 – Jeremy Martinez, CA
    #47 – Chase Pinder, CF
    #48 – Victor Garcia, RF
    #49 – Carlos Soler, CF
    #50 – Jonatan Machado, CF

14NyquisT
    Participant

#No.50 – Andrew Warner.

In his rookie season he ate up GCL pitching at .342 – OBP .441 – OPS 1.46.

The 22 y.o. 6’2″ OF was named GCL – MVP and was a post season All-Star. I like his size, and he stole 4 bases caught once. I place him at State College in ’19 where he’ll be challenged and will be more age appropriate.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46 Meisner
    47 J Rodriguez
    48 Y Gonzalez
    49 Roel Ramirez
    50 As Ed Sullivan said “really good Shew”

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Grenadier, What is it about Selmo you like better than Soler (same age better stats) or Adanson Cruz (younger,BA DSL end of season all league team) or Ramon Mendoza (younger, better stats)? Not saying you are wrong by any means just want to know if it was something you read, a particular stat, or just a gut feeling?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

30 guys have received votes this round and 12-of-18 voters have voted for Rodriguez.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Carioca,
    That’s fair. Statistically Soler did have a better season. The organization promoted him as well. Frankly I see Soler, Selmo, and Cruz as roughly the same (Same general age, well above average season, OF). I would usually give the benefit of the doubt in this case to Soler, only because of his in season promotion to the GCL and subsequent performance there. However, I can’t help but think because Selmo was a Rule 5 pick the organization didn’t want to highlight him with a promotion (who doesn’t love a good conspiracy theory). He’s a kid I think will get a little bigger, I read that most think he has a good arm and will develop power down the line. Also, though I’m no expert, I like his swing. So, long story short, call it a semi-educated guess (because I know very little other than statistics about Soler). Overall, there were a lot of prospects, particularly outfielders, that are exciting in rookie ball this year. That’s got increase the chances of one or two of them panning out I would think.

PadsFS
    Participant

Closing the vote:

#46 – Julio Rodriguez, CA
    #47 – Casey Meisner, RHP
    #48 – Mateo Gil, SS
    #49 – Chase Pinder, CF
    #50 – Will Latcham, RHP

I didn’t realize Casey Meisner was 6’7″ tall and I guess I forgot that he was the return for Josh Lucas from the A’s. Interesting.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 737 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.