2018 Reg Seas Game #58 – vs. Marlins – Tue 6/5

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #58 – vs. Marlins – Tue 6/5

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most of baseball is off Monday for the draft. Play resumes Tuesday.

7:15 p.m. Carlos Martinez (3-2, 1.62) tentative vs. Jose Urena (0-7, 4.41) FOX Sports 1/KMOX

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos on 3 days rest? Granted he only threw 60+ pitches. I guess Gomber might be staying and misht pitch again in this game, if needed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He pitched on Thursday, so Tuesday would be a regular fifth day.

Participant

Paid - Annual

When CMart and Yadi are activated on Tuesday we all know that Kelly will be sent down but who will the other player be to go? I guess it could be a pitcher or it could be Voit. Also, when does Gant come back up? He belongs in St. Louis and could help our pen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As mentioned in our Minor League Notebook this morning, Gant is Memphis’ scheduled starter Tuesday night.

There is also another likely roster move in that Greg Garcia’s wife is having a baby and he is leaving the team to be with them.

Finally, there are the questions of whether they will have Knizner and Kelly split at-bats with Memphis and what happens with Baron?

Participant

Paid - Annual

How often do does Memphis need a DH? I would hope a priority would be given to Kelly and Knizner so one catches and the other DHs as often as possible.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I missed the minor league notebook. I should have read that first I suppose. I guess the Cardinals want to keep Gant stretched out as a sixth starter since Reyes is out again. While that is understandable I still think he would look good in our pen. Hopefully they will keep Gomber around though.

Participant

Free

Did the Gonzales for O’Neill trade end up (at this point) being win-win for both clubs? Gonzales is looking great in the Mariners rotation and O’Neill is doing well here. Both filled holes that were noticeable for both ballclubs. Excellent trade.

Participant

Free

So Martinez and Molina are back today. Who do they send down? O’Neill and Kelly? BW mentioned Garcia may leave for paternity reasons.

Then who gets bounced from Memphis? Baron and Martinez at CA?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i assumed Kelly (confirmed in PD i believe)…and Garcia to paternity was the route…but Voit down seems the other option

as for the catcher situation…i just figured we woudl go back to pre Molina injury status

Kelly and Baron at AAA

Knizner and Jeremy at AA

even with Knizner’s success at AAA it wouldnt hurt him to be at AA, or at least wouldnt hurt him as much as it would hurt Kelly to STILL not get every day ABs in a time at AAA

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Did the Gonzales for O’Neill trade end up (at this point) being win-win for both clubs? Gonzales is looking great in the Mariners rotation and O’Neill is doing well here. Both filled holes that were noticeable for both ballclubs. Excellent trade.

Looks like it could turn out that way. O’Neill has not been given much of a chance at the big league level yet, so for now it’s a “too early to tell” deal. Am glad that Marco has been doing well though.

Now, lets hope this series is not a repeat of the Twins games, where we had a good weekend against a division rival, then fell flat on our collective faces against a weaker opponent.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

O’Neill was sent down last week.

Participant

Free

That doesn’t take away from how well he’s done in becoming a legitimate prospect.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not ink The Kid ( Gorman ) this afternoon and send him out to 3rd base against the Marlins tonight? This isn’t the 20th century anymore ( Robin Yount and Joe Nuxell excluded ) where these youngsters had to be babied for 4-5 years before even being allowed to sniff a dog at a ML ballpark. Even if only for a game. Why not get an inkling on what we really have in this kid. If at 18 years old he’s chomping at the bit with the prospect of taking the field right off the bat, then you know for sure you have a real blue chipper. If he should start stuttering or becoming silent with the news, then watch out…..we’ve just flushed another 1.6MM down the drain.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why do some people think O’Neill has done well? Seems like all he does is strikeout to me.

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Urena is 0-7 but that ERA is not bad enough to warrant that bad a record. Here’s hoping he is 0-8 after tonight.

Excited to see Cmart and Yadi back!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the Carlos and Yadi moves come a couple more…Garcia to paternity leave, Baron DFA and Guilmet gets the call (and the add to the 40 man).

Participant

The Cardinals announced that right-handed pitcher Preston Guilmet has been purchased from Memphis and infielder Greg Garcia has been placed on the paternity list.

The Cardinals optioned catcher Carson Kelly to Memphis following Sunday’s game and today they optioned right-handed pitcher Mike Mayers to the Triple-A club. Memphis catcher Steven Baron has been designated for assignment to make room for Guilmet on the team’s 40-man Major League roster.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That doesn’t take away from how well he’s done in becoming a legitimate prospect.

That wasn’t the purpose of my comment. You had speculated that O’Neill might be sent down to accommodate the additions of Molina & CMart to the 25-man. My comment was simply a reminder that O’Neill was not going to be involved in today’s moves.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I understand that with Mayers having options he (along with Brebbia) is the odd man out. But seriously, he’s been of the better pitchers out of the pen. Do we really need 3 left handed relievers in the pen? I guess yes since Cecil sucks.

Participant

Free

So based on this instagram pic, I don’t understand the need to DFA Baron

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am pretty sure the 40-man spot will be needed soon. Anyway, Memphis does not need three catchers and Baron is very replaceable if it ever gets to that.

On your other point, Gomber is likely thought of as more of a long man than a situational lefty. It seemed like Lyons used to be used that way, but now he is facing just a batter or two.

Participant

Free

So Lyons is now the LOOGY. And Brian that was my point about the 40-man roster. Why DFA Barron when Sherriff just had TJS? Makes no sense to me. I mean I get Barron is way down the totem pole but it just seems that move didn’t have to be made with Sherriff’s situation.

However, with that said, this tweet is eyebrow raising:

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

For some reason I decided to watch the FS1 pregame.

Jeter
    Jeter
    Jeter

Gag

Puke

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years