2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 737 total)
  • Author
    UncleDenny
    Participant

Lane Thomas, Genesis Cabrera, Luken Baker, Seth Elledge, Ivan Herrera in that order.

PadsFS
    Participant

Can Carlson still play CF?

UncleDenny
    Participant

Some of us are surprised Carlson wasn’t playing first base with the abundance of outfielders and he played it some in high school. There are better CF’ers in the pipeline and he’s been used in corner recently.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

# 11 – Tommy Edman – He was the MVP of the AAA playoffs. Yes, he had to share it with Arozarena who had a masterful final game, but was scarce in most of the others. The Redbirds, in my book, went as Edman led them….to a championship. He has passed Sosa as our top SS prospect and the one thing he did all year….produce, produce, produce!

# 12 – Randy Arozarena – He’s another development year away from forcing his way onto the MLB roster and he’ll be an exciting player when he gets here.

# 13 – Griffen Roberts – Trust in the Cardinal scouting staff!

# 14 – Luken Baker – The last behemoth we had like him was Matt Adams, but Baker can hit for a better average. It’s embarrassing to the GCL how easy Luken made it look. Got promoted to Peoria right away because he can put the bat on the ball.

# 15 – Ivan Herrera – First year state-side and he bats .348 as a 17 year old. .423obp, .500slg and .923ops. An excellent follow-up to a .332ba in the DSL last year.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11 – Adolis Garcia
    12 – Griffin Roberts
    13 – Randy Arozarena
    14 – Lane Thomas
    15 – Luken Baker

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

11. Woodford
    12. Roberts
    13. Adolis Garcia
    14. Baker
    15. Schrock

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

11) Dylan Carlson
    Posted a .731 OPS in the FSL at age 19, with a .136 isolated slugging.
    At 21 in the same league, Frank Thomas had a .785 and .122.
    At 21 in the same league, Jeff Bagwell had a .109 isolated slugging.
    And at 23 in the same league, Matt Carpenter hit .219/.286/.342. With a poorer BB/K than Carlson.

12) Ramon Urias
    Across AA and AAA he slashed .300/.356/.516, and played solid second base defense, with okay baserunning. The older brother of uber-prospect Luis Urias, Ramon is going to be a starter for someone at the MLB level in the next 3 or 4 years. The guy can hit, and his contact rates are sound.

13) Ivan Herrera
    As Wiley pointed out, the Panamanian backstop has posted extraordinary numbers at the dish. In his two years he’s had a 155 wRC+ in the Dominican Summer League in 2017, and then topped it with a 160 in the Gulf Coast League this year. Glove looks fine so far. Might be a special player.

14) Lane Thomas

15) Edmundo Sosa
    Like Lane Thomas, Edmundo made it all the way to AAA at age 22. Also like Thomas, he should have an MLB career of some duration due to a balance of O and D contributions. With better plate discipline he’s a starting shortstop for someone. Or a superior utilityman, at least.

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11. Lane Thomas
    12. Adolis Garcia
    13. Randy Arozarena
    14. Dylan Carlson
    15. Jake Woodford

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson
    Perez
    Woodford

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

11. Randy Arozarena – Raked at in the Mexican League and AA. Struggled with the bat in AAA but came on in the playoffs to the tune of .407/2HR/9RBI and a 1/1 SO/W ratio. Really the only outfielder in the system with true 5 tool potential, IF he can get to his potential.

12. Genesis Cabrera – Again, best left handed stuff in the system. Still young, if he can harness, he may lessen the blow of Tommy Pham’s big finish (and whatever he gives them the next three years) with the Rays. I may be pulling a little too hard because of that and he’s a left handed starter (currently).

13. Adolis Garcia – Bonus points for giving Tyler O’Neill a little competition on the body front. Best outfield arm in the system. If he develops a better approach at the plate, is one of the best talents in the system.

14. Dylan Carlson – Dylan Carlson is like eating your vegetables. Good for you, but not exciting. You see he has a great approach at the plate, but it’s still surprising to me that he is an above average hitter, which is a real feat at any age in the FSL. I am confident he will be a major league hitter, not sure about the outfielder part. He should develop power as he continues to mature, but I think that will push him to 1B. I can’t wait to see if the Cardinals push him to AA as a 20 yr old. If so, that could be where he breaks out.

15. Griffin Roberts – I chalk most of this review up to reading scouting reports. Seems to be a great slider with a good fastball and developing change. Frankly he sounds a lot like Dakota Hudson lite. Interested to see him pitch next year.

PadsFS
    Participant

Mrperkins, we are voting for five at a time now if you see this before I close the vote. 18 voters in so far.

PadsFS
    Participant

Great comments too everyone. I’m experiencing a lot of buyer’s remorse after reading these comments about Carlson, Edman, Urias, and Baker.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11-Garcia 12-Thomas 13- Cabrera 14-Roberts 15-Wisdom

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

27, I had left Wisdom off my list. Thanks for the reminder.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I count 20 voters so far… I counted MrP’s 3 votes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a short comment. I appreciate the participation, especially the sharing of logic. This is your process, but I do check in periodically. Thank you for being involved!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Wisdom even going to be in the system next year? I like what he’s brought off the bench this September, but the 3B-1B cupboard is fairly full.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

P.S. I recapped your top 10 on today’s minor league podcast with Danny Mac. Perhaps a few new participants will stop by. (If you are new to the site and reading this, you are more than welcome to join in the voting!)

14NyquisT
    Participant

I was reading about the comments on Carlson moving to 1B. At 6’3″ he has the right kind of frame for first and with 376 ABs at Palm Beach he should be ready for Springfield. Palm Beach is tough on hitters and he just might break out at AA, because other than May and Aug., Carlson’s numbers at PB were very good.

If Nogowski moves up to Memphis there’s an opportunity right there. While the OF could be crowded at Springfield with Pinder, Drake, Mieses, Roache already there. Plus the unsettled situation in the OF at St Louis will effect both AAA and AA rosters.

He’ll only be 20 next month so the push to AA may be too early… and then again, he already has 3 years of full season pro ball under his belt. I think with a good ST he goes up whether it be in the OF or at 1B.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is Wisdom even going to be in the system next year? I like what he’s brought off the bench this September, but the 3B-1B cupboard is fairly full.

Actually the top of the system is actually a little barren of 1B-3B prospects. I have no idea if he will be here next year or not. I like his results so far which are better than I expected. As long as he is here and under team control for next year, he deserves fair condideration. If he goes by the wayside later so be it. Others just move up one.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nyquis, Roache will be a minor league FA. I dont see him coming back to play AA ball again. Other OF candidates for Springfield include Capel (finished strong at PB), Hurst (.354 at PB in small sample size), and Billings. Trosclair is the logical primary 1B but they could promote McCarvel, use O’Keefe, or even move Montero. Or the could move Carlson. It probably depends a lot on how much they like Baker’s profile at 1B.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I realize there’ll probably be a need for a first baseman after Carp’s contract expires post-2020, but I like Dylan Carlson much more in RF than anywhere else. He could fit there by 2021, or mayyybe even some point in 2020, with Tyler O’Neill shifting to LF after Marcell Ozuna presumably leaves via free agency.

I have heard that Carlson has the natural agility, the graceful footwork for first base, and it would be kinda nice for a change to have a plus defender at the cold corner. But the thing is, you’re wasting his valuable arm over there.

Carlson has played 140 games in right field as a pro, and he’s gunned 22 runners while committing just 5 errors. Tyler O. on the other hand, has played nearly double that, 260 games in RF, and has a 25/13 assist/error ratio. Not bad at all, but not nearly the equal of Carlson.

I have a feeling it’s Montero or Gorman who winds up at 1B, and they’ll need a post-Carp stopgap for a year before either can take over long term starting in 2022. Something like that.

I say all this, and then they’ll probably just give Carp a 3-year extension this winter.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have always been amazed at the number of guys who are listed as CF-1B. Shane Peterson comes to mind but there have been lots of others. Just seems like if you can play CF then your next position would be more defensively demanding than 1B.

PadsFS
    Participant

With the late surge, Carlson takes over as the #11 prospect.

Lane Thomas follows as the #12 prospect. Randy Arozarena is #13. Griffin Roberts is #14. With Genesis Cabrera trailing at #15.

So, in summary:

#11 – Dylan Carlson, OF
    #12 – Lane Thomas, OF
    #13 – Randy Arozarena, OF
    #14 – Griffin Roberts, RHP
    #15 – Genesis Cabrera, LHP

Voting is open for #16-20

PadsFS
    Participant

My votes are

#16 – Jake Woodford, RHP
    #17 – Adolis Garcia, OF
    #18 – Evan Kruczynski, LHP
    #19 – Justin Williams, OF
    #20 – Edmundo Sosa, SS

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 737 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.