2018-2019 Offseason Needs/Outlook

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018-2019 Offseason Needs/Outlook

Viewing 9 posts - 176 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is true about the farm systems. Mad trader Jerry Dipoto has raided the farm with all of his trades.

Other factors would be that the Mariners probably don’t have the payroll capacity the Cardinals have and the Mariners probably look around the AL and see the Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees, and say to themselves “we don’t have a chance”. I mean the Rays won 90 games last year and got nothing but a complimentary set of steak knives.

The Cards, on the other hand, look around at the NL and say “with the right couple of moves we can beat those guys.”

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards could pry Diaz from Seattle without giving up Hicks (maybe Hudson as the centerpiece?), sign Kimbrel, and Jmart for Taylor Rogers…that could be an elite bullpen:

Kimbrel
    Diaz
    Hicks
    Rogers
    Shreve
    Brebbia
    Leone
    Mayers

And that’s to say nothing about the guys who might not be in the rotation such as Gant, Ponce, Weaver, Waino and Reyes.

Participant

From today’s Post Dispatch on the GM meetings.

“The Cardinals have varying interest in lefty relievers Zach Britton and Andrew Miller, though they have some caution with the veteran Miller and his recent missed time. And at the same time, the Cardinals have gathered intel on Harper’s desires, Mike Moustakas’ market and Josh Donaldson, too.”

I guess its a start for the boys upstairs.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My questions are very simple:

“How big?”
    “Which edge?”

Participant

Free

Just a bunch of owner speak.

We’ll see how big of a cliff.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

More from BDW…

Participant

Free

One thing the Cardinals need to keep in mind while trying to make moves this winter is how they are going to structure this team for the next few years. Over the next few years there are quite a few important pieces of this team that will have the opportunity to leave the team.

After 2019:
    Carpenter (2020 team option)
    Gyorko (2020 team option)
    Mikolas
    Wainwright
    Ozuna
    Wacha

After 2020:
    Molina
    Carpenter
    Gyorko
    Wong (2021 team option)

After 2021:
    Wong

There are others like Gregerson, Fowler, Cecil, Shreve, Leone and Layne that I didn’t include

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gyorko for 13mil in 2020 shouldnt happen. I don’t see him here that season.

Participant

Free

With Munoz making the team last year, and if Wisdom can do well this year, I wouldn’t see Gyorko on the team next year either

Viewing 9 posts - 176 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years