2018 Reg Seas Game #71 – at Phillies – Tue 6/19

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #71 – at Phillies – Tue 6/19

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m. RHP Luke Weaver (3-6, 4.52) vs. RHP Vince Velasquez (5-7, 4.74) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many Ks for the nearly 5 ERA pitcher tonight? Over/under at 8.5?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good question, but why not:

How many runs are the CArds gonna score tonight?!

or

How many runs are we gonna keep them from scoring tonight?

If we go on trends Mikolas wouldnt have given up what he did in the 1st inning yesterday, we also woudlnt have tied the game or taken the lead or had any chance with 19Ks…but he did and we did…

I dont like our trend of striking out so much…but it hasnt stopped us from being in games nor still being in the playoff fight or the division…or even the game last night

I find great pleasure in the fact that the guy who was so awesome for them last night didnt get the decision…the game is 9 innings long and sometimes longer…and sometimes 27 outs becomes 28…The Cardinals coudlnt get to him until the very end but they finally did…and knocked him out and alsmot stole the game despite his greatness

Reminds me of the Halladay Carpenter playoff matchup…Furcal gets that early triple and gets in on a sac fly i believe…and then Carp deals….and he wasnt as good as Halladay was after that run Halladay was awesome…but that run was all we needed…and Carp didnt have to be perfect to win the game

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Velasquez has a higher K rate than Pivetta, so you might be setting the over/under too low, stlcard25. MLB average is 8.55 Ks per game. Cards’ offense averages 8.67 Ks per game. Velasquez averages 10.8 Ks per 9 innings. Pivetta averages 10.7 Ks per 9 innings. We’ll see, hopefully they’ll make adjustments quicker tonight, if need be.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro, I was thinking he’ll only pitch 6 innings or so but the way the Cy Youngs fly against the Cards on a regular basis, maybe he will throw a complete game.

Seriously though, they are due to get to a starter early. I hope that Weaver gets at least a quality start and the offense can chase Velasquez early.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I hope you’re right and we get to him early, but I mis-read your post. I was thinking how Ks for the game, not just against Velasquez. Weaver hasn’t been going deep into games, so we need good productivity with the bats tonight to take the pressure off him and the pen.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Get the bullpen loose at the end of the 4th. Luke 5 inning dream Weaver is on the bump.

This team is a complete disaster right now

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To bring over from another thread…Greg Garcia should get a start or two here either at SS or 2B. If it wasn’t for Carp and his inability to hit away from leadoff, I’d say he would be perfect at leadoff and move everyone down one with Pham dropping to 5th or 6th.

Garcia
    Carpenter
    Martinez
    Ozuna
    Pham
    Molina
    Fowler
    Wong

Maybe Kolten can get going but I think the lineup could score some runs.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would sure be nice if Hudson was coming up rather than Holland. Or Bowman never came back either.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bowman has been serviceable for 2 full seasons and he is still young.Too early to give up on him .As for Holland-i said signing him was a mistake and sadly that has proven right

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Fowler, Muñoz and Wong in front of the pitcher is tough. Maybe Wong will step it up after his big hit last night. I would’ve considered Garcia over Muñoz for this game.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

cubs lost a heart breaker today. One strike away a cubs’ victory, Farmer doubled on a 2-2 pitch with 2 outs in the top of the 9th to drive in two runs to put the Dodgers ahead 4-3. Jansen saved it in the bottom of the 9th.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I have to laugh at Fowler in the lineup with anyone with a plus fastball. He’s had trouble making contact and catching up to anyone who throws over 95. lol

Munoz has been lost at the plate and in the field yet we throw him out there again with Garcia who at least is better defensively.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Weaver gets in some trouble in the first and gives up a run. Still not out of it.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not the start our pen needed from Weaver — 30 pitches, two walks and gives up a run in the first. Phils lead 1-0.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Young Cardinal starting pitchers lead the league in talent……but also in number of pitches per inning. Weaver holds serve with 30 in the 1st. 1-0 Phils.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There we go echoing each other again, Euro.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Either you got slower or I sped up, Pugs. You’ve been a tad quicker than me recently.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cy Velasquez looking mighty tough in the early going.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bottom of the order just does not scare anyone right now. Good on Fowler to draw the walk I guess.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The graphic they just flashed said that Velasquez has a 6.88 ERA at home this year. That’s really not good but St Louis has struggled all year with these kinda guys.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have the feeling you are going to leave me in a cloud of dust tonight, Euro….if it’s one thing we’ve learned around here it’s that Euro doesn’t take kindly to finishing second for very long…..I wish our Cardinals would take on that mantra….ooops…..I better not get Jags riled up again.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Back to back walks to bring up one of last night’s heroes. Come on, Wong.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong hit the ball solidly but the Phillies had him played perfectly, so it’s a whimper of an inning in the end.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years