2018-2019 Offseason Needs/Outlook

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018-2019 Offseason Needs/Outlook

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

So then another year of making a trade for some guy that the fo will then say will solve all our problems and is just as good as the big free agents or close to it…all before we get another Ozuna type situation…we need to do both free agents and trades…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I suspect your glass is more than half-empty, LA. You have assumed that the only players worth adding are the big free agents.

The whole reason I made my post is that I am reading bloggers, sports columnists and Twitter, all ablaze with demands that the Cards must sign Bryce Harper. (Machado was included last week, but now he is a “punk”.)

There is more than one way to build a team.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, if you’re scenario happens I’d welcome it over being held hostage by the top FA’s searching for the highest bidder.

It also helps the FO avoid be snubbed by FA’s signing with big market clubs (pujols, price, heyward).

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I don’t say that we HAVE to sign a big FA, I just don’t think that we should ignore them altogether or think that trading is the only way to go, and so far we’ve seen some trades that didn’t go so well recently along with some FA signing’s that went bad as well, though all FA’s aren’t the same…

So no I’m not saying that we HAVE to sign Machado or Harper, just that they shouldn’t be ignored either and that our FO has a habit of not really trying to really better the team all that much, but rather hoping that they strike gold again with players and such…and 3 straight years of missing the playoffs and such will make one a big pessimistic, especially given how little the FO has done over the last few offseasons…there’s always additions but most lately haven’t done very well at all…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just as you did not say they have to sign a big FA, I did not say they would not sign free agents. I just doubt it will be either of the top two. And if that does not happen, a segment of the fan base will not care about anything else.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Brian:

Interesting prediction that they will move quickly and boldly in the trade market. I will await the outcome. You’re right, there is more than one way to build a winner. I just wish this Front
    office could find one of those ways.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On that, we can agree!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

They have to move quickly if trades are going to help relieve the 40 man rister crunch prior to the Rule 5 draft. Depending on how long the World Series last, their may be less than 3 weeks berween the WS and setting the 40 man rosters for the Rule 5 draft.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO traded for Ozuna which was a miss because he wasn’t that #4 batter that would put fear into the opposition. The FA signing of Fowler was just a waste of a lot of $$…. he was not what he was advertised as.

Now the FO is under pressure to hit a home run and get us a guy that you can install as the cleanup hitter and actually produce. I doubt it will be Harper, and if it isn’t, it will have to be a big name player. Another major blunder will have the fan base not showing up as usual and calling for a move upstairs.

A power hitter (preferably LH) is what the FO should be focusing on. I believe that right now we have enough MLB-ready pitchers to fill out the bullpen so don’t bring in any more clunkers.

Hey Mo, get us someone that will give us some optimism… but do some homework. Getting less than mediocre band-aids won’t cut it and is getting stale. Three strikes and you’re out… so they say.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards can try to move quickly on trades, but there is no saying other clubs will be ready. I wonder if this will be a problem. To get a feeling, I suppose one could go back and see how many trades occured between the end of the World Series and the third week in November in prior years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You might be right Brian. I’ve said all along there is more opportunity in this offseason than just Harper and Machado.

So before we eat our Thanksgiving turkey Mo will have:

1. Traded JMart to Minnesota for Taylor Rogers.
    2. Traded surplus pitching to the Dodgers for Joc Pederson.
    3. Signed Josh Donaldson to a two year $30M deal.
    4. Signed another veteran bullpen piece.

He can then spend the rest of the winter trying to figure out to get rid of Fowler and Cecil. See you in Jupiter.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think the Yankees are a potential trade partner, especially if they sign Machado.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

GScottar:

I like the way you think. I hope it all happens.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott, I like all your choices there. I’m not sure that Donaldson will come that cheaply, though. Perhaps a comp for him would be Yoenis Cespedes, but with the injury history and a bit older. Didn’t his contract include an opt out every year? Maybe Donaldson would go for 3yrs, $75 million with an opt out after each year? That way if he plays at an MVP level in 2019 he could opt out and still get a big deal or have the safety net of 2 yes and $50 million to fall back on. That’s probably more than I’d like to pay him, but it’s not crazy different than what I’d expect him to get.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how Donaldson could justify a deal like that. He literally couldn’t have had a worse walk year than what he just had. Given his age and injury problems he might be lucky to get more than a one year pillow deal. I thought I was being generous with the 2 year $30M.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edwin Encarnacion, a 33 year old 1B/DH with about the same hitting pedigree as Donaldson, got 3 years and $60 million before 2017. I understand that Donaldson had a bad year but I don’t think he takes a pillow deal and some teams will point to his solid finish to the season with Cleveland and take a bet on something closer to what he’s asking for. It may not be $25 million a year for 3 years, but don’t be shocked if the AAV or deal total is close.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You might be right, but if last winter was any indication, the market has changed significantly since the time players like Encanarcion and Fowler cashed in. Look at Moustakas last winter. Yikes.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s certainly possible. I do think that last winter’s market was depressed due to the impending bonanzas of 2018 and 19 coming up, so your big spenders weren’t in on as many players. Traditionally, that drives prices a bit higher. Kansas City, Minnesota and others were then able to sit back and get pretty good deals on guys that looked like easy $50-80 million players coming into 2017.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I have a sense that the FO will be having another regrettable off-season in the acquisition department. I just feel it in my bones.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It would be interesting to know who the FO plans to be our cleanup guy in ’19. O’Neill? He would have to come out of spring training knocking walls down. Ozuna could have a rebound season which would be nice. He could be the guy we traded for. That would help the FO in two ways.

14NyquisT
    Participant

One way to look at it… of CHI-MIL-STL, the one with the fewest days spent on the DL of their key players… wins it.

14NyquisT
    Participant

From Derrick Goold in today’s PD:

There have been 36 $100-million men. A fifth of them did not have an at-bat in 2018. At least a third were either injured for most of the season, ineffective, or already retired. The Cardinals “don’t want to bury the future to try to get a short-term fix today,” DeWitt said.

What is that saying?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What is the relevance that Kevin Brown or Alex Rodriguez is retired have to do with anything?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.